What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOS...I love that ****! My Dad was Army in WW2...luckily, we dropped the bomb, as he was sitting in a train station on his way to deploy. But he did get SOS regularly. I used to eat the Armour Dried Beef right out of he jar...salty, but good! But then, I eat anchovies right out of the can and don't rinse my kraut, either.

Made some spicy bean dip with pintos, guajillo and ancho chilis, paprika, garlic powder, a little oil and a little Peri Peri hot sauce.

That dip looks good! Did you make your own Peri Peri or buy it (and what brand)?

I made Matzo Ball Soup at my wife's request last night. Just used the box mix from Manischewitz which I always keep around cause I love it and it's fast and easy. But I would like to try a real recipe sometime.

IMG_2344.jpg

That dip looks good! Did you make your own Peri Peri or buy it (and what brand)?

I used a bottled Nando's Hot Peri Peri Sauce...and it is HOT. I just used a little and I filled two 1lb deli tubs...I can eat maybe 15 or 20 Tostitos before the heat builds enough to catch up with me.

So what's for dinner tonight?

My wife is at the store now shopping. I get to do the "Chopped " thing and come up with something with what she brings home and what we have on hand..

She usually does the shopping and I do the cooking. She has some favorites and knows what I need to make them. But sometimes she buys random stuff.

I'm making a "pantry cleaner" with Potatoes, chicken, Progresso Creamy Mushroom and a beschemel to thicken. Probably top with provolone and breadcrumbs. My driveway is a glacier, I bet it's the same at the grocery stores.

Grew up surrounded by farms. Growing up I honestly thought everyone knew what SOS was.

For fun...asked my race team today because we had a sandwich thing of creamy beef something on a roll.

26-year-old Engineer with his first job out of Rockville, MD...no clue and never had it.

66-year old retured mine mechanic, from the country, Navy in Vietnam...you bet he knew it from both Gov't surplus and the Navy.

His 40-year old Engineer son...no clue

31 year old Attorney from rural Indiana (no in in Ft Wayne)...knew the name, vaguely remember having it for breakfast at his grandfathers.

So I think the rural part is from government surplus while the military dates at least to WWI.

Threw together some grilled fish tacos - seasoned a couple swai fillets with salt and tajin, grilled up some fresh pineapple, chopped everything up and topped with avocado, lettuce and a cream sauce (crema mexicana with lime juice and more tajin).

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425171891.328610.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425171905.284699.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425171920.593876.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425171934.814737.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425171949.557829.jpg

I used a bottled Nando's Hot Peri Peri Sauce...and it is HOT. I just used a little and I filled two 1lb deli tubs...I can eat maybe 15 or 20 Tostitos before the heat builds enough to catch up with me.

I love Nando's. There was one right next to the hotel I stayed in all the time while I was in Lincolnshire, UK. I have a clone recipe for their sauce, if you are interested. I would guess it's the medium, and not the hottest they have, but it tastes pretty close.

I love Nando's. There was one right next to the hotel I stayed in all the time while I was in Lincolnshire, UK. I have a clone recipe for their sauce, if you are interested. I would guess it's the medium, and not the hottest they have, but it tastes pretty close.

The little bottle I have is lasting a LONG time :D

SWMBO an a co-worker discovered one in Washington, DC on frequent business trips...took me there last year. So, when I saw the hot sauce at the grocery I bought some. I grabbed the "hot" bottle. SWMBO told me later that the "medium" was what she always used. D'oh!

The little bottle I have is lasting a LONG time :D

SWMBO an a co-worker discovered one in Washington, DC on frequent business trips...took me there last year. So, when I saw the hot sauce at the grocery I bought some. I grabbed the "hot" bottle. SWMBO told me later that the "medium" was what she always used. D'oh!

Yeah I heard they were going to open in the states. I would love to see them all over. There food is great and its ready 5 minutes after you get there!

Tonight I made baked coho salmon with mango salsa and a side of roasted Brussels sprouts and pears. Washed it down with a young ginger mead.

The Brussel sprouts and pears sounds great. A combo I have never thought about...The sweetness of the pears should work well with the roasted brussel sprouts.

