What did i just brew with my fresh hop harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
Ok, i harvested my Centennial hops today and was going for a Fresh Hop Harvest pale Ale with an OG of 1.56. Instead it was 1.36 and will have an estimated abv of only 3.7%! I messed up because i have been doing all grains brews for so long, i forgot how to extract brew i guess, and ended up adding a 1/2 gallon too much water after my boil. :(

Is this gonna taste like crap now? Or like a sessionable english bitter?
Or like water with some hop flavor?
Damn, this is lame. Anyways here is the recipe..what do you think i will end up with? And is there anything i can do between now and bottling?

malt and fermentables

3lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1lb Caravienne
-- --
60 mins 0.25oz Simcoe pellet 7.5 AA
13 mins 5.5oz wet=1.0 oz dry-Centennial leaf hops
3 min 5.5oz wet=1.0 oz dry-Centennial leaf hops

1.9 HBU
24.3 IBU

Batch size: 3.5 gallons

Original Gravity
(1.034 to 1.040)
Final Gravity
(1.009 to 1.011)
Color
7° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info

Alcohol
3.7% A.B.V.
2.9% A.B.W.
Calories
125 per 12 oz.

I bet it'll taste fine. Certainly not like an English pale, with all those American hops, but it should be fine. Nothing wrong with a 3.7% ale.

I bet it'll taste fine. Certainly not like an English pale, with all those American hops, but it should be fine. Nothing wrong with a 3.7% ale.

ok thanks. I've just never brewed anything that low before. Will keep fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back