What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seafood boil for club brew day!

photo-2.JPG

Umm....they were chili cheese fries, lol. Gone in 60 seconds

View attachment 215399

I love how the one on the right is sitting there, all calm & ladylike with a bit of a smirk; when 30 seconds before that I get the impression that they were both like a couple of lions feeding on a zebra, reveling in the carnage...
I LOL'd.
Regards, GF.

I find it interesting that almost every culture on the planet has some form of dough wrapped food. Pierogi, ravioli, various dumplings, empanada, pirozhki, even calzone qualifies. It works well in most, if not all cuisines.
Regards, GF.

No pics, but tonight I made the best roast chicken of my life. The perfect roast chicken is something of a holy grail for me. Someday I'll eat Jonathan Waxman's.

Made another batch of homemade soft pretzels for a birthday party. They were gone in under a half hour, nobody could believe they were homemade. I think they're going to become one of my staple party foods. Who doesn't like a nice pretzel with their beer?

Yesterday smoked ribs. Turned out a little bit salty, but still ate ok. I tried using a mop sauce as a marinade this time. Not sure I would do it again, or maybe would try a different one.

On a healthy kick lately so whipped up a pot of "asopao de garbanzos" - Puerto Rican-style chickpea rice stew.

Cooked a pound of garbanzos, added veggies (onions, peppers, celery, carrots, garlic), spices (sazon, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper), some rice, a couple tbsps of tomato sauce and three scotch bonnet peppers for a little kick.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407175845.787004.jpg

Rich, hearty and delicious. Four hours on the stove but enough to last all week. Was planning on freezing half but it's too good to save for later

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407175863.060380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LOVE GARBANZOs!!!!!!!

Whats sazon precious?

Little foil msg-based seasoning packets that turn food yellow. Usually Goya brand. Can sub achiote or saffron if you increase the salt but sazon does add a hard to describe depth/umami/something

Little foil msg-based seasoning packets that turn food yellow. Usually Goya brand. Can sub achiote or saffron if you increase the salt but sazon does add a hard to describe depth/umami/something

Do you use it primarily to change the color or for the sodium? If you're looking for yellow, and something a little healthier than MSG, I'd recommend turmeric!

Do you use it primarily to change the color or for the sodium? If you're looking for yellow, and something a little healthier than MSG, I'd recommend turmeric!

It is a blend of spices - stuff like garlic, cumin, culantro, achiote, onion etc. Using turmeric to make yellow rice sounds like a fun experiment but typically saffron is the authentic way to get that yellow hue - in the Caribbean achiote was subbed for saffron since it used to be kind of rare. The msg/salt content of sazon is really low actually - you almost always need to add salt or adobo as well

Every growing season you always overlook that one vegetable growing in your garden.
For me it was a zucchini.
I picked one today that weighed 1 1/2lbs. and 11" long. Not the largest I've grown but perfect size for stuffing or making zucchini bread. I decided to make the latter. Crunchy outside and moist but not greasy inside.

Dan6310

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407202821.606315.jpg

WHATS IT GOT IN ITS PACKETS precious...sorry, you get the idea!

Gumbo! Gollum
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407250402.984423.jpg

I spent yesterday processing 30lbs of black cherries. By the time I was done, my kitchen looked like a crime scene, red & purple spatters & flecks everywhere, often with sticky little chunks. It made think of the car cleaning in Pulp Fiction. After that I made a shrimp ceviche. No pics, I just wanted to get things done & cleaned up quickly.
Regards, GF.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh sorry. That's for when you say you got picked up by the Swedish woman's vollyball team bus and hung out with them at a nude beach.

No, that's not why you can't say it. You would be fine saying it if a damned MOD wouldn't keep posting about things he cooked with NO photographic capabilities....ahem....or evidence.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407443673.904648.jpg
Cod filet cooked en Papillote with summer vegetables.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407443728.855257.jpg
Tomato relish. Cherry tomatoes from the garden, red onion, garlic, fresh tyme, fresh basil, salt, pepper and a splash of balsmaic vinegar. Amazing!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407443918.773689.jpg
Plated. This was an incredible meal. I definitely got in touch with my French roots.

Awesome BUCKNUTS!

Thanks. I say it's French my wife who was born and raised in Los Angeles says it's a California dish. She says we mid westerners eat too much starch and this would be a dish served in California. Maybe she's right because I do love starch.

A cheese slice between 2 slices of your generic store bought white bread slathered with margarine on both sides and thrown in a frying pan.

A cheese slice between 2 slices of your generic store bought white bread slathered with margarine on both sides and thrown in a frying pan.

Throw some Campbells tomato soup in with that and you have the most nostalgic meal ever. I ate that many many times....and loved it.

Thanks. I say it's French my wife who was born and raised in Los Angeles says it's a California dish. She says we mid westerners eat too much starch and this would be a dish served in California. Maybe she's right because I do love starch.

I dunno... I'm from Chicago and I'm a meat and vegetables kind of guy, not a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Of course, I moved to California, so maybe it was just water finding it's own level... :D

Reminds me!! I got some cool purple potatoes at Costco 6 months ago.

I tossed one in a bucket with dirt. Yesterday I noticed a bunch of little potatoes poking up!

Pics later. (of the roasted herbed purple potato eater)

That was close. I imagine you were only moments away from having Cheezy come down on you! ;)

A post here and there, when the food was SO good, it was gone before it occurred to you to take a pic is OK!

100% of posts being 100% free of photos, but describing amazing sounding food in this thread is NOT ok.

I think Paulthenurse said it best......

100% of posts being 100% free of photos, but describing amazing sounding food in this thread is NOT ok.

I think Paulthenurse said it best......
With that said, I also think one shouldn't be allowed to take up an entire page of posts (one after another) without contributing anything ***cough***pualthenurse***cough****pizza thread**** ;) #whereisthepizzapaul? #myfirsthashtag #alsothelast.

I am guessing that is what the wife requested.

Awesome!

Az is capable of more amazing things, but if the wife wants it, she gets it.

If she doesn't want caviar, he doesn't shove it down her birthday throat to impress a nurse.

Back