what does filtering remove from water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baybrewer

Reaction score
I'm getting really good results so far in my brewing process and I think the next step towards improving my beer is with the water. I already have my pitching rates and fermentation under control and am getting very consistent results with my all grain set up.

So far I have just been using vending machine water and adding some 5.2. Now I want to switch to using my tap water, which I haven't used since some bad experiences with it.

My water report can be found here (I am in Antioch) http://www.ci.antioch.ca.us/CityGov/PublicWorks/Water/AWQR.pdf

I was thinking of getting this charcoal filter http://www.h2odistributors.com/matrikx+5.asp

any thoughts on that?

What will it remove from my water? What will I need to add to the water afterwards?

Do I need to use a food grade hose or will my regular garden hose be fine?

activated charcoal - if that is all it is - will only remove chlorine, related compounds, organic chemicals, etc. The ion concentrations (mineral content) should remain pretty much the same.

I've seen at least a couple posts here pointing the finger at their garden hose for off flavors. If it was me, I'd go w/ food grade.

charcoal/activated carbon will remove flavors, aromas, and chlorine/chloramine. it should also remove heavy metals like lead.

it should not touch hardness or pH though, and those are some important compounds when it comes to needing soft water for a proper German Pils, or harder water for a Stout.

You MUST use a potable water hose, usually white and blue, sold with the R/V equipment. Regular garden hose will have off flavors that will foul up your beer.

Your water looks pretty good. Never use regular garden hose like others have stated. I use RV hose for drinking water. Brewing is all it is used for. Look up palmers How to Brew book on line and read about water. Lot of good information and may give you some understanding. I am trying to wrap my brain around water and additions. There are also sveral good water spread sheets that will help, but if it tastes good brew with it.

Reg. Garden Hose = lead. Don't use it. Charcoal filter will basically only remove the "bad" things like Cl-, but won't effect the mineral content much. A Brita water filter is a charcoal filter. You can also buy a "whole house" filter at Lowes. Its like $30 for the housing and a couple of filters. Highly recommend it. You can fill it up straight from the tap and receive filtered water into your kettle.

I use vinyl tubing (whatever length you need, its like 20cents/ft @ Lowes) and clamp the end to a brass water spigot w/ barbed nipple. Clamp the other end to your filter. Use vinyl tubing for the out of the filter too. Its cheap and works great in this situation. And its clear so you can see if anything is growing in it or whatever...

Go to the brewing network. Locate the podcast from the Brew Strong show that deals with water treatment. Also, download John Palmer's excel worksheet that helps with any mineral additions.

This will explain just about everything you need. The charcoal filter is a good start. Your water is fine and favors malty styles without any adjustments.

Two things I notice:

1. It lacks a decent amount of Calcium (the number needed for mashing) and you will probably be adding CaCl or Gypsum (most likely Gypsum) to every mash

2. If you fly sparge, your water pH is quite high and you should probably add lactic acid to your sparge water to keep the mash pH in range during the sparge.

Back