What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pineapple tomatillo (from the garden) salsa on top of some swordfish - really good

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_215537939.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230924_215537939.PORTRAIT.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
IMG_4809.jpeg

Lobster tails were on sale for $5 each, we got 4 for $20. Couldn’t pass on that. I made cheddar scalloped potatoes to go with it.

Lobster tail is really easy to cook once somebody shows you how and you do it once. I have 16 seasons of America’s Test Kitchen on dvd and learned a whole lot from them.

No pic, so didn't happen BUT we scored some heavily-marbled, Korean-cut beef short ribs at Sam's this week. I put them in an Asian-inspired marinade for 4 hours, then grilled 4 minutes each side on the Weber gas grill. OH MAN! KOTC kept saying how good they were. If we see ribs like that at Sam's again we will be buying them up!

Does it have to be the weekend?

And, arguably, not really cooking but these cheeses are fresh off the smoker tonight and into Foodsaver bags.

First try at smoked cheese. It was around 60F or so when they went in and they got a little softer than expected. I think before doing again I'll wait until it gets a bit cooler.

2 hours smoke with equal parts oak and apple, with just a kiss of hickory.

"They" say the flavor improves with resting so it'll probably be this weekend before first sample. Arghhh.

20231004_223929.jpg

Can you please post the recipe. This sounds like it is something that I would love to try. I put mustard on everything.
absolutely!

https://www.craftbeering.com/beer-mustard/
if anybody else makes it, please share your results. similar to homebrew recipes, I'm sure we'll all end up with similar but different results based on temps and timing

I grind the final mixture this afternoon, likely splitting the batch into two portions where one will be lightly ground (more of a mustard seed spread) and the other coarsely ground into a more traditional course grind format

Our mustard, which we keep in the cupboard, doesn't ever seem to go bad. All the vinegar in it preserves it. We make a yellow mustard and blend it down smooth in the Vitamix. It looks exactly like your standard store-bought yellow mustard but tastes so much better!

Try it, you'll love it.

fresh from being processed a couple hours ago

1696547195152.png

I'll admit I've probably over read mustard making topics in the past 3 days, and was secretly concerned that this would be overly bitter and/or hot. sooo relieved to say this is absolutely NOT the case for my first batch of homemade mustard :)

I think it's a combo of using cold beer + using only beer for the initial hydration step+ letting the absorption happen in the fridge that kept the bitterness and overall heat level low. yes, there's some bitterness but that will temper off as this ages over the next couple of days. the overall heat level is right there with most any other stone ground brown mustard I've purchased previously. I'm actually astonished that this was sandwich ready about an hour after grinding, and the flavor continues to improve since then.

If I was to do anything different it'd be to use more than the 1/2C of stout I used for the hydration step. ALL of that stout was gone when I proceeded to the next step early this afternoon.

looking forward to sharing with friends this weekend, and then onto my next batch utilizing an Octoberfest Marzen instead of the stout.

fresh from being processed a couple hours ago

View attachment 830921

I'll admit I've probably over read mustard making topics in the past 3 days, and was secretly concerned that this would be overly bitter and/or hot. sooo relieved to say this is absolutely NOT the case for my first batch of homemade mustard :)

I think it's a combo of using cold beer + using only beer for the initial hydration step+ letting the absorption happen in the fridge that kept the bitterness and overall heat level low. yes, there's some bitterness but that will temper off as this ages over the next couple of days. the overall heat level is right there with most any other stone ground brown mustard I've purchased previously. I'm actually astonished that this was sandwich ready about an hour after grinding, and the flavor continues to improve since then.

If I was to do anything different it'd be to use more than the 1/2C of stout I used for the hydration step. ALL of that stout was gone when I proceeded to the next step early this afternoon.

looking forward to sharing with friends this weekend, and then onto my next batch utilizing an Octoberfest Marzen instead of the stout.

Try adding turmeric to it next time if you want it shiney gold. I've made loads of mustard here (and I still have loads). Bright yellow is the most fun, and turmeric will get you there.

4E16F9CE-F71B-4177-8FD4-7A202DA77C94.jpeg

0FFEE1AA-1B5E-4038-A289-9A6519EFF219.jpeg

While I was away visiting in-laws I prepared Sunday dinner for 8. Grilled steaks, roasted veggies, garlic roasted potatoes, tossed salad, bread baked that morning and prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe .
23A1A537-8F79-43F5-9FE6-C750E89A755D.jpeg

For lunch back at home today, some leftover beef cheese and onion quesadilla. It’s good to be home.

Back