What do you ride??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ride is a 1999 Honda Gold Wing SE, and I have it...and my car...insured with Progressive. I pay just a smidge over $300.00 a year for FULL coverage, including a $500.00 deductible, under/non insured coverage and roadside assistance.

glenn514:mug:

Yeah, my insurance is super cheap too. under $200/yr with full coverage, $500 deduct, and all the same limits as my cars.

2012 Suzuki Vstrom. Not the most beautiful bike, but I can keep up with sport bikes in the twisties, dodge down a gravel road to a trailhead, or go on a month long tour in comfort all while knocking down 50+mpg and paying under $200/yr for full coverage. Oh and my loan was 0% interest and total OTD price was below $7000. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413325368.289998.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

2012 Suzuki Vstrom. Not the most beautiful bike, but I can keep up with sport bikes in the twisties, dodge down a gravel road to a trailhead, or go on a month long tour in comfort all while knocking down 50+mpg and paying under $200/yr for full coverage. Oh and my loan was 0% interest and total OTD price was below $7000. View attachment 229556

That's another one I've considered. The internet says they're tough as nails. Maybe people flog them hard. I dunno. Every time I see one, it's beat all to crap and running like it too. But hey, my Suzuki had been rammed onto it's side by a pickup truck once in a parking lot, and then I low sided it. It fired right up.

That's another one I've considered. The internet says they're tough as nails. Maybe people flog them hard. I dunno. Every time I see one, it's beat all to crap and running like it too. But hey, my Suzuki had been rammed onto it's side by a pickup truck once in a parking lot, and then I low sided it. It fired right up.

Hm, I've met up with other riders that have 50-70K on their Stroms, and they run like tops. Oil every 5k and valve tuneup every 15, and it's a 100k motor. I test drove a 2004 with 75k when I was first looking for one, and it ran way better than most bikes do after 30k. The DL1000 Vstrom (old model) didn't run as smooth as the 650, so maybe you saw them running rough?.

I've ridden HD Ultras, Softails, Sportsters, some Yama Vstars, Suzuki Boulevards, Ducati Monster & Multistrada, older Honda CB's & Nighthawks, and my Strom is more comfortable, and does more things better than a lot of those bikes, and for a heck of a lot cheaper...gas, insurance, and sticker price.

wee stroms rock! A guy at work just got a Yammie FZ-07, kind of a cross between a adventure bike and a nekkid bike - it looks like a lot of fun too.

Hm, I've met up with other riders that have 50-70K on their Stroms, and they run like tops. Oil every 5k and valve tuneup every 15, and it's a 100k motor. I test drove a 2004 with 75k when I was first looking for one, and it ran way better than most bikes do after 30k. The DL1000 Vstrom (old model) didn't run as smooth as the 650, so maybe you saw them running rough?.

I've ridden HD Ultras, Softails, Sportsters, some Yama Vstars, Suzuki Boulevards, Ducati Monster & Multistrada, older Honda CB's & Nighthawks, and my Strom is more comfortable, and does more things better than a lot of those bikes, and for a heck of a lot cheaper...gas, insurance, and sticker price.

Well, that's awesome. It was probably folks who beat the crap out of them. The things people do to vehicles...

I priced insurance on one a few years ago from Geico and Dairymen's. They both wanted to insure both V-Stroms as a sport bike. How'd you get it insured in a different category? That may save some folks some money.

In other news, my arm is no longer infected. The worst of the road rash is healing up nicely, and I can bend my finger better. There's still some tender spots, though. A cold compress helps sooth the itchy scabs. Yogurt seems to have kept my guts inline while taking a million milligrams of antibiotics a day. Looking at the bruise on the back of my knee, where the bike fell on it and smashed it into the road, I must have Adamantium bones.

Nice work- glad you're on the mend. I saw a buddy go down hard, and now I never leave home without the gear. Just picked up some Sidi boots and a mesh jacket for next summer- never going another summer in my full adventure jacket...

For me, State Farm was pretty easy to work with insurance-wise. I got quotes up to and including $1000/yr for basic full coverage from various companies, but for whatever reason, State Farm was way the cheapest. There were also a couple companies that had high quotes based on Make/Model but it went way lower when I added the VIN- don't know why that would be different in their systems, but it was- I think it was Geico and Allstate, but I could be mistaken.

Edit: whoops! I was lying to you guys! I thought it was under $200/yr for my insurance, but it's actually just under $200/6mo- so still under $350/yr- I pay my insurance with the gas money I save from not driving my truck!

