What do you wear when you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy

Reaction score
I made a video. I made it mostly to amuse myself. It is about what I wear to work. Over the years I have destroyed a lot of 100% cotton pants by getting tiny drops of cleaning chemicals on them. At some point I noticed that the Dickies work shirt I had been wearing for 5 years was not damaged at all. It is 65%/35% Polyester/cotton. I know wear Dickies work pants. They are half the price of my old favorite Carhartts, and they don't get damaged by the chemicals.
Here is the video. Please pardon my cursing:
https://youtu.be/UOpIjoNYYyM

Comfortable shoes! No, but really I go for comfort. T shirt and athletic shorts, ballcap and tennis shoes.

I bought two shirts from Goodwill that I try to brew in, and one shows a status bar and reads "Alcohol loading..."; the other one is a sexually suggestive behavior for the NFC east.

Lol!

What a stupid post. Wait a minute, I DO need to get some awesome brewing specific attire. What was I thinking!?

I won't bore you with the brewing naked story.

Oh, wait, yes I will. For those of you who have already heard it move on..........

Anyway, I usually brew in a T-shirt and shorts and barefeet. One day I was brewing, and I decided that the plastic hydrometer tubing I was using needed a good bleach soak. I was wearing one of my favorite brewery t-shirts and an awesome pair of cargo shorts, so I just took them off. I noticed I had the nicest pair of Victoria Secret's undies on, and they are like $18 per pair, so I took them off too so I didn't spill bleach on my nice clothes.

Just then, the timer went off so I went to dough in my mash. I take about 10 minutes to do that, stirring well. Well, there I stood, stark naked without even flipflops on, stirring my mash. I was just finishing up, and noticed my husband standing in the doorway. He must have come in to ask me something, but didn't want to interrupt.

I said something like "OMG. I bet you're wondering why I"m brewing totally naked????" He just looked at me, and said, "No, not really. I came in to ask you when the oil change is due on the Jeep."

I answered him, and he left. After I put away the mash paddle and started the recirculation, I rinsed my equipment I was bleaching and got my clothes back on.

I tried to explain why I was brewing totally naked, but he just brushed me off and said "I've been married to you for 17 years. Nothing you do surprises me". And that was that.

Oh, wait, yes I will. For those of you who have already heard it move on..........

Anyway, I usually brew in a T-shirt and shorts and barefeet. One day I was brewing, and I decided that the plastic hydrometer tubing I was using needed a good bleach soak. I was wearing one of my favorite brewery t-shirts and an awesome pair of cargo shorts, so I just took them off. I noticed I had the nicest pair of Victoria Secret's undies on, and they are like $18 per pair, so I took them off too so I didn't spill bleach on my nice clothes.

Just then, the timer went off so I went to dough in my mash. I take about 10 minutes to do that, stirring well. Well, there I stood, stark naked without even flipflops on, stirring my mash. I was just finishing up, and noticed my husband standing in the doorway. He must have come in to ask me something, but didn't want to interrupt.

I said something like "OMG. I bet you're wondering why I"m brewing totally naked????" He just looked at me, and said, "No, not really. I came in to ask you when the oil change is due on the Jeep."

I answered him, and he left. After I put away the mash paddle and started the recirculation, I rinsed my equipment I was bleaching and got my clothes back on.

I tried to explain why I was brewing totally naked, but he just brushed me off and said "I've been married to you for 17 years. Nothing you do surprises me". And that was that.

Close the thread now because we have a winner! :)

He's a lucky guy ... :D

Deep in MN winter? When you can't tell if someone is male or female because of the 20 layers of clothing? Or mid summer when it is a tank top and shorts because it gets over 120 in the garage?

Holy moly, I knew this thread was going to be hilarious just from the title . . . . .

So I brew in a shared homebrew club maintained brewery space (www.chaosbrewclub.net) and the stainless steel double utility sink has big sprayers that are harnessed up on the ceiling. Bottom-line, when we're washing out the 20 gallon brew kettles and mash tuns, making up 10 gallons of PBW, etc. a lot of water gets splashed around.

The edge of the sinks hit me right below the waist, and every stinking brew day I get soaked from my belly to my crotch. Its an appealing look.

this is pretty much what I look like at the end of a brew day, more or less, just ask the people who know me

40f3bc4630074079a483036b1bd60c39.jpg

Smurfie, you've seen me with clothes on. And seeing me WITH clothes on is bad enough- you should know that you'd never want to see me without them.

Trust me. Some things are much better left to the imagination.

Don't sell yourself too short there yoops ... :mug:

LMAO....these are awesome. I usually wear my jammies & crocs (don't judge me they are comfortable to my wide-a$$ feet with bunions), also an ancient zip-up hoodie. I usually get an early early start at 5am and I'm always too excited to get my brewday going to bother with day clothes. Besides, I know I'm going to get sticky & wet at some point, so what's the point?

Uh, I will be back in like 5 minutes....

How about can someone recommend some comfortable cheap gloves that can stand up to the cleansing fluids?

The Yooper Brewing Style story was something I thought I'd read way long ago, so it had passed from fabled tale, to legend and into myth.

The one story to rule them all.

i brew indoors, in my basement. normal setup is boxers, t-shirt and bare feet. it can get a little warmer in the summer so sometimes it is just the boxers.

A pointy birthday style hat, a wrestling singlet with a furry bright purple merkin over the top of it for protection against boiling wort. And wooden shoes.

This thread is hilarious! :ban:

Usually in the summer I brew in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. People think I am crazy for wearing flip flops while brewing, but then again I wear them for everything during the summer. The winter I am usually just bundled up in layers. If I am brewing at night and it's comfortable outside, I will usually be in my pajamas (gym shorts, t-shirt or long sleeved shirt, flip flops or sneakers).

How about can someone recommend some comfortable cheap gloves that can stand up to the cleansing fluids?

There is a photo of Pappers_ wearing awesome Blichmann brewing gloves here on the forum somewhere. Of course, he's barefoot so that might make you go "hmmmm", but the gloves are awesome!

He can probably give you the details on the gloves.

Latest posts

Back