What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lemon tree in my backyard that I planted 15 years ago. It isn't as useful as you might think. Buckets of lemons. ??

I also have a kumquat tree that I planted. Don't ask me what I was thinking. Dade City, just north of me, has a annual parade where they award the Kumquat Queen. Just imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhYghzNfII

Squeeze them and put the juice into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then put it into ziplock bags and you have it for a long time. I'm surprised that someone hasn't suggest kumquat mead yet. :D

Kumquat Marmalade?

I did make marmalade from them a few years ago. I didn't put enough sugar in it and it was just too bitter. I meant to make that again.

I made (invented!) kumquat sandies that were REALLY good. I made the cookie dough with kumquat skins and pecans, rolled in parchment, refrigerated, then sliced. I need to do that again this fall.

2012-12-22-at-205233-57795.jpg

2012-12-22-at-205154-57796.jpg

Squeeze them and put the juice into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then put it into ziplock bags and you have it for a long time. I'm surprised that someone hasn't suggest kumquat mead yet. :D

I made a kumquat wheat that was really good.

Yes, I froze juice once. I ran a tree-full of lemons through my juicer and froze the juice in tupperware containers. Made lemonade with some of it (that nobody drank), and eventually (months later) my wife tossed it all. With teenage+ kids in the house, there's never enough space in a fridge.

i did make marmalade from them a few years ago. I didn't put enough sugar in it and it was just too bitter. I meant to make that again.

I made (invented!) kumquat sandies that were really good. I made the cookie dough with kumquat skins and pecans, rolled in parchment, refrigerated, then sliced. I need to do that again this fall.

2012-12-22-at-205233-57795.jpg

2012-12-22-at-205154-57796.jpg

omg!

I made a kumquat wheat that was really good.

Yes, I froze juice once. I ran a tree-full of lemons through my juicer and froze the juice in tupperware containers. Made lemonade with some of it (that nobody drank), and eventually (months later) my wife tossed it all. With teenage+ kids in the house, there's never enough space in a fridge.

Lemon curd? Lemon chicken? Lemon shrimp? Lemon shandies? Lemon tarts? Sometimes I like to use lemon juice in a salad dressing, or even instead of dressing. I'll often use lemon juice as a condiment with Mexican or Thai food. You could even use it to make your own tofu; basically it's just soy milk & lemon juice, you've already got a press. :)
Just some ideas. Regards, GF.

Started fermenting a single jar of Kosher style dill pickles, using a few small cukes from the garden. I'm using a little china boullion cup to cover/seal the top and also keeps the cukes submerged. Fun little experiment... we'll see if it's worth making a big batch.

IMG_20150626_181608276.jpg

Late night snack...grocery store had ground elk on sale and I've never had it before. Made a burger yesterday. Tonight, it's "hamburger steak"bstyle, in aa gravy made with butter, shallots, home brew, blackberries, rosemary, a touch of honey, and a little worcestershire. Paired with a Whitestreet Scottish Ale from Wake Forest, North Carolina. Oh...MY!

IMG_20150626_235330466.jpg

IMG_20150626_235423816.jpg

Had friends over for dinner last night for what turned out to be a gluttonous night. Started with crab cakes & ABTs
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435407527.233335.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435407537.065628.jpg

Then filet with corn-on-the-cob and macaroni salad.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435407574.972690.jpg

And finished with devils food cupcakes filled with a mint chocolate mousse.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435407623.606902.jpg

Amazing part is everything got cleaned up before passing out at midnight. And after eating all that I was impervious to the effects of all the beer I drank!

Started fermenting a single jar of Kosher style dill pickles, using a few small cukes from the garden. I'm using a little china boullion cup to cover/seal the top and also keeps the cukes submerged. Fun little experiment... we'll see if it's worth making a big batch.

Looks good. If you want to keep the pickles submerged, fill a quart baggie with water and set it on top of the pickles.

Grilled some beautiful salmon fillets last night and I finally have my salmon grilling technique down. Wanna hear? Here goes:

Skin on fillets.
Medium direct heat.

