What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably setting myself for the everlasting hatred of HBT and possible ban (;)) for saying this, but I didn't think the original Voodoo Doughnut was as bad as the hype (the original at least, haven't tried the others). Don't get me wrong, I haven't bought any more since the first time, but I've had worse.

I can't stand a lot of the Experimental or Season beers from Stone. It seems like nothing they are making anymore is under 8.5% alc and it really tastes like it too. Or they go and make a Saison the Stone way and it is too bitter. Their Go-To-IPA in one sip tastes like fresh hops nad the next sip tastes one dimensional and thin. Maybe I've gotten spoiled living near one of their tasting rooms and trying a lot of their new, small batch stuff. I despise their Enjoy By and the Woot Stout with a passion.

Envoy by is inconsistent.. the 10/26 was great.. But the last one was horrible.. I had the one before 10/26 and was on the fence

I have been enjoying denog and shipwrecked lately

++++ Worst beer I ever had. Actually made 2/5 tasters gag at one of our sampling parties.

that makes me wonder if the Voodoo Doughnut was actually carbonated with my pickled egg gas. pickled eggs is the only thing my wife has ever banned me from anything to do with. and for good reason. I had to leave the bathroom in the middle of my shower once because of pickled eggs.

I forgot to mention another SN disappointment - 2012 Bigfoot (can't say whether or not the other recent releases have been the same way). Bigfoot (probably the 2005 release) was my first favorite beer. A big, beautiful barleywine with all the right stuff. I loved it through about 2009, and then, as a result of living in China, missed out on the next several releases.

I finally got some again in 2013, purchased in the summer. It's possible that the four pack I bought in Houston had been mistreated, but the corked and caged 750ml bottle of oaked Bigfoot I bought at the SN brewery in Chico certainly hadn't been, and they all had some weird flavors - not quite booziness but something in the same ballpark, maybe tannins - that just didn't work for me, and they seem to have dried that year's Bigfoot out too much so it was thin and imbalanced. I bought the four-pack to bring back to China as precious, special occasion beers, but I ended up with four bottles of high ABV beer that I felt like I had to struggle through. Such a shame...

Most IPA's - if they could get off the Cascade kick I think many would be better, but these are overdone and I just can't get past the taste that Cascade contributes.

Different topic but if anybody can recommend any IPA's made with Amarillo or Summit that are widely distributed r available in the Upstate NY area that would be great.

Left Hand Wake Up Dead - I don't dump anything, but I dumped between 1/3 - 1/2 bottle of this, waaaayyyyy too sweet, even for a RIS.

Pliny The elder
IMO most people probably like the name more than the beer itself.

Dont get me wrong. Its not bad, but its definately not as good as people rave about it. If it was called "some brewery IPA" it would never get talked about.

Anchor Steam is quite good when fresh. I live close to the brewery and I'm enjoying one as I type this. That said, I understand everyone has their preferences.

By the way, agree about Arrogant Bastard. Great marketing, but a so-so beer IMO.

DFH 90 and 120 min IPA... /shiver
I really like the 60

Anchor Steam beer

Sierra Nevada coffee stout. I buy the variety pack just for the white label IPA and literally dump the stout.

So I went to untappd ...

So the rest of my two star untappd, some of these may just be a badly stored bottle or a skunked line:

Gulpener Bierbrouwerij Ur-Pilsner
Lazy Magnolia Jefferson Stout
Chimay Blanche (Cinq Cents)
Baird Jubilation Ale
Clown Shoes Clementine 1.5 (OTOH, I rather like regular Clementine)
Anchor BigLeaf Maple Autumn Red
Meantime Coffee Porter
McChouffe
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Style Weisse
Brouwerij Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne [probably the best rated by others]
Terrapin Double Feature
The Lost Abbey Agave Maria
French Broad Wee-Heavy-Er Scotch Ale
Evil Twin Justin Blåbær

McChouffe is one of my favorites, though I've only had it in Belgium and Amsterdam.

I'm probably setting myself for the everlasting hatred of HBT and possible ban (;)) for saying this, but I didn't think the original Voodoo Doughnut was as bad as the hype (the original at least, haven't tried the others). Don't get me wrong, I haven't bought any more since the first time, but I've had worse.

I got one Ok sip out of it.

I was able to take 2 more sips before I began gagging on smoke and dumped it. I felt like I'd been camping for 3 days afterwards. Ever time I burped Smoky the bear would show up and throw water on me.

Cool bottle though!

I've sworn off rogue since then. I've read a lot of really negative stuff about the way the treat employees. Plus, I've decided 99% of their beer sucks. I'll give Dead Guy ale a pass.

