What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homemade chilli. Even used some dried red beans. One of the best tasting batches ive made yet. Nice and thick with only a little beans.
slCDu6V.jpg

2SKhrb2.jpg
That looks fantastic. Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo? Will you share the recipe please? And did you cook or soak the beans separately or just cook them in the chilli? You've flung a craving on me! lol

Cooked the beans separately. Used some of the bean water in the chili when i added the beans. 365 organic brand i think.

Main seasons are Williams Original Chili Seasoning, garlic powder, cumin powder and Kirkland No Salt Seasoning. 3lbs 85% lean ground beef and 2 cups chopped yellow onion. Can of Ro-tel tomatoes and green chiles (No salt added). Its pretty lean too so its needed a little avocado oil while browning the meat and onions.

Total sodium is super low so it does need salt added. I like the Williams because it has no salt added. I can adjust salt and "spice" separately.

Accent is 100% MSG. Nearly all of them have been named 'flavor enhancer' unless you have an asian isle.

Luckily there is no shortage of SE Asian stores in my area. I can buy a 5 pound bag of MSG for just under $8. Incredibly cheaper than buying the little bottles/containers in the American stores.

Nongshim Kimchi Ramen bowl
A few ounces of pork neck bone meat and a few ounces of really old kimchi

Get another microwave safe bowl about 1" larger OD
Dump the seasoning pack in then the contents of the Nongshim bowl (Dried noodles and dried flakes)
Place the pork and kimchi around the outer edge. This is part of the reason you want the larger bowl
Fill the Nongshim bowl with hot water. It will be a little more now without noodle block in it
Poor that in your larger bowl
Microwave for 3.5min Stir about half way through
Let set one minute and enjoy :D

Not cooked yet but this is the lovely 20 pound plus boneless prime rib roast I bought at Costco; got 10 1.5" thick steaks, about 2 pounds of steak tips, and some nice trimmings to use when we grind meat for chili later this week.View attachment 712951View attachment 712952View attachment 712953

You need a vacuum sealer. How much per pound? I found it WAY cheaper to buy a prime rib roast and cut into steaks then buying the ribeye separately, too.

You need a vacuum sealer. How much per pound? I found it WAY cheaper to buy a prime rib roast and cut into steaks then buying the ribeye separately, too.

Oh I have two! A FoodSaver and an Avid Armor chamber sealer. I just wrap each steak in stretch tite first and freeze them before I seal - keeps the juice from getting squeezed out, although the chamber vac isn't so prone to doing that.

I think it was about $13/lb. for Prime. Yum yum!

Oh I have two! A FoodSaver and an Avid Armor chamber sealer. I just wrap each steak in stretch tite first and freeze them before I seal - keeps the juice from getting squeezed out, although the chamber vac isn't so prone to doing that.

I think it was about $13/lb. for Prime. Yum yum!

Okay, that makes sense.

I went back to work today after a week and a half off for the holidays. My wife on the other hand is off one more week. So today I came home to a glorious smell as I walked into the house. She made a large pan of halupki. She even got some rye bread to go along with them. Delicious!!

E42BAD34-EB97-4C22-A4A3-D9714B389861.jpeg

I went back to work today after a week and a half off for the holidays. My wife on the other hand is off one more week. So today I came home to a glorious smell as I walked into the house. She made a large pan of halupki. She even got some rye bread to go along with them. Delicious!!

View attachment 713108
What is the difference between halupki and golumpki?

Back