What did I just make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
So I brewed a great big stout this weekend and only had to use about a half gallon of my sparge water (batch sparge) to get to my boil volume. So once that beer was in the carboy starting it's journey, I ran off enough enough of the wort to do another boil...which was totally unplanned. I'm not really sure what I made though. Heres the basics of the two batches:

OG 1.084
2 row 61%
Marris otter 17.75 %
Roasted barley 6.2%
Chocolate 4.4%
Special b 4.4%
Caramel 80 3.5%
Maple syrup 1.8% (thought I had corn sugar...didnt)
And some rice hulls

Warrior, chinook hops
Us-05 yeast

The second batch was all the same pluse some late cascade. OG 1.054

Would this still be a stout...porter maybe??

I'd go with a small porter. I expect a good amount of coffee/bitterness and some astringency. Did you add maple syrup to your second batch boil?

Why the caramel? I'm not partisan one way or another, just wondering what the intent was.

Oh, and yes I did add a little syrup to the second batch as well, bout 6 oz.
I didnt get a pre boil gravity reading and thought it was going to be much lower OG so I was looking for a slight boost.

The second beer should end up close to 5.3%, which is still a good stout as long as the color and roast is still there.

When a recipe recommends using high modified malt, single infusion, only primary fermentation, and adding sugar for carbonation the beer will be similar to Prohibition style beer.
If a Beta rest was omitted during the brewing process, complex types of sugar needed in porter and stout didn't form.

Alpha is responsible for: Liquefaction (amylose starch chain is cut), saccharification (glucose and sweet tasting, nonfermenting sugar are released) and dextrinization (A and B limit dextrin responsible for body and mouthfeel are released from heat resistant, complex starch, amylo-pectin). Mash temperatures used during infusion brewing aren't high enough to allow enough of the starch to enter into solution before Alpha denatures. The starch are small, white, particles left in spent mash.
Alpha deals with starch and sugar wrapped up in it.
Beta is responsible for conversion which occurs when Beta amylase converts simple sugar, glucose into maltose and maltotriose, complex sugar. When conversion takes place secondary fermentation is required, and the beer won't need priming sugar or CO2 injecting for carbonation.

Back