Put anything by Rogue on my list. I do love PacMan yeast though.

I HAVE A GREAT ONE!

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra... "A burst of Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut, and Kaffir Lime Leaf."

This may be the most foul brew I have ever experienced. It literally has the finish of a sweaty Indian guy whose sweat is yellow from all the curry he eats. It's simply repulsive, and I love Indian food!

for as much as folks had gone on about it, I have yet to see Voodoo Doughnut on the list. maybe I missed it, but I don't think I did.

4 of us were making 3 different chilis the night before a chili cook off, and one of my buddies has a pulled pork chili and just dumps the whole bomber into like, maybe 2 gallons of chili. And then he just passes out on us, and I have to somehow bring this now disgusting chili back to life. It took a crap ton of chili powder and a lot of other **** to somehow make it not taste like fake maple and death.

I HAVE A GREAT ONE!

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra... "A burst of Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut, and Kaffir Lime Leaf."

This may be the most foul brew I have ever experienced. It literally has the finish of a sweaty Indian guy whose sweat is yellow from all the curry he eats. It's simply repulsive, and I love Indian food!

Oh that is a great one. I couldn't stomach that beer at all, it was like someone's armpit and heat

Stone's Crime, and Punishment.

I tried to warn people.....

Why, just why???

Maybe use it to cook something.

Stone's Crime, and Punishment.

I tried to warn people.....
I could image this being nice when served in shot glasses. But...champagne bottles? Who's going to drink all of that in one session?

It seems like DFH has some haters for 120. I remember when 60 came out and it was such a big deal that they went to 90and 120. At some point it is overkill. I could just bite on a hop and get the same taste

It seems like DFH has some haters for 120. I remember when 60 came out and it was such a big deal that they went to 90and 120. At some point it is overkill. I could just bite on a hop and get the same taste

I think DFH 120 is way too sweet. I let it age for at least a year before I drink it.

I like some DFH stuff. I like DFH 60, but for the most part they miss the mark with me. I used to buy a lot of their stuff, but I stopped.

I'm not a big fan of grape must and chai tea in my beer. :D

I feel like DFH would rather make wine.

you're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
geez, I'll make sure my grandma showers tonight.

my gripe isn't with the craft beer, but certain craft beer drinkers.

1) The Expert (a&b) a: They've had 2-3 examples of a popular style (Oktoberfest, IPA, Milk Stout) and try school everyone around them. b: The home brewer version that has brewed any certain style 2-3 times and acts like they have it nailed because "so-and-so likes" 1 out of the 3 versions brewed.

2) The Taster (a&b) a: They can pick out any flavor in any beer at any time. But these are also fun since they are easily swayed with the power of suggestion. b: The home brewer version that can and will taste any and all flaws in everything. Then proceed to tell you in great detail what you did wrong in an arrogant tone. These are not easily swayed by power of suggestion.

3) The Anti-Conformist: They "never did like" whatever style is popular and/or gaining popularity. Closet Hipsters in training.

4) Captain Tastes Like (a&b) a: They prefer all their beers "classic style" because they like their "beer to taste like beer" and will be vocal about it in the liquor store if you're picking up anything with chocolate, spiced, or fruit. b: The home brewer version. The same as "a", but replace liquor store with HBS or home brewing forum and picking up with brewing.

personal taste is one thing, but to be arrogant about yours is what makes you an a-hole. don't be an a-hole with personal taste. this has been a PSA from your local Klubb.

You really nailed me on that one. I also really dislike the Beatles and have since 1964. Where do you want the ammonia?

Holy effing S billy-klubb.

Jesus Christ, I can't stop laughing.
I have a bunch of them up on youtube. you should watch them all and "like" them. hahaha!!!
You really nailed me on that one. I also really dislike the Beatles and have since 1964. Where do you want the ammonia?

I've only hated the Beatles since 1979, but it was early January of '79.

Someone awhile ago mentioned Magic Hat for being *****ecanoes to a local brewery. Funny that: they did the same thing to a Seattle brewery that locally distributes, keg-only. Said brewery (Georgetown) had the temerity to marget a "9lb. Hammer" porter. Which led Magic Hat to send a cease and desist, which both obviously made sense since a porter and fruit beer are identical and wasn't worth the lawyer fight. Hated 'em before, hated them doubly ever since.

