What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Going for a nice clean super hop forward American IPA.

5 gallon batch, partial mash.

9lbs Pils LME
1lb 2 Row Pale
8oz Vienna, add some body
8oz C-20
8oz White Wheat, for body and head retention

2oz Summit (14%) @ 60
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 30
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 10
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 5
2oz Centennial (9.2%) @ Flameout

Dry hop with more Centennial during the 3rd week of primary.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

That sounds like a beer I would like to taste! Looks like it is going to big and brawny. What do you estimate for OG and IBU, I'd guess ~1.075 and 70 at least. What yeast are you going to use?

I would personally ditch the centennial altogether and let the citra shine through. I would also nix the 30 minute addition, and just do a 15 minute citra and use the other 2 ounces at flameout. Citra has a great floral aroma.

That sounds like a beer I would like to taste! Looks like it is going to big and brawny. What do you estimate for OG and IBU, I'd guess ~1.075 and 70 at least. What yeast are you going to use?

~80 IBUs.
~ 1.080 SG

Planned on using WLP001.

I would personally ditch the centennial altogether and let the citra shine through. I would also nix the 30 minute addition, and just do a 15 minute citra and use the other 2 ounces at flameout. Citra has a great floral aroma.

Well I only have 3 or 4 oz of Citra. What about something like this.

2oz Summit (14%) @ 60
1oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 20
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 10
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 5
2oz Citra (11.1%) @ Flameout

Well I only have 3 or 4 oz of Citra. What about something like this.

2oz Summit (14%) @ 60
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 10
1oz Citra (11.1%) @ 5
2oz Citra (11.1%) @ Flameout

Oh my bad, that looks ok. I personally don't do 5 or 1 minute additions, a waste imo. You get WAY more aroma form an all flameout addition(you could just do 2oz of citra @ flameout and save some for dryhopping IF necessary). I would still double check your ibu's, 80 seems way to conservative for that hop bill.:mug:

Still with 4 oz's, you could ditch the centennial altogether, and still have plenty of citra. If you're hell bent on using it, that's ok as well.

_

I made an IPA in December with a mix of Citra and Centennial hops. It came out really nice. Here is my hop schedule from that beer.

1.125 Oz Warrior 17.2 AA @ 60
1.0 Oz Centennial 6.0 AA @ 10
1.0 Oz Centennial 6.0 AA @ 5
1.0 Oz Centennial 6.0 AA @ Flame Out
1.0 Oz Citra 11.0 AA @ Flame Out

Dryhopped with 1.0 oz each of Citra and Centennial

BeerTools and Beer Calculus are giving me very different results regarding the IBUs on this. Could someone weigh in?

I am doing a ~3.5 gallon boil. 5 gallon batch.

2oz Summit (14%) @ 60
1oz Centennial (9.2%) @ 10
3oz Citra (11.1%) @ Flameout

Yeah they are probably using different formulas. Beer Calculus defaults to tinseth but you can change it on the right hand side of the hops section. See if Rager matches up better.

The important part about the IBU formula is to pick one and stick with it for consistant results.

Yeah they are probably using different formulas. Beer Calculus defaults to tinseth but you can change it on the right hand side of the hops section. See if Rager matches up better.

The important part about the IBU formula is to pick one and stick with it for consistant results.
What forumla is the most widely used? For example, which one is used for the Brewing Association guidelines?

For an American IPA they list 50-70. 65-100 for IIPA.

Those are style guidelines.

The formula I'm talking about are the formulas used to calculate IBU's from your recipe.
The 3 I know of are Tinseth, Rager, and Garetz.

Look in beer calculus and you can change the formula it uses. It would not surprise me if beer tools allows you to pick your own formula as well.

IBU's are a unit of bitterness measurement you would find from a laboratory test. I have no idea how that part works but there is some kind of standard for it.

The formulas are used to approximate the IBU's from your recipe so you know what to expect.

The style guidelines are likely based on real IBU measurements (or whatever the brewer says the IBUs are) of the commercial examples of those styles.

Make sense?

Just to weigh in I'd personally keep the centennial in there in a reasonably prominent way with the citra.. citra-heavy brews can get too fruity-citrus for my blood. to each their own, of course. The combo works great together

I recently did a Citra IPA. 1.065 OG and around 70 IBU. Used 1lb caramel (I believe. 5 40l, .5 60l), .125 lb melanoiden, and .5 lbs of carapils. Bittered with Simcoe and used .75 oz Citra at 15 min, .5 at 5, and. 5 at 1. 2oz citra dryhop. It is full of tropical fruit in aroma and flavor. Lots of mango, pineapple. I think it is delicious, so does everyone else that has tried it.

Back