What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apricots and chicken on skewers, with a glaze of honey and thyme, which is a great glaze for chicken with apricots (apricots are a little bitter when grilled). Wife approved.

And some veggies. Everybodies corn looks so good when they do it in a pot or inside the husk, but man I love the flavor of scorched corn. Ugly!

Almost everything I make is on grill, not sure why. Oh wait, that's next to my keezer :) I did make a batch of tabbouleh tonight, one of my favorite foods, and some mustard, but that's boring stuff.

_mg_1519-67368.jpg

_mg_1515-67366.jpg

_mg_1518-67367.jpg

Wife made fried chicken, mashed taters & some savory spinach for supper last night. she keeps the oil in our new deep fryer cleaned out, & the flavor is light & crispy. I hate to admit it, but she's getting pretty good! She wants to make her drunk chicken soon (cacciatore). We like it made with Lambrusco. I then got to thinking, I have 2 gallon buckets, airlocks, & a 1 gallon jug. Maybe make one gallon kits of lambrusco or similar, if she can drink/eat it without getting sick, like beer? She's a type one diabetic...

SWMBO making a huge package of pork chops as we speak. I hope they're the kind with onions & tomato sauce?! some mashed taters & greens would be great too...:rockin:

I'm doing Gumbo! Roux first. Then my favorite part, putting the trinity into the screaming hot roux! Smell of that is just amazing!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468098563.122927.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468098588.026146.jpg
Seasonings go in.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468098632.016092.jpg
Then the pre cooked sausage and chicken, broth, water, tomatoes, and everybody is in the pool except for the seafood.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468098742.146435.jpg

nice gumbo.

We've been using the glut of rhubarb to make rhubacon on the grill.
just wrap sugar covered 2 inch rhubarb in bacon, grill to nice and dark on the outside and shrunk....soo tasty.

Made avacado hummus today for lunch. So good. Took a pic but it was blurry ( I might have been chewing:) ). Just purree two avacados, 15 oz can of chick peas, 1/4c of lemon juice and 1/2c olive oil. S&P to taste. I drizzled some olive oil on top then added crushed black pepper. So freaking good. Could be used as veggie dip or with nacho chips.

You could add 1 tbsp of tahini if you like that, but I don't ever - tahini is why I never eat storebought hummus. Also would be good with some chopped jalapenos or cayennes in there, but I expect wife to eat it later, so I left those out. Adding a relish of chopped black & green olives & pimento are good on top of hummus.

Sorry, I know these posts are expected to have pics, but didn't work out this time.

[edit] wth, bad pic is better than none at all

_mg_1523-67379.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468283001.769338.jpg

We made pappardelle with vegetables and pesto tonight. Most of the vegetables are from the garden (celery, beans, peas, bok choi, pepper) and the pasta is fresh and locally made. The pesto is homemade from last summer (frozen).

We bought an onion at the farmers market at bacon & tomatoes at the store. It's almost vegetarian, but not quite.

Looks great to me! Why the aversion to tahini? I put it in all my hummus recipes.

I don't know why, but I hate that taste. It's like peanut butter, which I like but not in my dinner. I can only make hummus, never buy it, for that reason.

Anyway, the recipe is there, try it out. Add tahini if you like. I'm making some more tomorrow. It's my lunchtime snack.

I don't know why, but I hate that taste. It's like peanut butter, which I like but not in my dinner. I can only make hummus, never buy it, for that reason.

Anyway, the recipe is there, try it out. Add tahini if you like. I'm making some more tomorrow. It's my lunchtime snack.

I mostly agree, though I still put a little in mine. I kept adjusting to taste until I decided that I just wanted a bit of it. Most recipes seem to have an awful lot. Maybe I'll try it without. My favorite local one is Yummies Choice. This guy makes a bunch of great stuff. I'd guess that his doesn't have quite that much tahini but it's been awhile since I've had it.

I prefer his Baba Ghanoush over everything though. That stuff is awesome.

Neua Naam Tok (Thai "waterfall" beef). Skirt steak, mint, red onion, cilantro, lemon grass, and chilies; with a sauce of soy, fish sauce, chile powder, honey, beef stock, and lime juice. Sprinkled with Khao Khua (toasted sticky rice powder). If you haven't cooked with Khao Khua, you haven't cooked Thai. :)

IMG_20160712_202724.jpg

... and... I know what I'm making this wkend!!!

Wish I could beam you these little eggplants from my garden. What do you think is a good way to prepare the eggplant for baba ganoush?

I think i have eaten tahini out of a spoon, but I got no problem with leaving it out. I would be thrilled to have a plate that humus sitting in front of me. I used to eat a lot of powdered hummus in college, it had a unique odor that my friends decided they would beat me if they had to smell again.

I like stuffing cubanella peppers with loose Italian sausage & shredded cheese, then bake in marinara sauce till just tender. My wife has been downloading cookbooks to the Kindle device we bought her, & this meatloaf recipe had a really nice topping sauce for it. It's made from chopped pineapple & juice, ketchup & soy sauce. Baked on top, it comes out tasting much like this fruit chutney sauce I first encountered at Riverfest at the old Lorain Port authority mentioned in one of my The Driver's Eye videos. This black lady & her husband put it on the ribs & chicken they barbecued on the spot. I'll have to get the exact recipe from her. I've got to play with this one in the pit! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back