What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photo_zpsf80cc272.jpg

Some deliciousness happening in my kitchen today! :mug:

Didn't cook much this weekend. Hauled stuff to Lansing where my daughter is moving to a new on-campus apt. We had a roast in the crock pot on low all day and it still wasn't tender when we got home at 6:00. Turned it up to high and let it go while for the rest of the evening. I wasn't hungry due to eating other things, but it was STILL delicious smelling!

By bedtime it was tender and we put it in the fridge for today. Probably be too busy to cook tonight, so back in the crock pot to warm up while we do out things.

I think my wife just cuts up an onion, tosses in some carrots (baby style) and a packet of seasoning with some water. I will make gravy out of the juices tonight.

Browned some country style pork ribs and cooked them in the Crock Pot with some Caribbean spice, sauce and hot sauce, plus some mango. Strained and refrigerated to solidify fat for removal. I'll figure out how I'm going to finish it tomorrow.

IMG_20150112_090135699.jpg

IMG_20150112_155740300.jpg

Hijacked a little of the wife's stew and made it a breakfast dish.

Speaking of hijacking, anyone think there would be issues using a recently oaked red wine to cook with. I feel like it could lead to some really cool flavors ... Or my dinner could taste like lightly toasted toothpicks. This is for slow-cooked short ribs.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421431862.964218.jpg

Nice!

I guess I am making Champagne Chicken tonight. This time using Brut champagne and Risotto from scratch.

I'm not really in the mood, but I feel I need to do something special for the wife. I might feel better if I polish off the remainder of the last champagne I bought for this. Too sweet, but I prefer it for drinking.

Eh, I'll probably just drink beer...

Went to an indoors farmers market today and picked up tonight's dinner.
Pan seared scallops in a white wine, butter caper sauce, steamed green beans with tarragon and butter and herb roasted petite yellow potatoes.

brewed beer today. Wife cooked a spiral ha that she got from h er work and made mashed potatoes.

I made the gravy.

She doesn't eat gravy, so if I don't make it I don't get it.

Cooked a 4lb roast today...450F for 15 minutes, then 325F until 125F internal. Carryover heat took it to 140F. Still a little passed my preference, but it was good. Fresh green beans and some roasted cauliflower with rosemary breadcrumbs. Oh, and some pasta salad, courtesy of SWMBO.

IMG_20150118_175218464.jpg

Fresh tortilla chips with homemade pico de gallo is great in those lil deep friers! I just cut a stack of raw tortillas in quarters & fry a little bit. This morning for brunch I fried some small diced taters in oil with a little sea salt & pepper till golden, then tossed in 6 whisked eggs with onion & garlic powder, more salt & pepper with chopped celery heart leaves, enough from 2-3 heart stalks. Very savory flavor. Some left over meat would've been even better... Add coffee & it's all good!

Made some stuff for the game yesterday.

Pork Pernil, pork shoulder rubbed down with lime, cilantro, garlic, onions and spices. Rubbed down overnight then slow cooked till fall apart done.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421695096.256018.jpg

Beef short ribs smoked at 250 for 6 hours.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421695158.648818.jpg

And a Chicago style pizza with bacon, red onions and olives.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421695213.432406.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421695229.353117.jpg

Back