What causes chalkiness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ha

Reaction score
Entered a Kolsch style beer in a contest and when I got the score sheets back both said there was a chalkiness to the beer. The only water additive that I used was 1 camp den tablet in a 12 gal batch. Could that have been what they could taste? What other sorts of things can cause this. I can taste it but I don't know that I have ever been looking for it either. The beer was gone by the time I got the score sheets back.

Kolsch yeast is powdery and can stay in suspension in large quantity. This may be the chalkiness they are referring to. Did you lager it for any length of time to help the yeast drop out?

Possibly your water has significant calcium and alkalinity. If you failed to neutralize the alkalinity for brewing that Kolsch, then the resulting dull flavor could come across as 'chalky'. Water adjustment is critical to many styles, but knowing what is in your water source is the first step to figuring out what that treatment should be.

I used gelatin to clear it and I did lager it for about 4 weeks. I would bet the water chemistry might be the issue. I have tried to look up the water info but I just don't understand what it tells me. I guess I need to get the water book.

Most utilities don't do a water analysis... they do a water report which addresses things like heavy metals, bacteria, etc. The one thing they may be able to tell you is how the water is treated... either with chloramine, or Chlorine. They are treated differently with regard to how those are removed before brewing.

For a water analysis, you should send a sample to Ward Labs. Look them up... totally worth the money, then use a brewing water calculator like this one: http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will get a sample of water and send it away.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will get a sample of water and send it away.

Try calling your water plant first. While the numbers you need aren't generally published for the masses, they are known. It never hurts to ask before shelling out cash to get the same thing.

Try calling your water plant first. While the numbers you need aren't generally published for the masses, they are known. It never hurts to ask before shelling out cash to get the same thing.

+1 on this. My water utility not only provides water analysis, but has an additional report for brewers that includes the average ground water temp by month, and provided the phone number to the person who knows what alternate water sources they are drawing from on any given day so you can know if you need to make further adjustments.

Latest posts

Back