What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little stir fry action,

image.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

Did you let him know it was vegetarian?:p

Haha, he was raised on the vegetables, eats anything you can find at the farmers market, and surprisingly when it comes to leafy greens he loves kale, romaine hearts, and spinach.

I've been forced to get a little creative the last week and a half because someone stole my debit card info for the second time in less than 7 months, well that, and that it took that damned long to get a replacement card in the mail :mad: Been two weeks since I've been to the grocery, luckily spinach was still good, and had leftover taco fixings from the week prior.

I got my replacement card yesterday, but was feeling lazy this weekend and didn't make it out to the grocery. Really wanted pita chips to go with my hummus, but that'll have to wait. Made naan for the firs time and it turned out pretty good!

DSC_1410-1.jpg

DSC_1411-1.jpg

Haha, he was raised on the vegetables, eats anything you can find at the farmers market, and surprisingly when it comes to leafy greens he loves kale, romaine hearts, and spinach.

I've been forced to get a little creative the last week and a half because someone stole my debit card info for the second time in less than 7 months, well that, and that it took that damned long to get a replacement card in the mail :mad: Been two weeks since I've been to the grocery, luckily spinach was still good, and had leftover taco fixings from the week prior.

I got my replacement card yesterday, but was feeling lazy this weekend and didn't make it out to the grocery. Really wanted pita chips to go with my hummus, but that'll have to wait. Made naan for the firs time and it turned out pretty good!

DSC_1410-1.jpg

DSC_1411-1.jpg
Sourdough?

JK:p

It was over 50 yesterday, so we had a taste of summer - grilled brats and squash, and potato chips. Just like tailgating.

Won't be much time for cooking (or brewing) this weekend. Going to Wizard Con Raleigh! I'll be getting Willam Shatner's autograph and SWMBO and kids are getting David Tennant's autograph and getting a photo with him (10th Doctor Who). SWMBO's bucket list might just be DONE. Nerd. :p

I did get stuff to make Reubens, but the only homemade portion will be the kraut...maybe the dressing. I feel like such an amateur, not making the bread, corning the beef, or making the freakin' cheese!

Tonight we'll be having smoked turkey breast (done in my little Oster smoker roaster oven, in the covered breezeway, since it's raining!), stuffing, gravy, and cranberry jalapeno sauce. YUM and I can't WAIT!

Ah yes, time to bust out the smoker!

We did NY strip steaks on Monday, and yesterday was homebrew club and take my kid to dance day, so I just reheated some taco meat and beans and had nachos.

I should eat that Spaghetti Squash, but with the sun out, I feel more like grilling than cooking.

After our couple of weeks of ice, snow, and rain, it's nice this evening and about 65°. Nothing photo worthy but grilling some sausages, a couple of pork chops that I need to get rid of, and 3 strip steaks. Nice evening here 😄

Need to take my "like" back! A couple of weeks! Damn you:p

Made a stop to the Indian Grocery during lunch today, had to pick up more Basmati and Red Chillies, figured while I was there I'd pick up some eggplant and tomatoes for Baingan Bharta.

Fantastic! I love cooking Indian but have never tried that one. It's now on my tocook list!

Need to take my "like" back! A couple of weeks! Damn you:p

Lol. We have had a pretty mild winter, but we seemed to have gotten it all in the last two weeks to make up for it.

The NY Strips turned out really nice, with a salad and Au Gratin Taters (and sausage. forgot about that!). Maybe it was photo worthy :)

Strip and Taters.jpg

Well, the snow is gone and the sun has been shining. So I went to the store yesterday and bought a 9.2 kW gas burner (one step closer to AG) and a paella pan, among other things.

I googled up a low-carb paella and swmbo got busy cooking it (my hand is broken).