Not new, but I feel like a lot of this thread is people unhappy with beers from the other side of the country/world not meeting the "hype" or being what they hoped for/expected. And, as someone said with regards to Pliny: that's the fault of beer drinkers, not (usually) the brewery. Don't drink Green Flash West Coast from the bottle anywhere, let alone the East Coast/Europe. Similarly, don't waste your money on Saison Dupont in bottles in America (go to Belgium and drink the dry-hopped version and cry you don't get it daily).

So, in the spirit of only hating on beers from where I've lived:

Rogue. Nice marketing department, guys. Call me back when you've moved beyond the late 90s/done something interesting/dropped your prices by 30%. Just pick one.

21st Amendment. DIAF.

Someone mentioned Mac and Jack's African Amber. So many good beers in Seattle are not available elsewhere. This is most assuredly not one of them.

Pretty much anything Boulevard does. It's fine, but holy Christ people in Kansas City think Boulevard ****s magic fairy dust.

Every. Single. Brewery. In South Carolina. North Carolina has fabulous beer, but there's now a local craze down here where decent NC taps are being displaced by SC crap. We're talking local-CA-brewpub-circa-1995 quality beer (I move a lot). Westbrook does a phenomenal gose, everything else they brew sucks. Holy City has a great porter, not much else is worth drinking. Brewery 85 and anything out of Columbia are total absolute swill.

Aaaand since we're talking about SC, let's give a shout out to an overly-priced, overly-hyped, and eminently mediocre gypsy brewer: Evil Twin!

tl;dr: I secretly despise nothing!

Someone awhile ago mentioned Magic Hat for being *****ecanoes to a local brewery. Funny that: they did the same thing to a Seattle brewery that locally distributes, keg-only. Said brewery (Georgetown) had the temerity to marget a "9lb. Hammer" porter. Which led Magic Hat to send a cease and desist, which both obviously made sense since a porter and fruit beer are identical and wasn't worth the lawyer fight. Hated 'em before, hated them doubly ever since.

Not new, but I feel like a lot of this thread is people unhappy with beers from the other side of the country/world not meeting the "hype" or being what they hoped for/expected. And, as someone said with regards to Pliny: that's the fault of beer drinkers, not (usually) the brewery. Don't drink Green Flash West Coast from the bottle anywhere, let alone the East Coast/Europe. Similarly, don't waste your money on Saison Dupont in bottles in America (go to Belgium and drink the dry-hopped version and cry you don't get it daily).

So, in the spirit of only hating on beers from where I've lived:

Rogue. Nice marketing department, guys. Call me back when you've moved beyond the late 90s/done something interesting/dropped your prices by 30%. Just pick one.

21st Amendment. DIAF.

Someone mentioned Mac and Jack's African Amber. So many good beers in Seattle are not available elsewhere. This is most assuredly not one of them.

Pretty much anything Boulevard does. It's fine, but holy Christ people in Kansas City think Boulevard ****s magic fairy dust.

Every. Single. Brewery. In South Carolina. North Carolina has fabulous beer, but there's now a local craze down here where decent NC taps are being displaced by SC crap. We're talking local-CA-brewpub-circa-1995 quality beer (I move a lot). Westbrook does a phenomenal gose, everything else they brew sucks. Holy City has a great porter, not much else is worth drinking. Brewery 85 and anything out of Columbia are total absolute swill.

Aaaand since we're talking about SC, let's give a shout out to an overly-priced, overly-hyped, and eminently mediocre gypsy brewer: Evil Twin!

tl;dr: I secretly despise nothing!
we should go set something on fire.

Looks to me like bashing IPAs is getting a bit hip around here. I like IPA. I like most styles. Even sours (in small doses though more than one in a session.. not so much)

Only beer I ever had to pour out and just not drink was a glass of Rogue Old Crustacean. It just tasted salty to me. Maybe it had to do with what I ate/drank before it but could not stand that beer. There have been a few others that I didn't care for but not that I found revolting. At least not things that I considered a beer.

Only beer ive ever had to poor out it was so bad was Dogfish head Palo Santo Marron. Just tasted so bad.

I don't really despise any beer. I'm sure there are a lot of good beers out there, I just have a problem finding them. With all the choices of "craft" beer out there it seems that there are a lot of beers that are just common, with nothing to make them stand out. I very seldom try a new beer anymore preferring to stick with what I know I like. For the most part I end up disappointed.

That being said, I can't drink most of what Leinies makes. The last time I was at their Visitors Center I couldn't use up the tickets for the samples. Sad.

It's pretty funny to see so many beers that I really enjoy listed as "secretly hated", but to each their own.

+1 to anything by Green Flash, tried a few out of the bottle and at 2 GABFs, did not like.

Back