What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The research on coconut oil health is still debated. It has the potential to be good and bad for you. Some call it a miracle oil others a bad fat to steer clear from. Btw, the chocolate was stellar and I couldnt stay away from it, dang it!
Everything is good and bad for you it's all about moderation.

Yah i'm still confused by why it's a popular 'healthy' ingredient all of a sudden. It's like 80% saturated fat, which is a lot more than pork lard, beef tallow, and butter even. Seems the consensus is that excess saturated fat isn't all that good for you.

Pork bellies
Orange sauce I made, sliced kumquat, and thinly slice green apple (also brown rice, salad, and red cabbage with green apple)
IMG_20190213_183138.jpg

View attachment 612542
Lunch courtesy of @TwistedGray
Chorizo, mushrooms, onion, broccoli, and tortilla strips

A few things to try next time (assuming you still have a little left):
Always pull the meat from the casing (looks like you did) before cooking.
Try cooking it again but this time for longer.
It should be dark brown (nearly black) and crunchy.
You can reserve the oil to add to something or pitch it.
Add the crunchy chorizo to the dish (tacos for example).
Note: I have only ever had it prepared this way.

People are still afraid of saturated fats when they should not be - these are the fats that our bodies know how to cope with. All these partially-hydrogenated fats and vegetable oils, particularly highly-refined ones like canola, soy, and cottonseed oils, are really unhealthy polyunsaturated fats - our bodies don't know how to deal with these "unnatural" fats and so they are stored as - yup - fat!

Butter, lard, tallow, coconut oil - all natural saturated fats that our bodies can burn for fuel. That's overly simplified but do the research on this.

A few things to try next time (assuming you still have a little left):
Always pull the meat from the casing (looks like you did) before cooking.
Try cooking it again but this time for longer.
It should be dark brown (nearly black) and crunchy.
You can reserve the oil to add to something or pitch it.
Add the crunchy chorizo to the dish (tacos for example).
Note: I have only ever had it prepared this way.

I definitely remove the casing..
I’ve had it both ways, this time I was in a hurry trying to get to work..

Ha, no worries ... sure it was tasty. I've just never had it not cooked "my" way (re: the Mexican way)

I recommend branching out. It’s good in meatballs and burgers too or anything using ground meat.. obviously not great for eating a rare burger though.

Back