11020253_10153313880682697_516302154247647467_o.jpg

10985884_955167071194188_125348952099883219_n.jpg

Recipe: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/07/20/mixed-seafood-paella/

Well, the snow is gone and the sun has been shining. So I went to the store yesterday and bought a 9.2 kW gas burner (one step closer to AG) and a paella pan, among other things.

I googled up a low-carb paella and swmbo got busy cooking it (my hand is broken).

Something I absolutely love to eat, but have never tried to cook. Need to put that on my list to cook too!

What is a low carb Paella? Is there no rice?

Pancettta Wrapped Tenderloin with Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

I cooked this recipe and SWMBO prepared this recipe as our side. I used Pecan as my smoke wood. I highly recommend this meal!

005_zpsn0bwfp97.jpg

Cheers!

I was just liking and complimenting your last post on the sausage thread, and while I'm doing it you post this and amaze me again! That looks great!

Made a small meatloaf ...pretty basic...and some mashed potatoes and cauliflower. I like the mix and it takes the carbs down a little, I guess...but the butter and half'n'half don't exactly make it a diet dish! I didn't take a photo af the aftermash...looks like mashed potatoes.

IMG_20150313_091147676.jpg

yeah it uses cauliflower instead.

Interesting. How is it?

I've had Paella a couple of times and liked it. I'm not overly concerned about rice for my lower carb diet, but I'm curious to know if cauliflower is a good substitute. I've had it mashed before, and it was just ok. Not close enough to mashed potatoes to make me want to keep making it.

I do like steamed cauliflower with salt and butter just fine, though.

Fantastic! I love cooking Indian but have never tried that one. It's now on my tocook list!

If you or anyone else wants the Recipe for this and Saag / basic tomato curry, PM me... I've got the all three in a word document I created for my friends, so I can just email it!

Interesting. How is it?

I've had Paella a couple of times and liked it. I'm not overly concerned about rice for my lower carb diet, but I'm curious to know if cauliflower is a good substitute. I've had it mashed before, and it was just ok. Not close enough to mashed potatoes to make me want to keep making it.

I do like steamed cauliflower with salt and butter just fine, though.

The trick with mashed cauli is not to make it "exactly like mashed taters" (which it never is) but to make it so delicious that you don't care!

I start with fresh cauli, cut into florets, micro steam til very tender, drain VERY well - put in food processor, add a chunk of butter and several chunks of brie (or cream cheese if you don't have brie) and salt/pepper, then blend with the pulse til it's all just blended together well. You can tighten it up a bit with some Parm cheese if needed.

Alternatively, I've also heard some lower-carb folks tighten it up with instant mashed potato flakes with good results. I haven't personally tried that but I'm betting it would be pretty good too!

The thing we like even better is loaded fauxtater casserole - steamed cauli florets, lots of shredded cheddar, bacon bits, sliced green onions, a little paprika and butter and some sour cream. Mix all together, slap in a baking dish and pop it in the oven til it's good and hot. You can top it before baking with some French fried onions if you like - I get them at the Indian market, nothing but onions that have been fried crispy in palm oil.

My wife makes mashed cauliflower all the time. It's creamer and sweeter than pots. Very tasty though. I don't mess with her when she's cooking (good way to lose a finger), but I would spice it up with some rosemary or something. It's very one-dimensional as is.

I like the mix of cauliflower with the potatoes. I used Yukon Gold and, with the butter and half'n'half, it's very tasty without anything else but salt. I've done straight cauliflower blended in the food processor with chicken stock. It was good, but not vegetarian and definitely one dimensional.

Well, podz flung a craving on me. Starting my favorite Vindaloo in Pungent Brown Sauce! Lol

I adore vindaloo! Pork, chicken, beef, whatever. It's all good.

I took the smoked turkey breast I made yesterday, sliced thinly, and made panini sandwiches with sourdough, homemade mayo, pesto, Tillamook Swiss cheese, and bacon. Ate some homemade BBQ potato chips and washed it all down with a Centennial Blonde Ale. :ban:

Back