What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg1_zpsujhjrx2c.jpg

Shrimp, chicken, and chorizo paella. :mug:

Next time, use rabbit instead of chicken!

I've got to get a proper paella pan and make some. That looks so darned good.

Most of them are carbon steel, so they rust every time you wash them unless you give them a good oiling down. I seen a stainless steel one for sale on amazon.

Forgot to upload from this weekend, so here are some leftovers :p

Did some quick and simple kabobs one night. Served with couscous and homemade yogurt.

The other mess of a plate is a Korean dish called "Dak Galbi"
I wasn't able to find all of my ingredients at the oriental market, but I made do. Wife thought it was way too spicy though :ban:

bobs.jpg

dakgalbi.jpg

Yeah, I would also recommend staying away from aluminum for cooking, especially anything acidic. My pan is carbon steel and is only a year old now, so it still looks like aluminum or stainless steel. The middle is starting to turn that blackish color that we associate with carbon steel. I hear it could take many years for it to completely turn that color.

-Mike

Yeah, I would also recommend staying away from aluminum for cooking, especially anything acidic. My pan is carbon steel and is only a year old now, so it still looks like aluminum or stainless steel. The middle is starting to turn that blackish color that we associate with carbon steel. I hear it could take many years for it to completely turn that color.

-Mike

When I bought a carbon steel wok it came with instructions on how to season it. Some heat, some oil, and wiping with a couple of paper towels and it has s nice dark blue/brown coating on it that seems to be protecting it very nicely.

Which reminds me I need to pick up some stuff for stir fry.

Im honestly not a fan of bread and butter pickles

I think of pickles as the classic Claussen dill pickles.

I was around 35 before I finally could eat bread and butter, too. My gateway for any sweet pickles were spicy sweet pickles from ozark pickle pantry on a hamburger - no affiliation on my part (http://www.ozarkpicklepantry.com). As silly as it sounds, I still have to think of any sweet pickle variety as some sort of sweet chutney to enjoy them or it's a chore to get them down.

And I can only use them to complement the flavors of a meal while I can eat Claussens alone by the jar.

Bread and butter pickles
View attachment 290179

I didn't even taste a bread and butter pickle until I was in my twenties. Always disliked sweet pickles. Bread and butter pickles were...different. Over time, they grew on me. They are actually good with pork bar-b-q. I made some a couple of years ago and was pretty happy with them.

I love some b&b pickles. They're good on almost every sandwich I can think of.The microwave b&b pickle recipe on Food.com is so quick and easy it doesn't seem like it could be good ,but it really is.It's the only way I make them.Very easy to adjust the sweetness to suit your taste.

Those just look fantastic!! :mug:

Care to share your marinade recipe?

I don't have set recipe, but it's approximately

1 part soy sauce
1 part lime juice
2 parts orange juice
2 parts olive oil
a bit of of white wine vinegar (maybe 0.25 part?)

Pepper, garlic, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, or any other spices you like

Last night was chicken stir fry.

Wife made the instant white rice.

The instructions for the recipe I found online was not in the best order. I started making it and found it to be lacking, so I swapped a few things around, but still the Veggies turned out mushy. (I like them that way) so next time I'll know to cook some things ahead of others instead of relying on the recipe timings.

Other than that, it turned out really tasty, if not exactly unique.

I don't have set recipe, but it's approximately

1 part soy sauce
1 part lime juice
2 parts orange juice
2 parts olive oil
a bit of of white wine vinegar (maybe 0.25 part?)

Pepper, garlic, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, or any other spices you like

Thanks for that. I don't have set recipes for most marinades either, which usually means when they turn out extra special I have no clue what I did differently! lol

For you bread & butter pickle eaters - do NOT throw out the juice when the pickles are gone! Instead, open a jar of nacho jalapenos, drain out the juice (don't throw THAT away either, more on that in a minute) and fill the jar with the bread & butter juice. Let sit in the fridge for at least a week before eating. Bread & butter jalapenos are SO GOOD!

Now - the juice you drained off the jalapenos makes dandy hot pickled onions - just cut an onion into nice pieces, kind of wedge shaped is our preference, and put those into the jalapeno juice, let sit in fridge til the onion has absorbed the pickling liquid. YUM.

