What do you think makes for a good (new) brewery website?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
So I'm going to start this thread with a rant to explain my motivation for posting it. Here's a ******** website that isn't an actual brewery site, but rather a KickStarter page for some guys who want to open a brewery and want other people to give them the money for it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31773828/the-barking-duck-brewing-co

Now, I'm not necessarily against using a KickStarter to help fund a brewery project (such as Wakefield) or an expansion for an existing brewery. But this entire thing comes off so unprofessionally, it's basically "our friends like our beer, so help us open a brewery!". Reading the description, there is nothing in there giving any substance about the business plan, their vision for the beer (other than "a fresh new approach to craft brewing", which is about the most meaningless statement I can think of), just a bunch of "yeah man craft beer rocks, give us money so we can turn our hobby into our dream job!" I mean, these guys apparently haven't even bought equipment yet and want to be open by the end of 2013? Give me a break.

Okay, rant over on that. One thing that page did do for me is cause me to pause and think about the current inadequacy of the brewery website for the brewery I'm unofficially involved with, Seminar Brewing (www.seminarbrewing.com). Now, my friends who are opening this brewery couldn't be more dissimilar from the guys linked to above if they tried: they've been planning it for 3 years, their business plan is extensive, they've secured capital funding through a small business loan while putting up a ton of their own assets as collateral, and despite being relatively far along in the planning process they aren't going to open for several more months because they want to make sure the beer is completely dialed in before they start selling it. But you wouldn't know a lot of that looking at the "About Us" part of their website, it's the same kind of vacuity about "this is how we got into craft beer, this is how we started homebrewing, etc."

So TL;DR: help me help them improve their website (even if it is just in a holding pattern at the moment; most of the action is on Facebook and Twitter) by offering advice on what content you want on a brewery's website, especially one that's relatively new rather than well-established. Think about what would cause you to want to give the brewery a chance versus "pffft, these guys don't sound professional or serious, Ill pass", if say, you were passing through the area and were looking up places to check out ahead of time.

Have very mixed feelings about kickstarter campaigns.

As for websites, they can certainly be more basic, if the focus is on populating the brewery's fb and twitter with compelling and engaging content. Folks are wasting most of their online time within social media, so why not hit them up there. However, always be cautious when building your primary form of outreach on someone's platform.

The two local breweries by me have gone in complete opposite directions regarding a website. Fort Myers brewing only has a facebook and it works perfectly. They post whats on tap, show pictures of what they are brewing, and you can easily access all of the breweries events. Point Y'bell on the other hand hasn't opened yet, but their facebook is just ok, and their website is really cool. They talk about why they are opening up a brewery, and keep you updated with the process on the brewery. I think my problem with the Barking Duck is that it seems like it was done in five minutes. It just doesn't seem like a lot of thought was put into it. I think as long as you get all of your info onto a website and make it look semiprofessional I'm happy. Sorry for the long response!

Have very mixed feelings about kickstarter campaigns.

As for websites, they can certainly be more basic, if the focus is on populating the brewery's fb and twitter with compelling and engaging content. Folks are wasting most of their online time within social media, so why not hit them up there. However, always be cautious when building your primary form of outreach on someone's platform.

*someone else's platform

And after reviewing the Seminar website--feels like a good start. Particularly consider the brewery isn't officially up and running/selling beer quite yet.

I think the website should be there to appropriately set someone's expectations before visiting the brewery/seeking out their beer.

NEBCO re-did their website a few months ago. http://www.newenglandbrewing.com/
Now it's a little better, but their beer sections are idiotic. By subtitling the "Drafts" header with "daily rotating offerings" people think there's a chance some of these beers might be available for growler fills when they stop in. So you get people coming in asking for Fuzzy Baby Ducks every day and being disappointed when they find out it's on for one day a year. Same thing with their "bottles & cans" page. Why show Zapata Bot (bottled once?) right next to the everyday beers like Elm City/Sea Hag. It just leads to confusion.

I think the Tree House Brewing Co. website lets you know what to expect before visiting. Their on tap page lists what's on for the weekend etc, while also having a separate page showing their rotational/occasional offerings. They're a much smaller brewery, but I actually find their website useful. They also have an about us section that is simple and doesn't make them seem like amateurs.
http://treehousebrew.com/

For Facebook/Twitter - either pick one or always update both, since some people use one or the other more frequently. And be sure to re-direct people from the website to the social media pages, so visitors know there is a source for more up to date info.

