What does Automated Brewing mean to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
When you think about automated brewing what does it mean?

It seems that to some people automated brewing is a RIMS or HERMS system that automatically maintains the mash temp but everything else, including mash step timing is automated. To others it's the PicoBrew Pico.

There is so much area from one to the other that maybe it's time for some general nomenclature to differentiate systems so that we all know what we're talking about when we describe systems and their capabilities.

This came up as I was planning on building a new electric brew system and trying to decide exactly how automated I should make it, from the above mentioned mash temp control to, well, not quite to a PicoBrew type of automation but close.

With the proliferation of tools that are coming out for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PC, and other processors it can be very difficult to get up to speed on what all is available and what the different tools really offer.

I'm new enough to automated brewing that I don't have a place to start but I am hoping that the more experienced automation gurus can chime in.

When I think of automated; I think of PID's, BCS or other controllers that turn stuff on or off and control processes. RIMS and HERMS in my opinion is not something that is automated unless it is being controlled by a PID, BCS or other controller it doesn't automatically maintain the temperature unless a controller (automated) or you (manual) turns on pumps and opens valves.

Could be anything from simply maintaining HLT temperature through pump and valve control.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what automation means to me.
What matters is what automation means to the author of what I'm reading...

Cheers!

Automation means replacing manual steps with automatic ones. This (in theory) reduces manual effort and increases repeatability while adding cost and complexity. I happen to be a big fan of automation. You can build automated brew systems in stages, converting manual steps one at a time, until the brewery is fully automated (if that's your goal). Examples of the ongoing levels:

1. Fixed electronic temp probes
  2. Automatic temp control (thermostat or PID controller)
  3. Electric element or solenoid gas valves
  4. Timers / alarms
  5. Wort movement via pumps
  6. Electronic sequencing controller
  7. Fluid sensors (volume, flow, pressure)
  8. Liquid valves for wort or water
  9. Full logic, networked, programmable sequencing controller
  10. On demand milling / ingredient feeders

I built my rig in stages. Short of the initial prep and few minor interactions during a brew (doughing in, measuring pH, setting a sensor level, controlling the chill rate valve), it can do a brew end to end. I just wish it could fully clean up after itself!!

Like others have said Automation is just simply removing a manual step. You can do this with mechanical devises, digital electric, relays, float switches , both mechanical or electric. It's taking something you used to have to monitor and adjust and removing yourself from that process.

My system is digital electric with electric float switches and solenoid valves, relays and temp controls. Its not "fully automated" but it's what I can a "set it and forget it" kind of automation system. The killer thing about building a system yourself is you get to design all the automation of the things you don't like to do. You don't like to deal with the sparge water flow...Automate it! Don't like watching the temp on the HLT....Automate it! Don't like cleaning up....Uhhhh Yeah GOOD LUCK! :)

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20160221_152533928 (2).jpg

1. Fixed electronic temp probes
  2. Automatic temp control (thermostat or PID controller)
  3. Electric element or solenoid gas valves
  4. Timers / alarms
  5. Wort movement via pumps
  6. Electronic sequencing controller
  7. Fluid sensors (volume, flow, pressure)
  8. Liquid valves for wort or water
  9. Full logic, networked, programmable sequencing controller
  10. On demand milling / ingredient feeders

I built my rig in stages. Short of the initial prep and few minor interactions during a brew (doughing in, measuring pH, setting a sensor level, controlling the chill rate valve), it can do a brew end to end. I just wish it could fully clean up after itself!!

The killer thing about building a system yourself is you get to design all the automation of the things you don't like to do. You don't like to deal with the sparge water flow...Automate it! Don't like watching the temp on the HLT....Automate it! Don't like cleaning up....Uhhhh Yeah GOOD LUCK! :)

This is what I was getting at. I think that moving past "insrumentation" where we have remote display for temperature we start to come into automation with something as simple a pid controlled heating element for any one part of the process. And just like there is BIAB, stove top, single/dual/triple vessel etc. systems that are all brewing there is a wide range of systems that are "automated".

I like what you said about automate what you don't like Jay. That's exactly how I started the process of decided what to build while making the OP. I sort of went through a traditional brew day and thought about the things that were tedious and/or error prone for my manual process. Those are the things I want to work on first.

For me that is:
  • process management (push button not fliip a bunch of valves manually)
  • mash water temp/volume
  • water/mash movement
  • step mashing temp management (I currently don't have a RIMS or HERMS set up)
  • Boil additions

Currently I'm all gravity with a 10g Gott cooler and a keggle, so I'm starting at the start. Of course, once you start planning the incremental additions are small enough that you want to just do them all but they do start to add up....

Brundog, that's a great looking system and a great build thread. I haven't managed to get through it all yet but I'm sure it will be helpful as I design/build.

dsniegocki: thanks for the link, I'll check out the thread.

Automated Brewing, to me, is exactly about taking manual steps, and letting equipment or controllers handle that step. The goal, for me, is ease of brewing, and repeatability.

Definitely "automated" is too general without qualifiers. I think of it in categorizations. Temperature automation is the first step and represents the majority of electric systems (and also all the old Brutus 10 clones). The next step is flow automation which when combined with timers and temp control can run almost completely unattended. From there you get into full automation which at least the Picobrew would be included. Systems like the Brew-Boss are pretty close to fully automated when combined with the automatic hopping thing, but you do have to get your hands on for the grain addition and removal. There are too many hybrids to be perfectly specific.

Back