What did I brew? (My second beer I've made)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgeworth08

Reaction score
So I've just recently started making beer. My Grandpa gave me his wine making equipment and figured why not make some beer as well while this wine ages. I grabbed another fermenting bucket and made a Coopers Canadian Blonde. Unfortunately I followed the instructions with the can before fully reading in to brewing and then got impatient while it was carbonating. Turned out not to bad for my first batch.

Now for my question. I went to the LHBS and grabbed some things to make my own recipe but am not sure what to call it. For the most part I just grabbed things from the selection with some knowledge stuck in my head of the process and what's required to make beer. I'm not sure the style of beer this would be classified as, or if it's some Frankenstein beer that I took from different styles. If you could help me that would be great:

Ingredients -

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1 lbs Light Dry Extract
1.00 oz Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min 13.7 IBUs
1 lbs 3.2 oz Light Dry Extract [Boil for 30 min]
0.50 oz Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min 5.3 IBUs
3 lbs 4.8 oz Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
0.50 oz Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min 2.5 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Syrup [Boil for 10 min]
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

- I steeped the Crystal Malt for 30 minutes at about 150-160 in about 8L of water, being careful not to get it too hot.
- After steeping poured about 1L over grain bag to extract more sugars
- Added 1 lb of light DME, brought to boil then added first hops
- 30 minutes in added 1 lb 3.2 oz of DME and .5 oz of hops
- 45 minutes in added wheat LME
- 50 minutes in added last .5 oz of hops and 1 lb of corn sugar.

After boiling for 60 minutes I chilled in an ice bath, added to fermentor, topped up to about 5 gallons, then added the London Ale III yeast which I had smacked about 2 or more hours ago.

I did this on June 23 and as of now there is still a layer of krausen on top which I've learned since brewing it is attributed to the yeast type. I have sampled it and it tastes good, with almost a sweet banana bread scent to it. The IBU is 41 according to BeerSmith, which is higher than my naive self was expecting.

I am planning(trying) to let it sit until the krausen has dropped back into the beer before I bottle it, although I am excited and slightly impatient to try my first original recipe. I know it takes time it's just so hard to not want to bottle it and drink it right now.

Anyways, if anyone could suggest what style of beer this would be considered that would be great. And while you're at it if you could suggest anything that would help me, from how to write the recipes to suggestions for my recipe that would be appreciated. One final thing I ask is if anybody can tell me if my water is good enough to brew with : http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pag...-quality-report/Water-Quality-Parameters.aspx So far I've used it and haven't had any problems, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I've been reading this forum and many sites for the last couple weeks and even after making this beer I've read many more things to help me but I would like to hear what others can tell me.

Thanks and sorry for the long first post

I'd say it's closest to 6D, American Wheat Ale. (Sorry, there's no BJCP style for Canadian Wheat!)

Based on your recipe, from Brewer's Friend:
Matches styles based on stats only:
Special/Best/Premium Bitter, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Specialty Beer

Back