What does homebrewtalk think about a wheat IPA with kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
Playing with a recipe on my phone. what do you think?

Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Mash 152

1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
12 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
2.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Da

Edit: Replaced link to beer smith cloud recipe with actual recipe as I might not always keep it public/available.

I made a 5gal batch at the beginning of September and just had the first bottle last night. Used WY2565 Kolsch yeast. Made it an IPA by using 10oz of various citrusy and piney pellet hops, and 6oz more of fresh cascades in a whirlpool. Grain bill was pilsner malt and 30% wheat, with a little C15 as well. Fermented at 58F. I must say, I didn't have high hopes for this batch, it was more of an experiment. Although... wow, I am pleasantly surprised. One I would definitely brew again. The hops did cover up a fair amount of the distinct kolsch yeast character in the beer. If one knows it was brewed with a kolsch yeast, you can find it there, but it was subdued in the background.

Your recipe looks great. I did not use it myself, but the Nelson Sauvin in your recipe sounds perfect. If you are open to suggestions, hop it up even more. Throw in a whirlpool/hopstand addition, and more of that NSauvin for the dry hop. This yeast can handle the hops apparently.

Your recipe looks great. I did not use it myself, but the Nelson Sauvin in your recipe sounds perfect. If you are open to suggestions, hop it up even more. Throw in a whirlpool/hopstand addition, and more of that NSauvin for the dry hop. This yeast can handle the hops apparently.

Always open to more hops. I had bought a pound of nelson from my last IPA and have more than half of that left. I had centennial in the whirlpool. I can throw more nelson in this across the board. I also have a couple ounces of cascade I can drop in the whirlpool as well. I do like the idea of nelson sauvin playing as the back drop for the beer.

Back