The Brussel sprouts and pears sounds great. A combo I have never thought about...The sweetness of the pears should work well with the roasted brussel sprouts.

Add a little honey 2Tbs, some minced ginger and thyme. Mix all together and roast @425F for 25-30 mins tossing after 15min. A family favorite.

I didn't take any pictures last night of the thirty-six meatballs and tomato sauce that I threw together after work. Took me just under an hour not including the cook time on the meatballs. Everything is packaged in my freezer now and ready for future easy dinner.

A giant slow cooker pot of green thai curry with chicken drumsticks and potatoes.

A giant pot of tomato sauce with spiced sausages and veggies (used the last few cans of my mothers canned tomato juice to free up mason jars for pickled eggings).

Basmati rice to go with both of the above.

Two batches of pickled eggs, one regular chicken eggs, the other quail eggs from my boss' farm.

A sandwich. If I have to put a knife to something that counts enough for me :p

It's only -5C right now, I might BBQ some sausages tonight.

I didn't take any pictures last night of the thirty-six meatballs and tomato sauce that I threw together after work. Took me just under an hour not including the cook time on the meatballs. Everything is packaged in my freezer now and ready for future easy dinner.

I used to make a week's worth of grilled chicken & veggies and freeze it all in individual portions to take to work for lunch. I haven't done that in a long time, I'll have to start doing so again. Thanks for the memory jog!
Regards, GF.

My wife & I were watching Chopped last night & they had to make meatballs from lamb meatballs in one phase & boar shoulder meatballs in the other. Gives me some ideas, like buffalo meatballs in the pit with honey bbq sauce. Maybe with Montreal steak seasoning?

Last night I made Chicken tenderloins wrapped in bacon, with spinach and parmesan filling. Melana sugegste something similar a few pages back. It was pretty good, but not amazing. My wife thought it was amazing though.

For lunch today I'm having adobo chicken with a chimichurri sauceView attachment 260825View attachment 260826

What's your chimichurri sauce recipe?

I've made a few different ones, but the wife swears it's not nearly the same as the chimichurri sauce that Chili's used to have. :eek:

My response is that mine is of course better, but I also know enough, of course, to not actually say that. :p

What's your chimichurri sauce recipe?

I've made a few different ones, but the wife swears it's not nearly the same as the chimichurri sauce that Chili's used to have. :eek:

My response is that mine is of course better, but I also know enough, of course, to not actually say that. :p

This was a quick sauce of what I had on hand, seeing that I didnt have parsley:

~3/4 cup cilantro
1oz canola oil (trying to keep it healthy)
2 cloves minced garlic
1tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
Thinned with a little water to help achieve a liquid consistency

These are just estimated guesses as I kinda threw stuff together on the fly. Turned out very tasty though

Wow that looks great.
Thanks

The adobo marinade is really easy. For say, five 4-5oz breasts, use:

1can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 clove garlic minced
1tsp cumin
1oz lime juce

Add all to food processor

I eat grilled chicken A LOT and this is usually how I prepare it because the flavor is awesome

@Eubanks

Yes. I will put the cake recipe and the recipe for the baked beans I did with the ribs as soon as I get on a computer. I will try and remember to pm it too you as well.

We are under a winter storm warning at the moment. It has been raining for 2 days and is changing to sleet and freezing rain at the moment with sleet and snow later on tonight.

So I am making Hot and Sour Soup and Pot Stickers to celebrate!!! Lol

I made cornbread in my cast iron pan that goes at least one generation past my father...maybe more. Nothing fancy, but it felt good. And, BTW, vegan crab cakes from Whole Foods? Surprisingly good!

IMG_20150304_185123635.jpg

Yes. I will put the cake recipe and the recipe for the baked beans I did with the ribs as soon as I get on a computer. I will try and remember to pm it too you as well.

We are under a winter storm warning at the moment. It has been raining for 2 days and is changing to sleet and freezing rain at the moment with sleet and snow later on tonight.

So I am making Hot and Sour Soup and Pot Stickers to celebrate!!! Lol

Back