What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked ribs. 3 hours ok the grill, 2 hours in foil on the grill soaked in oaked port wine. Came out great! Homemade dry rub too
20200322_214008.jpeg
Image.jpeg

That looks and sounds great. I need to get some honey for my marinade. This is a lot like our newfound summer marinade. I do the same but also use an acid or one of these. Onion, splash of tequila, splash of rice wine vinegar, lemon zest, lime zest, lemon juice, lime juice, a little piece of jalopeno, ground in a mortar and pestle. If you dont have a mortar and pestle use the back of the spoon in a proper bowl. Its amazing what the mashing does for that marinade. I start with solids, onion, garlic, spices, salt for grinding, jalapeno, sugar and citrus zest. Then add liquids to the paste. The guac this makes is heavenly.

Last night I made more fried pasta noodles with a not so different sauce. It was sooo good. I love this dish. Didnt hurt I used a ginormous bag of smoked pork butt with it.
View attachment 672252

Soy sauce
Honey
Garlic
Red pepper flakes
Pork chops

Anybody got a good tikka masala sauce recipe they really like? I have 1.5 pounds of ground venison defrosted to make meatballs and KOTC would like tikka masala sauce on them! Thanks in advance!
This is the IP version I did not long ago for Chicken. It was amazing. You may be able to do the marinade and sauce portions. Recipe came from pipinghotcurry.com.

IP Chicken Tikka Masala – pipinghotcurry.com

Ingredients

• 1 lb Chicken breasts
For marinade

• 1/4 cup Yogurt thick
  • 3/4 tbsp Ginger grated
  • 3/4 tbsp Garlic minced
  • 1 tbsp Lime juice
  • 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder mild, adjust to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric (Haldi powder)
  • 1 tsp Garam masala
  • 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
Spices for sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Garam masala
  • 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder adjust to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric (Haldi powder)
For sauce

• 2 tbsp Ghee or Oil divided
  • 1 cup Onion finely diced
  • 1 tsp Ginger grated
  • 1 tsp Garlic minced
  • 1 cup Tomato Puree canned
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup Heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
  • Cilantro to garnish
For Rice

• 1 cup Basmati rice
  • 1 1/4 cup Water
  • 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil (optional)
  • 1 tsp Salt (optional)
Directions

Marinate the chicken
  1. Combine all ingredients for the marinade (except chicken) in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Add chicken and coat on each side with the marinade.
  3. Let it rest for anywhere between 30 minutes to 8 hours in the refrigerator.

This is the IP version I did not long ago for Chicken. It was amazing. You may be able to do the marinade and sauce portions. Recipe came from pipinghotcurry.com.

IP Chicken Tikka Masala – pipinghotcurry.com

Ingredients
For sauce

• 2 tbsp Ghee or Oil divided
  • 1 cup Onion finely diced
  • 1 tsp Ginger grated
  • 1 tsp Garlic minced
  • 1 cup Tomato Puree canned
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup Heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
  • Cilantro to garnish

Thanks, Travis, I can work with this! :)

It’s cold and rainy here, a great day to cook up some chili. I soaked the pintos overnight.

Great minds. Did chili here too night before last and ate it again last night on some brats!

Did a bunch of cooking this weekend:
First is Saturday morning breakfast.
Second is Ramen that my daughter picked up at a place called Ramen Head and brought by the house for us for dinner Saturday night. Just amazing! Really AMAZING!!!. That's pork belly on top and the broth takes like 60 hours to prep. Just amazingly good!
Third picture is the chili I mentioned.
And finally are the poached then pan fried brats and knackwurst. I always grill brats, but these turned out like the ones I used to get on the street in Germany that were cooked on a flat top and were really very good!
Did I mention that the RAMEN IS AMAZING. My favorite new restaurant in town. Only been open a month or two. I hope they can make it through all this turmoil.

Breakfast 3.21.2020.jpg
Ramen Head Delivery 3.21.2020.jpg
Chili 3.22.2020.jpg
Skillet Brats 3.21.2020.jpg

You are most certainly welcome!

