What Did I Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brewed my first lager, and we poured one after a week in the bottle, and it's tasty; however, I am not sure what it could be classified as. Receipe as follows:

6.5 gallon

8 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs Munich Light
1/2 lb Caramunich 50L
1/2 lb Aromatic

3oz of Tettnanger (1oz @ 60 min, .67oz @ 30,15 & 5min)

Used Wyeast 2206

I was thinking it was a Mai Bock, but it's a little light in the ABV, and there's too much going on for a Helles
Maybe a lighter Festbier/Marzen?

Normally I wouldn't care, but my assistant brewer (wife) took a sip and said it needs to go to a competition, and she's usually right about the good versus the "meh"

You're right about it maybe looking like a Festbier/Marzen, maybe just a bit heavier on the hops than usual, but that's what I'd go with. Sounds like a really tasty recipe!

Thanks for the input.
The hops are fairly mellow(5% AA), just a nice little "spice" to it. The caramel and toasty notes really dominate (not sure if the double decoction lent that to it or not). All-in-all, I am really pleased no matter what it is.

Back