What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotta start my oven build. All I have is the blocks for the base cut so far :( But I do have a Harbor Freight Brick Saw :) Nothing quite like wood fired ovens.

I believe there is a thread on here somewhere that documents some knucklehead attempting to build one. From what I remember of that thread it should be considered a "What not to do" primer.

I have a thought/inspiration for dinner tonight. Tell me what you think...

Chicken wings marinated in soy, ginger, garlic, scallions... maybe a little fresh orange juice (?) and baked in the convection oven over a bed of cold soba noodles that have been touched with a little sesame oil and soy...

Melana, let me know if this is too far afield from the intent of the thread...

I have a thought/inspiration for dinner tonight. Tell me what you think...

Chicken wings marinated in soy, ginger, garlic, scallions... maybe a little fresh orange juice (?) and baked in the convection oven over a bed of cold soba noodles that have been touched with a little sesame oil and soy...

Melana, let me know if this is too far afield from the intent of the thread...

Hell... go make them and post pictures later. Perhaps we should start a 'Food ideas' Thread?

If they made those ballpark garlic fries at Fenway it would *ALMOST * be worth it to go there and sit through the three hours of self flagellation. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) they don't. I'll have to try those at home.

My God, baseball is a three-hour investment of time on a weekend?! Shoot me.

I took a vacation week recently and the only thing SWMBO put as a requirement for the week was to go one night to a game at Fenway. Bless her heart but I had a "discussion" that in a way I didn't want to support the team by showing up or paying for tickets. I made my case and then I of course had to buy tickets.

The good news is the hordes of people getting in and out was non existent which is most of the aggravation going to the game. Plus tickets were dirt cheap and really good. 7 rows off of first base.

The other good news is we hit up a chinese restaurant in the Back Bay I've been dying to try. Goooooot lit and then headed to the game.

fenway.jpg

I took a vacation week recently and the only thing SWMBO put as a requirement for the week was to go one night to a game at Fenway. Bless her heart but I had a "discussion" that in a way I didn't want to support the team by showing up or paying for tickets. I made my case and then I of course had to buy tickets.

The good news is the hordes of people getting in and out was non existent which is most of the aggravation going to the game. Plus tickets were dirt cheap and really good. 7 rows off of first base.

The other good news is we hit up a chinese restaurant in the Back Bay I've been dying to try. Goooooot lit and then headed to the game.

So, how much DOES a fen weigh?

Making some Bang Bang Shrimp... Wife bought small shrimp so it's more like popcorn Bang Bang shrimp. Sauce is on point though

I believe there is a thread on here somewhere that documents some knucklehead attempting to build one. From what I remember of that thread it should be considered a "What not to do" primer.

Yes, I watched your build and all the crap you took here, but I know what you were going through to build it cause I have watched 10-15 builds on other sites. I think your's came out great as evidenced by the post build results!

Yes, I watched your build and all the crap you took here, but I know what you were going through to build it cause I have watched 10-15 builds on other sites. I think your's came out great as evidenced by the post build results!

From what I read Paul didn't have a clue what he was doing:D

From what I read Paul didn't have a clue what he was doing:D

No doubt my build will be better! Lol

Honestly, none of us know what we are doing when you build an oven, unless you do it for a living. You learn what you can then bite the bullet and build it. Probably a small minority have done it more than once [emoji1]

Chicken thighs with sage wrapped in prosciuto

Oh man, that looks divine! I have two packages of prosciutto I've been trying to decide how to use - this looks like a winner. Also my sage plant is very productive. My Thai basil is too - I bet that would also be good in place of sage in at least a few of them!

What's your cooking method there, Melana?

Oh man, that looks divine! I have two packages of prosciutto I've been trying to decide how to use - this looks like a winner. Also my sage plant is very productive. My Thai basil is too - I bet that would also be good in place of sage in at least a few of them!

What's your cooking method there, Melana?

Season, wrap, and brown in a pan. Transfer to a baking dish with a little stock and roast until done. I deglazed the pan with wine and lemon.

Season, wrap, and brown in a pan. Transfer to a baking dish with a little stock and roast until done. I deglazed the pan with wine and lemon.

Perfect, thanks! I've got to try this.

We do one with shrimp - large peeled and deveined shrimp, wrap a basil leaf around the shrimp then wrap that with a strip of prosciutto, sizzle 'em up in a little olive oil til shrimp is just cooked through. Makes a great appetizer or meal.

Perfect, thanks! I've got to try this.

We do one with shrimp - large peeled and deveined shrimp, wrap a basil leaf around the shrimp then wrap that with a strip of prosciutto, sizzle 'em up in a little olive oil til shrimp is just cooked through. Makes a great appetizer or meal.

These recipes sound great...except I think I would do them with thinly sliced bacon, or pancetta. I've never been a proponent of cooking prosciutto...it has such a subtle, wonderful flavor. In my opinion (and I'm not saying anyone else is wrong...just opinion!), cooking prosciutto changes the flavor to something not much different than plain ol' ham. I love the traditional prosciutto wrapped honeydew or cantaloupe.

Pressure canned 7 quarts of green beans. Got a late start so a second 5 gallon bucket of beans will go to Son and Daughter-in-law, at Grandsons' birthday party tomorrow.

Another quarts worth was saved back just for fresh eating.

Latest posts

Back