What do you use to clean your keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rorichmond

Reaction score
I just had the top cut out of my keg. Now I need to clean up the dust, metal shavings, and general residue on the keg. What are you guys using to clean your kegs before you boil in them? I don't need to buff it until it shines, just make sure it's clean.

Thanks,

Rob

If you can find Cascade Automatic Dishwashing powder that stuff has a good mix of enzymes intended for stainless steel.

Otherwise,

Bar Keepers Friend = Oxalic Acid which will repair (given a week after cleaning) any damage to the passive layer.

Oxyclean for general cleaning or PBW.

I also use Cascade Complete for light cleaning between brews and PBW or Oxyclean for periodic heavy cleaning.

I use oxyclean and hot water. A long handled pot scrubber from the kitchen for tough stains and crud. Rinse with clean water.

On brew day, I hit it with starsan, just to make sure.

aside from the acidic characteristics of star san, why else are you using it on your keggle "just to be sure"??

I don't see why you would need to sanitize your kettle, but the best cleaner I have found to date, is Bar Keepers Friend. It even has taken the discoloration off of the skirt on the bottom of the kettle.

I find that a long handled brush meant for cleaning tires works great in my keggle. It has very stiff white bristles. Most everything comes off with the brush and water. A little oxi-clean soak and I'm good to go.

I fill my 20 gallon Blingmann boilermaker to the brim with water, heat it to 150 degrees and add PBW. I let it soak for 30 minutes, then I drain the hot pbw and clean kegs with it. Works like a charm.

I fill my 20 gallon Blingmann boilermaker to the brim with water, heat it to 150 degrees and add PBW. I let it soak for 30 minutes, then I drain the hot pbw and clean kegs with it. Works like a charm.

Hey Ed, I know this is an old post, but this sounds like a great idea. How much PBW do you use on a 20 gallon pot? Do you find the heat makes a noticeable difference?

I normally use 6-7 heaping table spoons and hot (~130) tap water on my kegs and then leave over night.

Latest posts

Back