I looked into a motorcycle. Then I got an insurance quote. Not happening. Even if I win the lottery I refuse to pay that much on principal. Forget it!

Looked into a summer car as an acceptable stand-in for a bike. Have a nice lead on a low mileage Skyline recently imported. Hoping the stars align for me on this one.

I ride a thumper and insurance is cheap. I have full coverage too.

2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Lots of extras. Ton of fun and as good off road as a 650 single dual sport.

So jealous! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back???

I really want to sell my bike for an adventure bike, but can't justify the cost! Been looking into the wee for the past month... might make the jump on the right CL ad.

I ride a thumper and insurance is cheap. I have full coverage too.

A Savage or S40, right? I am so tempted... and they have these bobber kits... or I could do my own thing to it. Hell, it's a nice looking bike stock. Straight up motorcycle.

How fast do you go? How far at a time? How it is at 65-75 mph? How's the suspension? How many miles you got? How's it holding up? 14 more questions :D

So jealous! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back???

I really want to sell my bike for an adventure bike, but can't justify the cost! Been looking into the wee for the past month... might make the jump on the right CL ad.

I got a smoking deal on it. I paid 9000 for it with all the extras. It is worth 15000.
The Wee is a great bike and now that you can buy knobbies for almost any size rim you can do some decent off road in one.

I got a smoking deal on it. I paid 9000 for it with all the extras. It is worth 15000.
The Wee is a great bike and now that you can buy knobbies for almost any size rim you can do some decent off road in one.

So jealous, that's a killer deal! And yea, not sure I want to make sell my z750 yet tho... might just pick up a check 350+ dirtbike and make it street legal :drunk:

That is a good idea. I had a dual sported XR650R. So much power, was a great dual sport and way more comfortable then a dirt bike should.

A Savage or S40, right? I am so tempted... and they have these bobber kits... or I could do my own thing to it. Hell, it's a nice looking bike stock. Straight up motorcycle.

How fast do you go? How far at a time? How it is at 65-75 mph? How's the suspension? How many miles you got? How's it holding up? 14 more questions :D

This is going to be long...sorry. :eek:

It's a savage. It is definitely one that I would love to do a pseudo bob to. More like keeping the handlebars I put on, which are harley sportster bars, and getting a single seat, like what they use for bobbers but I don't want to bob it necessarily. I want to chop the fender slightly, or maybe leave it if it looks good, and pretty much keep it all as is. I saw one like that on the road but I couldn't get a picture. The fender has to be modified because there is wiring under the rear seat as well. I'd also have to figure out a bag situation because my current bags won't work. Bags may not even be a possibility.

The fastest I've gone was about 75-80. It felt like a push though. It'll go that fast but it is not as comfortable as a larger cruiser. The bike is 350 pounds so figure that with wind resistance and such. I do it because sometimes I need to go on the highway. It is not horrible and I don't really dread it. For long highway rides I'd put the windshield back on though. Most I've ridden was 100 miles in an afternoon. My ass hurt. The seats are notoriously bad. I sent mine away for a padding modification, which helped, but it didn't fix everything. It's just an odd seat. It is the chief complaint of the bike I believe. My buddy rode it and mentioned it instantly. He said he knows why I stand up for a second when we stop at any light.

I'm not a small girl, width wise. Suspension is good for me. If that is any indication. It is a thumper and lives right up to its name. Hitting a pothole is a bit tough, but it takes it fine. I've learned to stop bitting my lip or tongue when I ride because of that. Good way to remind me why it is a bad habit. I have 11,000 miles on it. I've put on nearly 5,000 myself since I purchased it in 2011. I'm a weekend rider mostly or just puttering around town when it is nice out. I take it once a year for an annual check up to my guy who works on any bike.

The biggest issue the bike does have, which I understand can be modified just enough, is the backfiring issue. It backfires a lot of the time when I hit the kill switch. It happens most when I am running slow in a higher gear, like through a parking lot. I usually just let the clutch pop so I can avoid the backfire in public. Supposedly I can drop the needle in the carb a notch or install a smaller main jet (or both) and it should run leaner and stop doing that as often. It's a widely discussed issue. I've decided I will likely drop it off at my mechanic this winter and let him F around with it just in case the whole thing happens to become more of a job and I get too far in over my head. The basics have been taken care of, spark plug, air filter, etc.

This is a great bike. Great first road bike I could have bought. I'm not super tall and it handles well. I've never gotten to the point where I nearly dropped it or anything. The low center of gravity helps.

