What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0A3DE845-878B-4E3F-B07C-8993F7DC819A.jpeg

Chicken noodle soup made on a cold day earlier this week.
C9371919-EE76-4214-B25D-C66B9E25ED7A.jpeg

This is pork, shrooms, bell pepper and onions quasi-souvlaki style with garlic naan, served with a salad.

As a temporary bachelor it's hard cooking for just myself so last weekend I made pizza crust and sauce from scratch, divided the crust into 4 pieces, and made 4 separate pizzas with basic toppings(pepperoni, sausage, bell peppers and onion). As I thaw each one out I'll add toppings like chicken, green chile, or shrimp.

Friday I invited a French couple over for lamb ribs and white beans, a traditional French combo. Cooked very rare, the ribs were incredibly tender and delicious. I just polished off the last 2 ribs with a bowl of pumpkin soup for an entree.
In Paris I got invited to a couple's place for dinner. She made some kind of roast tied up in twine, cooked "bleu", as in extremo rare. Holy cow, it was nearly inedible. Embarrassing how long I chewed each piece. Gah!

I wonder what the meat was? I've gotten used to eating meat much rarer in France than I do here, including burgers.
In Paris I got invited to a couple's place for dinner. She made some kind of roast tied up in twine, cooked "bleu", as in extremo rare. Holy cow, it was nearly inedible. Embarrassing how long I chewed each piece. Gah!

I wonder what the meat was? I've gotten used to eating meat much rarer in France than I do here, including burgers.
In Germany I was served raw minced beef as an appetizer at some bars. I thought it was a pile of diced tomatoes at first. It usually had some onions with it, eat on crackers or bread.

In Germany I was served raw minced beef as an appetizer at some bars. I thought it was a pile of diced tomatoes at first. It usually had some onions with it, eat on crackers or bread.
called tiger meat in the midwest. season minced beef with onion and maybe some other herbs. never had it myself. and not sure where the name of tiger meat came from, i am sure there is history behind the meaning.

Hey Melana!!! Nice to "see" you. Your breads look fantastic.

Not watching the Superbowl so I think I may venture over to Sam's Club while the game is on. I did that one year at Costco and there was NOBODY in the place!

Been busy canning stuff. Fun!
what are you canning? I've got a phat canner that doesn't get much use.

What's everyone's Super Bowl food plans? I'm going to slow roast a boneless pork shoulder for pulled pork sliders. I've got a bag of raw shrimp that I'll do something with, haven't decided what yet. Plenty of beer and wine.
That's a start, I'm sure there will be more.

BBQ ribs, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, "christmas roast" green chile queso, chips, etc. All that for sure, not sure what else.

Maybe a hunk of smoked cheese but might be too much considering the queso.

I have some lemon semifreddo and cherry coulis I made yesterday. Thought that might be a good finish but not sure I'll bring it; may not fit the scene. LOL.

And, of course, an assortment of adult beverages.

BBQ ribs, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, "christmas roast" green chile queso, chips, etc. All that for sure, not sure what else.

Maybe a hunk of smoked cheese but might be too much considering the queso.

I have some lemon semifreddo and cherry coulis I made yesterday. Thought that might be a good finish but not sure I'll bring it; may not fit the scene. LOL.

And, of course, an assortment of adult beverages.
Anything w green chiles and cheese gets my attention. The most underrated food combo in the world.

what are you canning? I've got a phat canner that doesn't get much use.
Beans, pork, beef, gonna do some pork stock next! I love to can and it's so nice to open the pantry and see stuff that you can just open and make something easily with. We had rotini pasta with the canned beef (brisket chunks) and marinara sauce - so good and so easy.

That soup looks delicious, Merry. Nice for cold nights!

I just finished cooking off 6 pounds of bacon in the oven.

AND I'm about to run an experiment! I have a nice, thick, flat cut of pork shoulder and I'm gonna try my chuck pot roast recipe on it and see how it works out. I have some homecanned pork stock which should do nicely in that recipe. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it!

Won at meat raffle last night so made stuffed pork chops with mushroom and herb cream gravy for lunch today. Unfortunately, didn't think to take picture until too late.

Cast iron work out. Of course it gets used almost daily. Smash mushroom Swiss burger. Deep dish pizza. And Parmesan potatoes. On cheap china cast iron given to be for Christmas years ago.

Attachments

• KIMG0805.JPG
    KIMG0805.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0800.JPG
    KIMG0800.JPG
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0802.JPG
    KIMG0802.JPG
    872.1 KB · Views: 0
No pictures of the pork pot roast. In theory it turned out really well - tender and pull-apart easy. However, this is some of the last of the pork we bought two years ago now from a local farmer and the fat is strongly-flavored. So, the meaty parts tasted OK but the fatty parts were not to KOTC's liking. I ate it fine but I don't mind "gamier" meats. Might try it again sometime if I find a nice thick flat pork shoulder roast at Sam's Club!

No pictures of the pork pot roast. In theory it turned out really well - tender and pull-apart easy. However, this is some of the last of the pork we bought two years ago now from a local farmer and the fat is strongly-flavored. So, the meaty parts tasted OK but the fatty parts were not to KOTC's liking. I ate it fine but I don't mind "gamier" meats. Might try it again sometime if I find a nice thick flat pork shoulder roast at Sam's Club!
Pork fat oxidizes fairly quickly. I think they say six months in freezer is about max for flavor. I thought this was bogus but after using some shoulder after being a year in freezer for sausage it had the strange flavor.

Latest posts

Back