What does Abt mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
Westvleteren Abt 12, St. Bernardus Abt 12... etc.

I have know idea what the abt or the 10 or 12 means. Anyone?

So the Abt 12 means it was created under the rule of the 12th abbot? Will there then inevitably be an Abt 13, 14, 15, etc?

I am about 90% sure that abt. stands fro abtei or abbey in English. As in 'brewed at the Westvleteran Abbey'.

The numbers generally represent what we would call a double (8), triple (10), and quadruple (12). That is a broad stroke but it is as close to a good explanation as I can think of.

So the Abt 12 means it was created under the rule of the 12th abbot? Will there then inevitably be an Abt 13, 14, 15, etc?

No, the numbers are corresponding to alcohol strength and style. They have nothing to do with the Abbey classification of the beer.

The numbers originally represented "degrees belgian" which would be (SG - 1)*100 (so a 1.120 beer is 12 degrees Belgian).

In current use they don't really accurately describe any quality of the beer. Bigger numbers mean a bigger beer though.

I am about 90% sure that abt. stands fro abtei or abbey in English. As in 'brewed at the Westvleteran Abbey'.

The numbers generally represent what we would call a double (8), triple (10), and quadruple (12). That is a broad stroke but it is as close to a good explanation as I can think of.

I only said I was 90% sure not to be a dick. It stands for abbey: a Christian monastery or convent, under the government of an Abbot or an Abbess, who serves as the spiritual father or mother of the community.

In Belgian, an abbey is an abtei (abt.).

As has been mentioned, the numbers used to represent a specific beer gravity but now doesn't really mean anything but can generally be called double, triple, and quadruple.

From what I've read, Abt stands for Abbot and is referencing a system of naming beers based on the ecclesiastical title system.

Following the trend, you can find the St. Bernardus beers of lower ABV named Pater 6 and Prior 8. These also reference the aforementioned ecclesiastical title system.

To further support this theory, commonly served in monasteries is something called Patersbier, or Father's beer; a low ABV beer meant for the general beer drinking needs of the Fathers at the monastery.

It seems like the naming system originally came about to classify the strength of brews, highest tier being the Abbot which is also the head of the monastery. Because of the nature of various styles of beer, Abt became less associated solely with strength and more about the related style of brew, similar to Belgian Quadrupels but usually slightly darker and influenced more by the flavor of yeast and dark fruits.

I also recall hearing that Abt was a term pioneered by Westvleteren and St. Bernardus; similar beers became similarly categorized.

Ok, done beergeeking out. Hope this is helpful!

While growing up I was always told that the "Abt" name was derived from Abbot. My family came from Frankfurt, Germany, and supposedly there is an outlying town called Abtville.

I only said I was 90% sure not to be a dick. It stands for abbey: a Christian monastery or convent, under the government of an Abbot or an Abbess, who serves as the spiritual father or mother of the community.

In Belgian, an abbey is an abtei (abt.).

As has been mentioned, the numbers used to represent a specific beer gravity but now doesn't really mean anything but can generally be called double, triple, and quadruple.

Not sure how old this post is, but thanks.

I just bought a 4 pack sampler and was wondering what abt meant. Great explanation my man. I'm drinking the pater 6 now. Would you know what pater is in reference to?

Not sure how old this post is, but thanks.

I just bought a 4 pack sampler and was wondering what abt meant. Great explanation my man. I'm drinking the pater 6 now. Would you know what pater is in reference to?

It means father.

Back