What did I end up with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfire136

Reaction score
Whats up everyone,

A couple of days ago I posted a recipe for an American barley wine that I threw together in Beersmith. The recipe was extract and is listed below:

6# Pale Extract
3# Amber Extract
1.25# Melanoiden
1# Light Munich
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 30
.25# Carabohemian
1.25# Grade A Maple Syrup 5 min
1.5oz Warrior 60 min
.8oz Fuggles 15 min

I did a 90 minute boil and was attempting to end up with 3.25 gallons with an OG of 1.117. After the boil was finished I was nowhere near 3.25 gallons. After I cooled the wort I topped the carboy off with bottled water. I must have diluted the hell out of the wort because my OG ended up being 1.075! I was not even in the ballpark where I wanted to be. I also forgot to add the whirfloc....that's what I get for late night brewing lol. The color came out perfect ( around 22 SRM) and has a nice deep red hue. According to Beersmith I also ended up with 85 IBUs. My question is what exactly did I end up with style wise? I was shooting for a 12% Barleywine and will not even be close. Its fermenting like crazy which is not a bad thing :). I guess now I know not to add water to the carboy. Thanks!

That actually sounds pretty good TFIRE, it is going to be bizarre for sure, but should be pretty good. If it where me, I would age it till the hops settled down a bit and let the malt shine.

Thanks.....definitely bitter, hopefully it ages into something good......I just wasn't sure as to what it would be classified as. The bottom end of the American Barley wine calls for an OG of 1.080. I guess I am not to far off.

If you want those ABVs, boil up some DME for 15mins, let cool and add. I've done this before and it works well, my RIS was way off target so I added the boiled DME a couple of days after pitching, think it worked out as a OG of 1.089 and went down to 1.017. Samples taste amazing.... only got another 6 months until it's ready :(

Edit: Suppose you could also use dextrose, might make it a bit dry though which you don't really want with so many IBU's

ChillWill....thanks, I am going to give that a try tomorrow. I just happen to have a 1/2# DME and a 1/2# of dextrose laying around.

Back