What can i expect with lower final volumes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbt

Reaction score
I have an irish red ale kit from midwest supplies that came with my brewing equipment. I currently only have one fermenter bucket, that is full, (another on the way) but wanted to go ahead and brew this kit to get it going as well. What can i expect if i only bring my final volume up to 4-4.5 gallons total to fit it in the 5 gal carboys i have? I guess my question is what would the results be of having a total final volume of 4 gallons versus 5 gallons using a 5 gallon kit/recipe?

Higher OG. You could avoid the lower volume by using a blow-off tube though.

Higher gravity and stronger beer. It'll work though, just make sure to add enough yeast and aerate/oxygenate well.

I have an irish red ale kit from midwest supplies that came with my brewing equipment. I currently only have one fermenter bucket, that is full, (another on the way) but wanted to go ahead and brew this kit to get it going as well. What can i expect if i only bring my final volume up to 4-4.5 gallons total to fit it in the 5 gal carboys i have? I guess my question is what would the results be of having a total final volume of 4 gallons versus 5 gallons using a 5 gallon kit/recipe?

You'll get a delicious beer. I would mind the Krausen, tho.

The basic equation is Density (gravity) = Mass(total sugar) / Volume (gallons).

My understanding of it is:

Whatever your OG is, the reading is in points per gallon. So for a 1.050 OG, you've got 50 points of sugar for each gallon of wort. Over a 5 gallon batch, your total points are 250. So to estimate your OG with your new volume, you'd take 250 and divide by four, or 1.062.

So take the stated OG in the kit, multiple it by 5, then divide that number by four and that will be your new OG.

Kinda what i was thinking. And hoping. The kit seems to be a fairly low/med gravity anyway and I was going to try to kick it up a notch anyway. Sounds like a good way to do so. It came with the t-58 dry yest packet as well as a Munton active brewing yeast packet. Thoughts on the Muntons?

Back