What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I experimented further with my biscuit dough pizza crust last Friday. I'll post picks in a bit. Got man cave painted over weekend & new desk assembled. Still in disarray. Made 3-12" pies this time, rather than to cookie sheet rectangles. Dough amount works out better with 3-12".

Yeah I agree I make all kinds of different size pies. I make a lot of personal pan size pizzas so everybody can have what they want on it. I'm too cheap to buy a peel so I use a metal cookie sheet with cornmeal on it and slide it onto a piece of steel that has been preheating at 550 degrees. We used to put pizza in baking pan but I like it right on the steel the crust browns. Biscuit dough is always on sale and is much cheaper than the pizza dough in the rolls we use it when we don't make dough I might have to give it a try

Chicken and potato curry with an IPA to cool it down;)

IMG_7991.jpg

Sorry did I already post these if I did my bad. If I didn't then I didn't get the best picture of the crust because its hot and I think I was eating them too fast the kids love to help me make them and mostly just throw the doe around. I can assure you the crust on the 550 degree pizza steal that has been heating 1 hour is good everyone I know seems to throw out their bread machine I kept mine to make cinnamon roll dough and pizza dough I know it doesn't make those good as I could with my hands but I don't care I put everything in there and one hour later have dough

View attachment 1450136970788.jpg

View attachment 1450136986936.jpg

View attachment 1450137003218.jpg

View attachment 1450137025605.jpg

Sorry did I already post these if I did my bad. If I didn't then I didn't get the best picture of the crust because its hot and I think I was eating them too fast the kids love to help me make them and mostly just throw the doe around. I can assure you the crust on the 550 degree pizza steal that has been heating 1 hour is good everyone I know seems to throw out their bread machine I kept mine to make cinnamon roll dough and pizza dough I know it doesn't make those good as I could with my hands but I don't care I put everything in there and one hour later have dough

+10 for getting your kids involved. Those are moments they will remember long after you're wormfood.

Been swamped since Thanksgiving so I haven't been able to do more than scan through the thread, but some awesome food everyone. Most of what has kept me busy is my annual Christmas cookie baking - 156 dozen this year with twelve varieties (I may have gone a little overboard). Some old favorites and some new ones that turned out great. Thank god for my KitchenAid mixer and triple batches or I'd still be at it!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177748.564318.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177765.859256.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177791.244010.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177821.229405.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177837.194272.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177857.347258.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450177873.414864.jpg

From the twelve o'clock position:
Buckeyes
Salted caramel chocolate cookie cup
Black Forest oatmeal fancies
Butterscotch coconut
Macaroon kisses
Peanut butter creme sandwich
Pecan-crusted mojito bars
Chocolate crinkles
Lemon & Rosemary butter
Orange-cinnamon chocolate chip
Double-ginger snaps
Peppermint surprise

Then I spent the weekend baking desserts for a neighborhood progressive dinner.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450178147.533201.jpg

Time to relax and stuff myself!

Wife knows a few people in Europe (from online, like i know many people who homebrew...)

She was asked if Americans had any traditional Christmas foods they make for the holiday, like many European areas do.

I couldn't really think of anything that I know is strictly American. I think we tend to borrow that stuff from others. This might include things NOT food too, like events or rituals.

Wife knows a few people in Europe (from online, like i know many people who homebrew...)

She was asked if Americans had any traditional Christmas foods they make for the holiday, like many European areas do.

I couldn't really think of anything that I know is strictly American. I think we tend to borrow that stuff from others. This might include things NOT food too, like events or rituals.

Traditional Christmas is typically Thanksgiving2.0, but likely with a ham instead of turkey.

Traditional Christmas is typically Thanksgiving2.0, but likely with a ham instead of turkey.

So true! (Although I think we are doing a non-traditional think this year, but we haven't decided what and exactly when. Depends on the visitor we get.)

I'm totally down for a ham meal. That may be a uniquely American tradition.

In our house the girls get new PJs for Xmas eve. That's not necessarily an "American" tradition. I can't think of a real food tradition, either.

Yeah wife and I do a PJ exchange on Eve as well. I think that's partly carried over from her German side of the family, but they do their whole exchange on Xmas eve.

Love me some honeybaked ham, that's for sure.

So true! (Although I think we are doing a non-traditional think this year, but we haven't decided what and exactly when. Depends on the visitor we get.)

I'm totally down for a ham meal. That may be a uniquely American tradition.

In our house the girls get new PJs for Xmas eve. That's not necessarily an "American" tradition. I can't think of a real food tradition, either.