For you bread & butter pickle eaters - do NOT throw out the juice when the pickles are gone! Instead, open a jar of nacho jalapenos, drain out the juice (don't throw THAT away either, more on that in a minute) and fill the jar with the bread & butter juice. Let sit in the fridge for at least a week before eating. Bread & butter jalapenos are SO GOOD!

Now - the juice you drained off the jalapenos makes dandy hot pickled onions - just cut an onion into nice pieces, kind of wedge shaped is our preference, and put those into the jalapeno juice, let sit in fridge til the onion has absorbed the pickling liquid. YUM.

Okay... A trip to the mercado is in order.

Love the oregano in San Diego style jalapeños and carrots; now need to add red onions to the cheap canned version.

B&b and dill/kosher jalapeños upcoming.

How do you think fresh jalapeños would do?

(Caveat: the tilda was automatically added by my cellphone. Not nearly that pretentious)

I've used fresh jalapenos, cut into rings - but didn't find them significantly better than using the already-cut nacho-style jalapeno rings you can buy in jars or cans. Also, if using the fresh ones, best to bring the liquid to a boil and then pour it on the fresh peppers. Seems to break them down a bit faster so they absorb the yummy juice.

Sometimes I can buy the rajas-style peppers in cans - instead of rings, they're cut into strips, like quartered or so peppers.

Those B & B jalapenos are REALLY good atop some chili - even Dennison's canned hot & spicy chili benefits from a few of those on top.

I'm too lazy to look up what keystrokes make the tilde! :)

I've used fresh jalapenos, cut into rings - but didn't find them significantly better than using the already-cut nacho-style jalapeno rings you can buy in jars or cans. Also, if using the fresh ones, best to bring the liquid to a boil and then pour it on the fresh peppers. Seems to break them down a bit faster so they absorb the yummy juice.

Sometimes I can buy the rajas-style peppers in cans - instead of rings, they're cut into strips, like quartered or so peppers.

Those B & B jalapenos are REALLY good atop some chili - even Dennison's canned hot & spicy chili benefits from a few of those on top.

I'm too lazy to look up what keystrokes make the tilde! :)

I ask due to the proliferation of jalapeños in the garden. And the opportunity to buy 50# of then for super cheap.

Thanks to Android, my laziness translates to elegance!

I use leftover dill pickle juice to pickle hard boiled eggs. I did it with pickled beets juice one time and the whites turned a beautiful purple! Anyway, if I have eggs that reach their expiration date, I boil 'em and toss 'em in the jar. They last pretty much indefinitely. The whites get a little denser, but the yolk stays just like it's fresh. Any time I make tuna salad or chicken salad...boom! Ready to go! Sometimes, they even satisfy a weird craving and go well with beer!

IMG_20150716_225445384.jpg

I use leftover dill pickle juice to pickle hard boiled eggs. I did it with pickled beets juice one time and the whites turned a beautiful purple! Anyway, if I have eggs that reach their expiration date, I boil 'em and toss 'em in the jar. They last pretty much indefinitely. The whites get a little denser, but the yolk stays just like it's fresh. Any time I make tuna salad or chicken salad...boom! Ready to go! Sometimes, they even satisfy a weird craving and go well with beer!

Those would be GREAT in that jalapeno brine! Gotta try it.

Oh heck yeah, Banesong, if you have oodles of fresh ones that's the way to go. Just heat up the juice first. I think I posted way upthread someplace my bread & butter brine - if not I can repost if you want, I always 4x it when I make it because we like LOTS of bread & butter pickles.

You shell them first right? I can only imagine the fun you would have trying to peel a pickled egg.

Those would be GREAT in that jalapeno brine! Gotta try it.

Oh heck yeah, Banesong, if you have oodles of fresh ones that's the way to go. Just heat up the juice first. I think I posted way upthread someplace my bread & butter brine - if not I can repost if you want, I always 4x it when I make it because we like LOTS of bread & butter pickles.

I now have something to do with my garden's extra bounty of jalapenos (no tilda, on the laptop now).

If you have extra Asian peppers, you can always salt them. A salted hot pepper omelette is actually pretty darn good.

LOL...yes, boiled AND peeled!

Not as obvious an answer as you might think... Chinese Tea Eggs are boiled and cracked and then brined in black tea, spices, and soy sauce for quite a while. When peeled, they have a spiderwebby look to them.

Actually, Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Back