What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as a general comment, if you buy European malts and to a lesser extent hops, then it's a good idea to lay in some generous stocks in the next couple of months, as the price rises down the line are going to be huge - like 50+%, I've seen commercial brewers complaining that it's like them paying retail prices!

Makes sense as grain prices are up a lot but malt also uses a lot of energy in roasting/drying, and gas prices on the Continent in particular have gone crazy due to recent events.
I was thinking about this. I bought a couple 50 lb sacks and for what I brew I have enough for the rest of the year.

Far as any food shortages, what else is barley really used for besides beer? Beef and barley soup? And hops don’t have much other use. I can’t really see any food demand pulling barley away from breweries. It may get more expensive but should still be available.

Now wheat is something else. Wheat beers may get fewer, harder to find, and much more expensive if there’s a shortage because wheat has so many other uses.

Is it time for @bracconiere to write us a malting sticky?

i can see it now "it puts the barley in the water".....

edit: what i mean is i'd have to show someone how i do it, that knows how to type intelegibly, and isn't crazy....

oh i got my flare SS picnic taps yesterday!

edit 2: really it'd be same as hair washing, lather, rinse repeat....air dry, use a curler to put some flavor to it, then comb....

Last edited:
Not in the mail, but I bought this T-shirt at Thirsty Souls Community Brewing in Mt. Airy (Mayberry), NC when I was on vacation. I wanted a logo glass but they wouldn’t sell me one, so I settled for this.
47DDB11E-D90D-4460-BE2F-1C834AA3D8EF.jpeg

Far as any food shortages, what else is barley really used for besides beer? ....

Now wheat is something else. Wheat beers may get fewer, harder to find, and much more expensive if there’s a shortage because wheat has so many other uses.

Beer is a minority use for barley - about 2/3 of it goes into animal feed, but (in the UK at least), that is only a third of the amount of wheat that goes into animal feed.

So higher wheat prices will have knock-on effects, as it will be replaced by barley in animal feed, which increases the demand and price of feed barley. And more generally, higher wheat and oil prices will encourage farmers to plant more wheat and oilseeds and less barley.

As I think I said earlier here, barley is probably not even the biggest cost for maltsters compared to energy. Gas prices in Europe have gone up massively, they're currently about 3-4 times the gas price in the US.

Dang. I guess the third requirement knocked me out :confused:

i mean if i was talking about malting i'd have to at least mention "The Mighty InBev" ....well, anyway...all that and mass mind control...

But on a more serious note i'm getting my hemocytometer today sometime! should be fun to play with!

And that gives me a great idea for a 'new improved' tilt hydro! if this microscope only cost $15 and does 400x, what about live stream video of the yeast cells in the ferment for people that don't have glass or clear carboys? 🤔

edit: maybe real time cell counting?... 🤣

Last edited:
i mean if i was talking about malting i'd have to at least mention "The Mighty InBev" ....well, anyway...all that and mass mind control...

But on a more serious note i'm getting my hemocytometer today sometime! should be fun to play with!

And that gives me a great idea for a 'new improved' tilt hydro! if this microscope only cost $15 and does 400x, what about live stream video of the yeast cells in the ferment for people that don't have glass or clear carboys? 🤔

edit: maybe real time cell counting?... 🤣
You lost me at InBev !

Beer is a minority use for barley - about 2/3 of it goes into animal feed, but (in the UK at least), that is only a third of the amount of wheat that goes into animal feed.

So higher wheat prices will have knock-on effects, as it will be replaced by barley in animal feed, which increases the demand and price of feed barley. And more generally, higher wheat and oil prices will encourage farmers to plant more wheat and oilseeds and less barley.

As I think I said earlier here, barley is probably not even the biggest cost for maltsters compared to energy. Gas prices in Europe have gone up massively, they're currently about 3-4 times the gas price in the US.
I forgot about animal feed. Right.

Awesome and congrats. But no that's not too many clamps. You're gonna add a bunch of attachments they will be needed for. You're gonna love it.

I like that @BrewMan13 , I've been using bubble wrap but that looks cooler.

Of course they will work perfectly for sixtels also.
Yeah, I bring kegs to places fairly often, so it was about time I got something like this. Throw some ice in and should be good for a couple days based on reviews I read.

Does it have a carrying strap on it also? Those really are cool. I wish I had invented that. I think everyone should have one or more of those. Beats the hell out of bubble wrap.View attachment 771763
Yeah, it's got a strap. The reviews said it's kinda weak, so we'll see. Not a major feature for my purposes regardless.

I know. Nothing I can do about it. At least the local welding place has pretty clean tank swaps.
@Beerstein you will need to find a HBS or welding supply to refill it. Most only swap them out. Then your pretty new tank ends up going to someone else. And you come home with an old ugly banged up tank.

In fact the local welding place didn't have enough ten pound tanks to even let me pay the money. The guy upsold me in the "idea" of a 20 pound tank :)

Hops!!! Lots of hopses....oh my preciouses....ok I'll stop now. 1lb each of Citra, Mosaic, Sabro, and CTZ from YVH. Ordered Sunday, got here today via usually unreliable Fedex, very impressed. And of COURSE a new sticker! I think I have 15-16 on my ferment fridge now, just from YVH. I sometimes get more excited about the stickers than I do the hops.

Awesome and congrats. But no that's not too many clamps. You're gonna add a bunch of attachments they will be needed for. You're gonna love it.

No such thing as overdoing the TCs.

Thanks. My concern was not having enough TCs on brew day. I'm sure once I figure out my process I'll know the number of TCs needed. Better to be prepared.

Thanks. My concern was not having enough TCs on brew day. I'm sure once I figure out my process I'll know the number of TCs needed. Better to be prepared.

I've always found that I never have enough clamps and gaskets. Always have extra gaskets too. Oh and TC end caps!

I had soaked half my Fermonster with PBW to get some crud off and it left a film on the inside. I can only reach in the neck up to my forearm so I cannot reach the layer of film on the inside. Tried rinsing with Starsan and Iodophor with no avail.

This is a soft sponge, no abrasive pad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009J4Y9A?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Its not much, but it is something.

Back