What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant recall if I posted this but we finally cooked the pasta I made a ways back. Boy was it good! Taglioni. I really worked it through the numbers, do you go 2x through or more each number, or once? Also i think I went to 8 or something in thinness.
20191003_181235.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the only raw meat I've bought from Costco is salmon as their prices are always 2-3 times my grocery store prices. If I'm going to pay premium, I prefer the butcher shop.

I'll note an exception on that form of meat. Their salmon is always really good.

Made Cincinnati chili. I blended the onions which made a slight difference texture-wise. I was going to attach a photo but didn't because it was ultra-boring. Here's my cat after helping me decide which photo to post. He'll confirm it was too boring to send once he wakes.
face planter.jpg

So yesterday was Oktoberfest at my yard. Served brats, beer brined chicken, pork loin, potato pancakes with homemade apple sauce, and there was Home fermented sauerkraut. Homemade spatzle brought by a friend. Guests brought several desserts and I baked an easy peasy Black Forest dump cake. Didn’t get food pictures yesterday, but as I have the leftovers you’ll see how it was.

So yesterday was Oktoberfest at my yard. Served brats, beer brined chicken, pork loin, potato pancakes with homemade apple sauce, and there was Home fermented sauerkraut. Homemade spatzle brought by a friend. Guests brought several desserts and I baked an easy peasy Black Forest dump cake. Didn’t get food pictures yesterday, but as I have the leftovers you’ll see how it was.
Sounds great!! Sorry I missed it.

Sausage & kale soup, with fermented fresno chili hot sauce.

I think this is an @Evilgrin recipe....

Yes in deed that is some tasty soup.

I found the recipe

For this one i used 1 cup of heavy cream but thats added to 32oz of chicken stock and 2 cups of water also. Thats not all that bad considering how much stock and water is used. My sausage was extremely lean.

1 Lg Russet pealed and diced...these will break down for the starch in your soup so you want them pealed
1 Lg Yukon Gold or red diced...i like the skins on these
1 Med onion chopped
1 Tbs minced garlic
1-1.5lb of Italian sausage
About 2-3 cups of kale torn into bite sized pieces (stems removed)
32oz of chicken stock
2 Cups of water
1 Cup of heavy whipping cream
1 Tsp Better Than Bullion (optional)
1 Tsp MSG (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 Tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
About 2 Tbs of bacon crumbles...added near the end or as a garnish.

A little olive oil and pork fat drippings to saute the onions. I used about 1 TBS of each. Saute the onions until clear then add the pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic. Add precooked and drained sausage. Cook a couple more minutes.

Add the chicken stock and water. Bring it to a boil. Add the diced russets. Once it returns to a light boil wait about 10-15min before adding the yukons and reduce heat to a good simmer. Stir the russets while cooking to help them break down a little bit too.

When the yukons are about done add the heavy cream and the kale. Careful not to get the cream too hot.

Garnish with bacon bits and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano...NOT that junk in a tube.

There is also a Tuscon bean version and Caldo Verde (Spanish/Portuguese) which uses another kind of sausage. All of them are really good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back