What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigDaddyBeard said:
Hmm, great thread. Would have taken pictures, but didn't know this existed.

Saturday started my sauerkraut for thanksgiving, and made beef, spinach and ricotta ravioli from homemade pasta.

Sunday was fried chicken with mashed potatoes and braised kale.

Welcome to the party. Pot luck style.

Got some bread soup going with last weeks stale Italian loaf. Good stuff, and a good way to use up stale bread. Didn't hurt that we had some chicken and turkey stock that needed to be used.

Never heard of Bread Soup although it sounds good. Kind of like French Onion Soup with croutons?

Also got some fresh shrimp stock made (finding shrimp w/heads in Pittsburgh was way harder than I expected).

I love making fresh shellfish stock for my seafood chowder, stuffed crab crepes and seafood lasagna.

I made 2.5 gallons of pickles. Letting the pickling juices do their thing right now, then refrigerating. I'm not canning them - I'm going for something like Clausen dills.

This summer I stepped back in time and wanted to do some old fashion icicle pickles the way my grandmother once did. I located a century old hardware store and purchased me a 10 gallon crock. Washed 35 lbs of cukes, fermented them for 2-3 weeks, then sliced them up, and putt'em in the jars.

I eat about a quart a week snacking around the house. Sure not the same as opening a can of grandma's pickles, but they are good. lol

IMG_1806-L.jpg

IMG_1823-L.jpg

This summer I stepped back in time and wanted to do some old fashion icicle pickles the way my grandmother once did. I located a century old hardware store and purchased me a 10 gallon crock. Washed 35 lbs of cukes, fermented them for 2-3 weeks, then sliced them up, and putt'em in the jars.

I eat about a quart a week snacking around the house. Sure not the same as opening a can of grandma's pickles, but they are good. lol

I've been wanting to try fermenting pickles. Could I bother you for your recipe/process?

I made 2.5 gallons of pickles. Letting the pickling juices do their thing right now, then refrigerating. I'm not canning them - I'm going for something like Clausen dills.

Pickles, after 1 day. Lots of garlic an dill in there. Smells like Clausen's. In 2 or 3 more days I'll refrigerate. I added a couple of teaspoons of calcium chloride to try to keep them crisp.

_mg_7459-61386.jpg

No. Not yet. I have no idea what to expect here. Never made them before.

I made that jar for fermenting small batches - seemed like the right size. It's not a carboy, just a jar I bought at Target and added a rubber grommet for the airlock. You can see how I made it here.

No I meant the carboy bung that the airlock is going through. It seems to not have a purpose but wasnt sure if I missed something.

Did you inoculate the pickles to get them to ferment? Or is there enough wild stuff on the pickles to kick off the fermentation?

No I meant the carboy bung that the airlock is going through. It seems to not have a purpose but wasnt sure if I missed something.

Oh, haha. I didn't even notice that. No, it has no purpose. I just don't take the airlock out of it anymore for fear of breaking the airlock. I've got 6 identical assemblies like that... I just grabbed one and shoved it in there.

Did you inoculate the pickles to get them to ferment? Or is there enough wild stuff on the pickles to kick off the fermentation?

No, I just cut them and put them in there (actually, I had my daughter do it). Unfortunately, I had her clean them with starsan before she put them in there. Der. God knows how they'll turn out now.

Oh, haha. I didn't even notice that. No, it has no purpose. I just don't take the airlock out of it anymore for fear of breaking the airlock. I've got 6 identical assemblies like that... I just grabbed one and shoved it in there.

O Ok haha just checking, thanks!

Inspired by brewguyver I just whipped up a pot of bread soup. Carmalized onion, garlic, pan fried stale sourdough remoistened with some half and half, homemade stock from the freezer, thyme and a healthy belt of port to finish. Not pretty but so works for me:D

IMG_0793.jpg

Inspired by brewguyver I just whipped up a pot of bread soup. Carmalized onion, garlic, pan fried stale sourdough remoistened with some half and half, homemade stock from the freezer, thyme and a healthy belt of port to finish. Not pretty but so works for me:D

unrelated but thanks for the sourdough, just got it going today so hopefully this one pulls through for me!

ChefRex said:

One of these days I'm going to come knocking.

passedpawn said:
No, I just cut them and put them in there (actually, I had my daughter do it). Unfortunately, I had her clean them with starsan before she put them in there. Der. God knows how they'll turn out now.
Yea think the natural yeasties on the skin are needed. I started making sauerkraut and I know it ferments from what is on the leaves of the cabbage. I just clean my equipment and vessel with Star San. Definitely need to try pickles!

Cool resource is wildfermentation.com

My Wife is in AZ helping her mother for 3 weeks, she's not a liver fan so I made this for myself. Took out some moose liver a did a kind of 'chopped liver' thing with it. Spread it on some dark rye toast points, very lightly painted with some butter and had some Alaskan Brewing Stout with it. That's all some good stuff, right there.

Recipe for chopped moose liver (adapted this from a friend's chopped liver recipe):

1 lb. moose liver
1 small to medium onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic
small bunch parsley
2 hard boiled eggs
1/4 c. bacon grease
salt and black pepper to taste

Chop liver, 1/2 of the onion and garlic, to a fine chop. Heat half the bacon grease in a pan, saute livers and the chopped vegetables until brown. Finely chop the liver mixture, eggs and the other half onion. Add the rest of the bacon grease, blend with a spoon or spatula to a relatively smooth consistency. Add more if needed. Add salt and pepper (I use fresh ground black pepper) to taste. Put in refrigerator for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley; serve.

The oyster caserole sounds intriguing. I have a "frugel ghourmet cooks American" book that has George Washington's favorite oyster sauce for Virginia ham in it. Tried it once,but it's been a long time. Those colonials knew how to eat.

Yesterday an apple pie with a splash of bourbon, a TARDIS cake for the 50th anniversary special. And I brewed a batch of Rye Pale Ale.

Today I made dog treats with some spent grain and another batch of Zuppa Toscana. I made it 2 days ago for the people at work and my daughter made me make some because she didn't get an leftovers.

Latest posts

Back