I'm torn between buying a second larger cruiser (I want a Valkyrie that was made prior to 2000) and a Triumph Bonnie. The bonnie isn't going to get me through the long trip I'd love to take, at least I am not sure that it will. The large cruiser will and I don't want anything under 1100 cc. Ideally I'd have a garage full of bikes for every occasion. :D

That is a good idea. I had a dual sported XR650R. So much power, was a great dual sport and way more comfortable then a dirt bike should.

I miss my KLR650, just wish I owned it at a better time in my life. Was too busy to enjoy the outdoors... Now, I could use it every weekend :(

Just need to wait for the deal I want..

This is going to be long...sorry. :eek:

It's a savage. It is definitely one that I would love to do a pseudo bob to. More like keeping the handlebars I put on, which are harley sportster bars, and getting a single seat, like what they use for bobbers but I don't want to bob it necessarily. I want to chop the fender slightly, or maybe leave it if it looks good, and pretty much keep it all as is. I saw one like that on the road but I couldn't get a picture. The fender has to be modified because there is wiring under the rear seat as well. I'd also have to figure out a bag situation because my current bags won't work. Bags may not even be a possibility.

The fastest I've gone was about 75-80. It felt like a push though. It'll go that fast but it is not as comfortable as a larger cruiser. The bike is 350 pounds so figure that with wind resistance and such. I do it because sometimes I need to go on the highway. It is not horrible and I don't really dread it. For long highway rides I'd put the windshield back on though. Most I've ridden was 100 miles in an afternoon. My ass hurt. The seats are notoriously bad. I sent mine away for a padding modification, which helped, but it didn't fix everything. It's just an odd seat. It is the chief complaint of the bike I believe. My buddy rode it and mentioned it instantly. He said he knows why I stand up for a second when we stop at any light.

I'm not a small girl, width wise. Suspension is good for me. If that is any indication. It is a thumper and lives right up to its name. Hitting a pothole is a bit tough, but it takes it fine. I've learned to stop bitting my lip or tongue when I ride because of that. Good way to remind me why it is a bad habit. I have 11,000 miles on it. I've put on nearly 5,000 myself since I purchased it in 2011. I'm a weekend rider mostly or just puttering around town when it is nice out. I take it once a year for an annual check up to my guy who works on any bike.

The biggest issue the bike does have, which I understand can be modified just enough, is the backfiring issue. It backfires a lot of the time when I hit the kill switch. It happens most when I am running slow in a higher gear, like through a parking lot. I usually just let the clutch pop so I can avoid the backfire in public. Supposedly I can drop the needle in the carb a notch or install a smaller main jet (or both) and it should run leaner and stop doing that as often. It's a widely discussed issue. I've decided I will likely drop it off at my mechanic this winter and let him F around with it just in case the whole thing happens to become more of a job and I get too far in over my head. The basics have been taken care of, spark plug, air filter, etc.

This is a great bike. Great first road bike I could have bought. I'm not super tall and it handles well. I've never gotten to the point where I nearly dropped it or anything. The low center of gravity helps.

I'm torn between buying a second larger cruiser (I want a Valkyrie that was made prior to 2000) and a Triumph Bonnie. The bonnie isn't going to get me through the long trip I'd love to take, at least I am not sure that it will. The large cruiser will and I don't want anything under 1100 cc. Ideally I'd have a garage full of bikes for every occasion. :D

:mug:

I'm thinking the same on bobbing. I don't want a hard tail.

I sat on some KLRs a few years ago. Too tall. Maybe I'd feel different today. I dunno. I'm just itching to have another bike right away.

Not sure how I missed this thread... My two hobbies... Homebrew and Motorcycles.

At present I have a 03 Honda 919 and a 04 Honda ST-1300A.

I'm always itching for a dual sport, like the KLR. If I was closer to some off road or trails I would get one in a heart beat. As it is you have to go a ways to get to anything other than paved roads so the itch isn't too bad.

I teach the MSF courses and got to take a three wheel/trike class a few weeks ago. Of course I knew the instructors and maybe they let us get a little more crazy for that reason but damn did I have a good time. Hanging off a trike and drifting it through the corners... ALMOST as fun as some of the advanced rider courses and the sportbike course... If I could find a trike for cheap, say a 400 or 650 I would be ripping up the side streets like I stole it...

Here's my baby...my dad bought this new in 1973, rode it until 2004 when he upgraded to an R1150RT. It sat until 2012 when we got it mostly running again. It still needs a few maintenance items, but runs pretty good. its a '73 R75/5.

slash 5.jpg

I can't believe I missed this thread either! My two passions are making booze and riding bikes!

