What do I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So, true, I am only a week into my first brew but I want to start my second one when I rack my first to my secondary. So, I know everyone has there own taste and flavor but I want some input.

So, my first brew was a simple amber ale that consisted of LME and Cascade hops. Sounds kinda bla, hopefully it turns out good. I do not, as of right now, care for stouts but I do like brown ales with decent body but not overberring. I really like Heiniken, Sam Adams light, Blue Moon, Newcastle, Carlesburg, and beers of that nature. The coors and buds are okay but not crazy about them. To me they are really just "to get drunk" beers and you never drink one to "enjoy" it. So given my current level of expertise, none, and flavors of beer that I like is there any simple beer that you would suggest? I was wondering about a German Oktoberfest or a English brown ale or a red ale? any one ever done these and have similar tastes to mine?

Well the beers you mentioned are all very different. It sounds like you like beers with some flavor but are still light in body, etc.. Seems like a Newcastle clone might be your step towards more flavorful beers but is still something you like.

I'm not a huge stout fan myself, but I found that my home brew stout was fantastic - if you are willing to give it a go I think there are some easier stouts out there to give a try to. I did a simple oatmeal stout, and it was pretty simple to do.

I did it just to try a home brew of each type - and if you end up with something you are not a big fan of, I'm sure you have friends like mine who will come over to drain a keg any time. :)

So, true, I am only a week into my first brew but I want to start my second one when I rack my first to my secondary. So, I know everyone has there own taste and flavor but I want some input.

So, my first brew was a simple amber ale that consisted of LME and Cascade hops. Sounds kinda bla, hopefully it turns out good. I do not, as of right now, care for stouts but I do like brown ales with decent body but not overberring. I really like Heiniken, Sam Adams light, Blue Moon, Newcastle, Carlesburg, and beers of that nature. The coors and buds are okay but not crazy about them. To me they are really just "to get drunk" beers and you never drink one to "enjoy" it. So given my current level of expertise, none, and flavors of beer that I like is there any simple beer that you would suggest? I was wondering about a German Oktoberfest or a English brown ale or a red ale? any one ever done these and have similar tastes to mine?

Most homebrews in my opinion are waaaay more flavor filled than any of those beers you like. I have only made like 20 batches of home brews but, they're way more strong tasting than the beers mentioned. you sound like you're on the verge of expanding your beer taste palate. You should go to a specialty beer store and try getting a mixed matched 6 pack of some pale ale, brown ale and maybe some amber ales. Just an opinion, chances are you will like at least one and broaden your spectrum!

I didn't think I liked stouts until I made the Murphy's Irish Stout clone from Austin Homebrew Supply. It was very good and I definitely recommend giving that a try if you want to give it a go. I now have plans to brew a couple stouts after making that kit. even SWMBO enjoyed that beer and she hates "dark" beers. Give it a try you might be surprised to find out you like stouts!

Mike

A Belgian Witbier might be a good choice. It's a great summer brew and is ready to drink fairly quickly.

Back