BRB starting a kickstarter campaign for my homebrew called "Berliners Direct." How much money you pledge directly correlates to how many bottles show up at your door.

Depending on how sucessful that is, ill start the kickstarter for "give me money; else ill set a bag of kittens on fire."

Basic info I want:

Distribution info. If this is a brewpub then generally N/A. For a new brewery, they probably have few enough accounts that you can list every place selling it in bottle or on draught. As they expand, a distribution map with contact info for state or city level distributors will do.

Complete list of past, current, and future beers. And, you know, some basic info about that. Help a ticker tick.

If you do tours or have an onsite tap room, emphasize that fact, and list all the salient details (hours, price, samples provided, ect).

BRB starting a kickstarter campaign for my homebrew called "Berliners Direct." How much money you pledge directly correlates to how many bottles show up at your door.

Depending on how sucessful that is, ill start the kickstarter for "give me money; else ill set a bag of kittens on fire."

Based on what I've read from others whose palates I trust, I'd gladly donate to a KickStarter if it guaranteed me bottles of your Berliners.

I think the Tree House Brewing Co. website lets you know what to expect before visiting. Their on tap page lists what's on for the weekend etc, while also having a separate page showing their rotational/occasional offerings. They're a much smaller brewery, but I actually find their website useful. They also have an about us section that is simple and doesn't make them seem like amateurs.
http://treehousebrew.com/

Always felt like Tree House's website is visually rewarding. Relatively simple, clean, and effective.

But in all seriousness. Every brewery/brewpub website needs a current tap list. You might as well not even have a website if you cant keep that **** accurate.

Also, clearly visible address and operating hours are essential.
When I visit a website, I will stop looking and leave the website if it takes me longer than ~30 seconds to find out if they are open and where they are.
Prime example of the above: I have not visited Zuckfoltzfus Brewing yet despite wanting to because:
A. their website is a blog spot that has a last post months ago that talks about their troubles in getting open
B. they only keep facebook up to date which shows no hours, menu, beer list

I always appreciate pictures of the owners/staff on a website. Putting a 'face' to a small company always grabs my interest and for whatever reason makes me a little more interested in who they are and what they are all about.

Small detail, but maybe others feel the same.

So I'm going to start this thread with a rant to explain my motivation for posting it. Here's a ******** website that isn't an actual brewery site, but rather a KickStarter page for some guys who want to open a brewery and want other people to give them the money for it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31773828/the-barking-duck-brewing-co

Now, I'm not necessarily against using a KickStarter to help fund a brewery project (such as Wakefield) or an expansion for an existing brewery. But this entire thing comes off so unprofessionally, it's basically "our friends like our beer, so help us open a brewery!". Reading the description, there is nothing in there giving any substance about the business plan, their vision for the beer (other than "a fresh new approach to craft brewing", which is about the most meaningless statement I can think of), just a bunch of "yeah man craft beer rocks, give us money so we can turn our hobby into our dream job!" I mean, these guys apparently haven't even bought equipment yet and want to be open by the end of 2013? Give me a break.

Okay, rant over on that. One thing that page did do for me is cause me to pause and think about the current inadequacy of the brewery website for the brewery I'm unofficially involved with, Seminar Brewing (www.seminarbrewing.com). Now, my friends who are opening this brewery couldn't be more dissimilar from the guys linked to above if they tried: they've been planning it for 3 years, their business plan is extensive, they've secured capital funding through a small business loan while putting up a ton of their own assets as collateral, and despite being relatively far along in the planning process they aren't going to open for several more months because they want to make sure the beer is completely dialed in before they start selling it. But you wouldn't know a lot of that looking at the "About Us" part of their website, it's the same kind of vacuity about "this is how we got into craft beer, this is how we started homebrewing, etc."

So TL;DR: help me help them improve their website (even if it is just in a holding pattern at the moment; most of the action is on Facebook and Twitter) by offering advice on what content you want on a brewery's website, especially one that's relatively new rather than well-established. Think about what would cause you to want to give the brewery a chance versus "pffft, these guys don't sound professional or serious, Ill pass", if say, you were passing through the area and were looking up places to check out ahead of time.
Treehouse has good content but the design reminds me of a website I made when I was in high school.

I dig this one: http://jesterkingbrewery.com/
All the info everyone here has requested from a website is available for Jester King. It looks good, and is updated at least weekly.

Blogs are cool. Just to update people on what you're brewing and what's going on at the brewery. But make sure your last post isn't 6 months or a year old.

Back