Take a piece of HD foil and fold it over a couple times so it's roughly the same size as the fillets. Oil the foil with grapeseed oil or olive oil or whatever you have and then just carpet the $#*& out of the foil with Kosher salt. Think you have too much salt? Add more. Just cover the foil with salt.

Place the fillets skin side up on the foil and place them, foil side down, directly over the coals. Peek occasionally. When the fish's color change starts to get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the fillet, turn it over (skin side down) to finish 'er off. Pull it off the grill when it's about 130-135 F and add some fresh pepper. Perfect every time.

That's pretty close to how we did fresh salmon fillets on the grill back at home. Simple & good, especially with the lid down & some wood on the coals.

Grilled some beautiful salmon fillets last night and I finally have my salmon grilling technique down. Wanna hear? Here goes:

Skin on fillets.
Medium direct heat.

Take a piece of HD foil and fold it over a couple times so it's roughly the same size as the fillets. Oil the foil with grapeseed oil or olive oil or whatever you have and then just carpet the $#*& out of the foil with Kosher salt. Think you have too much salt? Add more. Just cover the foil with salt.

Place the fillets skin side up on the foil and place them, foil side down, directly over the coals. Peek occasionally. When the fish's color change starts to get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the fillet, turn it over (skin side down) to finish 'er off. Pull it off the grill when it's about 130-135 F and add some fresh pepper. Perfect every time.

That sound good! And being I got charged for 40 oranges instead of two when I went to the store tonight I might pick some up and give it a go.:D

Wow, that was a fat-fingered mistake for sure!! Grrrrrr.

Hope you got your salmon!

Yea wasn't too happy, went through the line and the girl fat fingered 21 even though I had labeled the bag, i thought the total was high so I squinted at the receipt as I didn't have a pair of glasses and headed over to CS, no problem I refund for 19 but no, she charged me for 19 and I didn't look till I got home.
I called and there was nothing they could do over the phone.
Straightened it out today, and I bought some nice salmon.:D

The Jarlsberg Swiss cheese is made about 75M SE of me near Berlin.

Jarlsburg is one of my favorites...Emmenthal and Gruyere are awesome, but Jarlsberg is great on a sandwich or burger. I didn't even realize it was a domestic! Harris Teeter has it on sale for $4.99 lb...cheap for a decent cheese, these days!

Fun Fact: Pinconning Cheese was developed in Pinconning Michigan.

I thought it was an old cheese style that they named the town after, not the other way around!

I have a lemon tree in my backyard that I planted 15 years ago. It isn't as useful as you might think. Buckets of lemons. ??

I also have a kumquat tree that I planted. Don't ask me what I was thinking. Dade City, just north of me, has a annual parade where they award the Kumquat Queen. Just imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhYghzNfII

Bit late to this, but have you considered Limoncello? That's a lot of work but it'll blow through a ton of lemon peels.

I like to make lemon curd with my abundance of Meyer lemons. It's such good stuff.

I also freeze the juice in the little ice cube trays, then pop 'em into Foodsaver bags and vacuum-seal them and keep in the freezer. It's nice when there aren't any lemons on the tree to grab a couple cubes of that freshly-frozen juice for recipes or to add to drinks.

We just polished off Frito Pie - chili cheese Fritos, two cans of Dennison's chili, shredded Mexican blend cheese. DANG that stuff is so good! :)

And NO homemade stuff would NOT be better. You gotta get it all out of a can or package of some kind. Well, except the beer. Had a homebrewed Porter with it, which was excellent!

Lots of lemon juice in the marinade for chicken souvlaki. And some in the homemade tzatziki sauce, from homemade yogurt. The red pot is the milk in the oven overnight, gelling into yogurt. The next pic is a cool sieve I have for filter the whey and thickening the yogurt.

Grilled, but it's so hard to get pics once it hits the table and the family gets busy.

_mg_0730-65847.jpg

_mg_0731-65849.jpg

_mg_0741-65851.jpg

_mg_0742-65852.jpg

_mg_0745-65853.jpg

_mg_0749-65854.jpg

Back