My current everyday ride is a 2009 Suzuki SV650 with luggage and touring upgrades.

Calendar%20-%20October-XL.jpg

My other ride is a 2002 KLR250 that I use for dirt duty.

IMG_20130503_181741-XL.jpg

And my two boys (10 and 11) have Honda CRF70 and CRF80s.

Here we are camping in the woods off the dirt bikes. My dog loves trying to keep up with us!

DSC_0097-XL.jpg

And some more pics

DSC_0297-XL.jpg

DSC_0342-XL.jpg

DSC_0320-XL.jpg

IMG_20140327_132302-XL.jpg

bikesex.jpg

I can't believe I missed this thread either! My two passions are making booze and riding bikes!
My current everyday ride is a 2009 Suzuki SV650 with luggage and touring upgrades.
My other ride is a 2002 KLR250 that I use for dirt duty.
And my two boys (10 and 11) have Honda CRF70 and CRF80s.
Here we are camping in the woods off the dirt bikes. My dog loves trying to keep up with us!
And some more pics

Awesome! Love the strom. Think that's the bike I'll end up trading my bike for! If I end up moving to Scranton next year, i'll make sure I find you.

Also - is that a FirstGear jacket in your avatar?

Awesome! Love the strom. Think that's the bike I'll end up trading my bike for! If I end up moving to Scranton next year, i'll make sure I find you.

Also - is that a FirstGear jacket in your avatar?

Thanks! Although it's an SV, not a Vstrom... Though I've been slowly making it more and more strom-like!

If you move here, send me a PM.

It's the Klim Badlands Pro jacket. More than I should have spent on a jacket, but well worth it now that I have it.

Thanks! Although it's an SV, not a Vstrom... Though I've been slowly making it more and more strom-like!

If you move here, send me a PM.

It's the Klim Badlands Pro jacket. More than I should have spent on a jacket, but well worth it now that I have it.

Touche, not sure what was going on with my mind when I wrote that.

I think I meant to say.... I have the z750s (kawi), but was looking at the SV650. Unfortunately, no hot deals came through and I bought the 750s. Looking back, I think I would prefer the SV650.

Today, I'm looking for a strom.... OR if I ignore $$, I may try to buy back my KLR. I lived in Bethlehem last year, but it looks like I may be in Wilkes-barre/Scranton next year. We'll see... If so, I'll definitely reach out!

I'll probably shoot you a PM about your SV if I find a nice deal down here..

Fellow KLR Rider! :)

Probably a bike I'll never part with... :)

Rode my phat Kaw to The Black Hills, Sturgis, Deadwood, Yellowstone and points in between in June...

DSCN0068.JPG

Sturgis.jpg

DSCN0063.JPG

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414868277.763464.jpg

SWMBO keeps complaining about always having to ride on the back of my bike, so last week I bought her a cheap used Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for her to ride. She's taking her basic riders course at this very moment.

In the mean time I've been riding the $#!t out of it before she can take it away from me.

I put on a solo Corbin seat that has little padding on the pillion. So SWMBO has no ambitions of riding with me and I have the bike to myself. If I entertain an overnight ride, then I switch to the luxuriously padded touring pillion and seat (5 minute switch) and SWMBO comes. Granted she is bow legged at the end of the day but that is just preparation for the night :D

How do you Polaris (Indian and Victory) owners feel about your bikes?

I put a few hundred miles on a Vegas Jackpot - and now I'm looking for one.... The only complaint I had was lack of wind protection while going down the freeway, but it's not a bike I'd take on long trips (The Victory Vegas) anyway. More of a bike to ride between beer tasting joints...

FZ09

Braided brake lines, HH pads, Akra Carbon exhaust and ECU flash coming for Christmas!

image.jpg

Sweet bike at a reasonable price, triples are cool, good luck with it.

Less than $8k out the door, new off the floor. I sold my 2011 Speed Triple for this bike. A decision I will never regret.

I've been looking at Vegas Jackpots... After riding one, I was impressed, quite powerful and refined..

When I bought mine, the owner had already stripped the OEM exhaust for something else. Not sure what it was, but sounded damn good. I had an 03' CBR600 before and to he honest, the Vegas would **** and get when needed.

Here's the Jackpot that is going to cost me some $$...

It's my friends and I rode it home for him after he bought it. Now I want one...

10478403_10203095241735395_2138254758688193273_o.jpg

I ride a 1988 Heritage Custom Softail, Harley-Davidson. Bought it brand new...still going strong, except for the clutch which I'm gonna replace this spring.

Latest posts

Back