What do advanced homebrewers ferment 10 gallon batches in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
Like the title. Those of you who brew in 10 gallon batches, what vessel do you use for primary fermentation? Do you use two 5-gallon buckets, or is there a standard that everyone uses?

I do 10 gallon batches very infrequently, so I just use 2 carboys. I think that's a fairly popular solution. I've heard of some people using half-barrel kegs as fermenters, others use plastic spiegel tanks, and a few shell out the big bucks for a ~12 gallon stainless conical.

Beertroll lays out the different options pretty well. I do the 10 gallons in two carboys all the time. This option also allows you to pitch two different yeasts for two different beers!

Yeah, 2 carboys. 10 gallons of beer is awfully heavy to move around. I'm to cheap to buy a conical (or see the need right now), so split batch it is.

Yeah, 2 carboys. 10 gallons of beer is awfully heavy to move around. I'm to cheap to buy a conical (or see the need right now), so split batch it is.

I'm a weakling, and can barely lift a full carboy so I use two "ale pails" with handles. I don't have the $$$$ or the inclination for a 14 gallon conical since temperature control would also be needed and I don't have the set up for that.

Buckets work well for me, for both beer and wine. I do 20+ gallon batches of wine, all in buckets for primary and carboys for secondary.

A full carboy weighs about 60 pounds or so, I'd guess? I weigh 135, and can barely manage that. I don't want anything bigger, that's for sure!

Well, they sell big conicals etc, so someone has to be using them, right? Everyone I've talked to says they just split the batch. Lots of people use this as a chance to use 2 different yeasts, or dry hop 1, etc

2 - 6.5 gallon buckets or carboys. I also use a 12/13 gallon vittle vault every once in a while. It's handy for the house bitter that I have been doing since I found the recipe and liked it. Others I will do as posted above and brew 10 gallons and split it in half and use 2 different yeasts.

I use these to do 11.5 gallon batches so you could do ten gallons in one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200849025434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

from ebay

all the best

S_M

jug.jpg

I use half barrel sankey kegs. Takes two people to move them when full. Ferment in a chest freezer.

1/2 bbl sanke keg. It's heavy so when I fill it it is in a wheeled tub. Then I just push it where it needs to be. Easy to clean/sanitize too...

Nice, how do you go about setting up an airlock? Just drill your own hole in the lid?

I just drilled a hole in the lid with a spade bit the size of a blow off tube and bought a drilled stopper that size

and use a three piece air lock

the lids screws on and have a rubber gasket (gamma lock)

I love the handles to pick them up with to get them out of my chest freeze

all the best

S_M

I use cornie kegs. Two for an eight gallon batch. Three for a heavy beer. Then I keg the beers in my sankeys. (I legally bought brand new 1/4 barrel Sankey kegs).

I am most likely going to use 1/2 barrel kegs to ferment once I have the spare cash. Cornies are problematic .

Right now I use 2 carboys but I have a morebeer conical that's on its way that will get a lot of use. I still plan on using my carboys when the conical is full.

I use the blue 15g barrels that LHBS dispenses LME from. I have two and I got both of them for free from the LHBS. Your standard bottling bucket plastic spigot will fit the threads on the bungholes.

I've got the 14 gallon heated/cooled conical from MoreBeer. but I have been known to brew one wort & split into 2 carboys to play around with the insurmountable variables associated with flavor characteristics. I kinda rock like that since I'm wicked awesome with pure awesomeness.

Like the title. Those of you who brew in 10 gallon batches, what vessel do you use for primary fermentation? Do you use two 5-gallon buckets, or is there a standard that everyone uses?

I have no advice to offer but saw your username and wanted to stop in to say go Tigers! (I'm an alum.)

50# Vittles vaults drilled for airlock. Hold ~13gal & fit nicely in the little monster drink fridge I use for fermentation. Got 'em on sale for $39 each.

15.5 gal Sanke Kegs. They work well and clean up nicely with a PBW soak. I sanitize with StarSan

ForumRunner_20131201_171504.jpg

I have been brewing 10-12 gallon batches only for about 3 years now. So far I have been splitting them into two 6.5 gallon carboys every time. I am liking the idea of being able to brew the entire batch in one fermenter though. Ideally a SS Conical would be my choice but $ is a factor. I am liking the plastic options I'm seeing here.

brew_ny
- Have you been using those for a while? They look like they would do the trick, and very affordable.

i usually ferment my 15 gallon batches in 18 gallon eXXtra large carboys, i lift them from my garage to the fermentation dungeon in the other end of the castle.

I do 10-11.5 gallon batches into 60L Speidel Pastic Fermenters (MoreBeer carries them). I have my fermentation freezer on wheels and a pulley for lifting them out. Cheap, easy to clean, surface area for trub is huge. It's well sealed, so I use a spare spout to feed 2-psi co2 through the top while racking to secondary or into a keg through fittings.

brew_ny said:
they indeed are :)
I recently purchased one but have yet to use it. I am very leery of trying to carry it with the black handles as it seems they would snap off. Have you lifted it with 10 gallons of beer in it using the black handles?

I recently purchased one but have yet to use it. I am very leery of trying to carry it with the black handles as it seems they would snap off. Have you lifted it with 10 gallons of beer in it using the black handles?

I lift 11.5 gallons from my chest freezer to siphon into kegs and it has worked fine for me

all the best

S_M

I was using buckets for primary and carboys for secondary - made hundreds of gallons that way. Split the batch into two and pitched the yeast. Now using a plastic conical. My beer seems more consistent now with the conical but it all was good.. :mug:

Sorry if this is too OT, but for those splitting into 2 fermenters how do you split a yeast starter in half? I can't see myself doing it evenly.

Sorry if this is too OT, but for those splitting into 2 fermenters how do you split a yeast starter in half? I can't see myself doing it evenly.

I would presume that they do it the same way I split mine during propagation. If I only need a 1 liter starter for my 5 gallon batch, I make a 2 liter starter and pour off into 1 liter jars at high krausen. This way I have the one I need and one for my next batch.

Latest posts

Back