What can I use old kegs for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deleted

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of random stuff and the guy gave me a half keg and a full keg with a tap and co2 tank. What can I do with this?

I am wanting to keg but guessing I have to get ball lock kegs to do this with?

Matt

I think there are those who use sankey kegs for homebrew, also maybe conversion kits.
But I suspect that if it is commercial beer, the kegs belong to a beer distributor.

I believe it’s commercial beer kegs yes... I have seen people mod these for brewing kettles but was hoping there was something to use for actual kegging... by belong to do you mean I am not supposed to modify them?

I have not owned any. There are kegs legally in private hands of course, keggles are made from them by cutting the tops. But when someone goes to a beer distributor and pays a $25 dollar deposit, they have no rights to the keg after using it. Do they have any markings or stickers on them? If so, and you return them, you may collect the deposit and spend it on brewing gear. I have a wooden beer keg from Ruppert's long defunct brewery, there is no one to return it to. Some of my corny kegs are marked as property of some distributor or other, but they are decades old, and no one uses steel soda kegs for soda anymore. I would just check any markings and do an internet search for my own peace of mind.

I use a few half kegs as my primary and secondary fermenter. Gravity fed from the keg fermenter to my corny kegs. They work great and allow me to brew and ferment 10 gal batches.

I use a slim quarter commercial keg for my main tap since I can easily go through 7.75 gal in a month. If you want to use them there are some videos you can search for that show how to take out the retaining ring to clean/fill. just remember to release pressure before taking the ring out... don't want the spear to hit you in the face or get wedged in the ceiling.

Lol I’d have to see what that looks like

IMG_2255.JPG

If its a slim keg you can use it for homebrew as they're 5 gallons. A normal keg (1/2) barrell is 15 gallons. Youll burn through way to much co2 filling the empty space to make it worthwhile.

You can get sanke keg tapping and carbonating gear that fit these. My 3 vessel rig is all made of half kegs (keggles, 15.5 gallon). There are quarter kegs that are 7.75 gallons that would be fine for homebrew distribution , if you have the tapping rig and it fits your fridge. The 5 gallon C kegs fit better in most home brewers' dispensing systems though.

Back