I made the tikka masala sauce - with a bit more ginger and garam masala and cinnamon - and made the venison meatballs with some of the same spices as the sauce. Made about 1" meatballs, roasted them in the oven, and covered with the sauce. DELICIOUS! No pictures because we scarfed it down too fast last night - will try to remember to get a plated picture tonight when we finish it off. Thanks, Travis!

It all looks good Travis! Is that a carrot flower I see in the ramen? Fancy and it looks delicious.
They usually have two halves of a Japanese egg of some kind too. I just realized that was missing from the take out. I wonder if they are having trouble getting eggs? But this stuff is so good that the next day you are trying to figure out how to get it again and again! lol

Beef (chuck roast), barley and veggie soup. Good splash of some homemade mild chili oil on top. Its just Korean pepper flakes and rice bran oil so its very mild.
QBAwa0J.jpg
Made beef and barley last week. Used beef cheeks, one of my goto meats for slow-cooker stews. Usually a budget cut, usually available (unlike everything else that's been picked over by the end-of-days folks), and is a tough but very flavorful cut.

Speaking of availablity... beef heart has been very accessible as has other organ meats. I stocked up on beef heart, liver, kidneys, oxtail, tripe and tendon as well as chicken feet, hearts, gizzards and livers. Some for me, some for the dogs.

Kahpoon soup with beef balls and chicken feet.
20200325_200411.jpg

Made beef and barley last week. Used beef cheeks, one of my goto meats for slow-cooker stews. Usually a budget cut, usually available (unlike everything else that's been picked over by the end-of-days folks), and is a tough but very flavorful cut.

Speaking of availablity... beef heart has been very accessible as has other organ meats. I stocked up on beef heart, liver, kidneys, oxtail, tripe and tendon as well as chicken feet, hearts, gizzards and livers. Some for me, some for the dogs.

View attachment 672765

Love beef heart and ox tail. Chicken feet are useful for the collagen. The rest you can keep! lol Although I do giblet gravy every year, so I guess I do have uses for the hearts, gizzards, and livers :)

Love beef heart and ox tail. Chicken feet are useful for the collagen. The rest you can keep! lol Although I do giblet gravy every year, so I guess I do have uses for the hearts, gizzards, and livers :)
My grandmother used to make a chicken gizzard/hearts dish with rice, carrots, and celery. I still make it about once a year. Great on a cold/damp day. Comfort food that takes me back to my youth.

I dont do hardly any liver. Fried gizzards though i will hammer if they are good. Oxtails around here are anything but cheap. They are a solid $6lb or more. Beef tongue isnt even cheap. Chuck i can get all day long for under $5/lb and the flavor is excellent.

Meaty pork belly/pork side is the best value and great source of collagen too. I have to go to the specialty markets though to get the meaty kind. Normal stores only sell "bacon quality" pork belly. Its mostly fat and no skin. Try cooking a nice meaty piece of pork belly like a brisket sometime. :rock: Add some hong shao rou type seasonings if you wish. Thats mostly just soy sauce, rice wine and sesame oil.

20200327_162302.jpg
The pencil drawing was a bit better lol. This mischievous lil bunny comes across the giant egg and has plans for eating it. The kids and I made this. The crumb coat made it really good. Cream cheese frosting crumb coat with colored strawberry frosting cuz thats all store had. Also made some pecan smoked pork last night, having tonight with homemade bread and basmati rice.

View attachment 672765
So what is so great with chicken feet. I am all for internal organs but I cant do feet.

So what is so great with chicken feet. I am all for internal organs but I cant do feet.
Like many things, nothing special if poorly done. Chicken feet, or any feet for that matter are full of collagens and connective tissue. Adding them to soup or stocks really brings out that deep flavor. It's like making soup from meat and canned stock instead of bones is a little lacking.

Regarding eating the feet, its like eating wings. Little meat and lots of work but good flavor. Not a problem for bone suckers. Closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat... (sing it louis prima)

Like many things, nothing special if poorly done. Chicken feet, or any feet for that matter are full of collagens and connective tissue. Adding them to soup or stocks really brings out that deep flavor. It's like making soup from meat and canned stock instead of bones is a little lacking.

Regarding eating the feet, its like eating wings. Little meat and lots of work but good flavor. Not a problem for bone suckers. Closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat... (sing it louis prima)
Yeah I get it. I have made plenty of bone soup.

Latest posts

Back