What do you do with strained hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After straining about 2 cups of hops (pellets) from my IPA this evening I did what I usually do, dumped them down the drain. I'm sure the alligators, el chupenebre or whatever lives down there loves the smell of hops as much as I do, but is there some better use for hops residue.

I make a salve consisting of 2oz used hops, 1oz bacon grease and a dash of soured stout. You wouldn't believe the trim I pull down with that honey juice on my pulse points...

That's probably the plan, 9.

Was that a Plan 9 From Outerspace Referance or am I just drunk...wait! Or both?

It's playing at a local theatre (one that you can by good beer at and drink while watching the movie) here in June. I'm thinking Brownies before I go and laughing my a@@ off in the theatre.

Wait...what was the original topic? Oh yes, hops. I just throw 'em in the trash. For the amount I use (and the fact I throw it into the boil pot without a bag, then strain it out before it goes into the fermentor) it's just not worth my time composting it.

Grain, however, I do go outside and throw it on the garden dirt (or snow above the garden dirt at this point) then come warmer temps it'll get mixed into the soil.

Back