We've always had crab legs/prime rib for Christmas... Not sure where it came from. Seems American enough for me.

Yeah I agree I make all kinds of different size pies. I make a lot of personal pan size pizzas so everybody can have what they want on it. I'm too cheap to buy a peel so I use a metal cookie sheet with cornmeal on it and slide it onto a piece of steel that has been preheating at 550 degrees. We used to put pizza in baking pan but I like it right on the steel the crust browns. Biscuit dough is always on sale and is much cheaper than the pizza dough in the rolls we use it when we don't make dough I might have to give it a try

I make my own biscuit crust from scratch. It'll be in my upcoming book, " The High Tech Hillbilly Cookbook" I'm finally writing after getting the idea some 25 years ago! Anyway, here's my biscuit crust recipe in it's final, average form;
** country-style pizza crust******
Makes 2 cookie sheet size, or 3-12" pies.
8C plain flour- you could sub 1C spent grain flour
2tsp salt
2TBSP baking powder
Optional- 1C shredded cheese- mix with dry ingredients to coat the shreds well.
1/4C extra virgin olive oil
3C milk
1C tub margarine
Measure out & mix well all dry ingredients. Add shredded cheese now if you want & mix well to coat. Otherwise, Cut in 1C tub margarine till mix is crumbly. Then add 3C milk & 1/4C EVOOL. Mix with a fork until a soft dough is formed. Turn out onto floured surface & kneed until the rest of the dry part is absorbed & a soft dough forms. Shape into thick rectangle & divide into 3 equal parts. Shape a chunk on each of 3-12" pizza pans & form outer crust. Top with sauce, toppings & cheese of your choice. Bake about 15 minutes @ 500F, or until crust is evenly golden brown, but only just! It'll start to dry out & get firm at that point, so watch it at the 14-15 minute mark. YRMV according to total watts your stove/oven has. Ours is 3,600W, with induction top & oven that can convect or not. Pics;

Won't be using Dollar Tree shredded cheese again! didn't happen to read back of bag that says it won't melt!

All edge pans are an abomination unto the lord.

"Here, let's make a brownie that's nothing but the sh!tty part!"

Good idea. Meanwhile I've been collaborating with Monsanto to develop a new species of banana that's nothing but peel.

+1

To the first part that is, not the all-peel banana part. Although you could corner the banana peel comedy gag market.

All edge pans are an abomination unto the lord.

"Here, let's make a brownie that's nothing but the sh!tty part!"

Good idea. Meanwhile I've been collaborating with Monsanto to develop a new species of banana that's nothing but peel.

Do you need the crust cut off your bread?

If all edge pans are wrong, I don't want to be right.

And tots are amazing when baked on a grill. Dust them with some garlic powder...

Family always does either leg of lamb or roast beef, with collard greens and some ham on the side for christmas dinner. Plus lots of wine and beer flowing. Mom always makes a dip she calls caviar supreme. That stuff is cracklike. Then on Christmas day mom always makes eggs benedict. I am definitely taking pictures when I help this year.

I had to burn some vacation before the end of the year so yesterday was spent grinding, stuffing, and smoking 20lb of Kabanosy sausage. Some will be given away as Christmas gifts. The rest will be hoarded like gold bullion.

I'll try and document what goes through our house this year as far as Christmas-time related food. It's usually a few gallons of Chex mix, couple dozen loaves of cinnamon-swirl raisin bread, few pounds of beef jerky, IDK how many cookies, 10 or so pounds of hand-made buttermints, and that's just the regular stuff.

Just made 4 dozen M&M cookies for a family dinner this weekend. I brought home what was left, pics later.

Seems like everyone has their own family tradition, not a "typical American" one - for us, on Christmas Eve, we have large boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, steamed artichokes with lemon/garlic aioli, garlic cheese bread, and usually Dungeness crab, which sadly can't be harvested this year due to the domoic acid we're been having for months now in the Bay. Can't wait for THAT to go away!

Christmas day, we have prime rib and lots of go-alongs - this year will be twice-baked potatoes, asparagus with mayo sauce, maybe some sauteed mushrooms, maybe a salad if my sister makes one - hers are always good, usually arugula and sliced pears and whatever else she throws in there with a good vinaigrette. It's a fluid thing because it will only be KOTC, my sister, and me this year, so easy but yummy is the name of the game. WINE for sure, probably a nice Alexander Valley Silver Oak Cab.

Deep fried tots are the way to go.So damn much better than baked.Even Swmbo likes them and she's not a fan of tots.

Latest posts

Back