What breweries have you toured/visited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Lakes
Sam Adams
Willoughby Brewing Co.

Sam Adams was easily the best since they provided the most free beer

Surly - Brooklyn Center, MN
Fitgers Brewhouse - Duluth, MN (writeup)
Town Hall Brewery - Minneapolis, MN (writeup)

Hoping to take the Harley to Colorado this summer and tour some breweries there!

Airborneguy said:
Why don't brewpubs count? Some of the best beers I've ever had were at brewpubs.

I have all my brewery/brewpub/distillery/winery trips plotted on my Google Earth. I've been to 57 as of last week's trip to Vermont. I don't really tour them anymore because they're all pretty much the same. All I care about now is tasting the beer!

I agree that brewpubs have great beer, but I wanna know where you've actually toured. Some of brewpubs don't even brew their beer on the premises, ie both dogfish heads in VA. But the caveat was that if u were given a tour of their operations, it counts

Miller- Milwaukee, WI
Sprecher- Milwaukee, WI
Lakefront- Milwaukee, WI <<---- they have an awesome fish fry and Friday night 'brewery tour'. I spent many a Friday night there when I was an undergrad
Two Brothers- Warrenville, IL
Yazoo- Nashville, TN

Williamsburg Alewerks, Williamsburg, VA
Flying Dog, Frederick, MD
Thomas Creek, SC
Troegs, PA
Lancaster, PA
Victory, PA
Stoudt, PA

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I've missed some:

Heineken, Amsterdam
De Molen, Bodegraven
De Schans, Uithoorn
Maasland, Oss
Scheldebrouwerij, Zeeland
Shipstones, Nottingham
Courage, Newark
Westcrown, Newark
Bateman, Wainfleet
Sam Smiths, Tadcaster
Fullers, London
Kernel, London
Lees, Manchester
Budvar, Ceskr Budejovice
Pilsner, Urquell Pilsen (absolutely rubbish tour)
Drei Kronen, Heiligenstdt
Brauerei Will, Schederndorf
Hofmann, Hohenschwärz
Bayreuther Bierbrauerei, Bayreuth
Schneider, Kelheim
Josef Schneider, Essing.
Devil's Backbone, Virginia
Cambridge Brewing, Cambridge

The new New Glarus Brewery is really nice. It sits on a bluff overlooking the town. I recommend it. Also, go into town and have some cheese fondue and schnitzle. Really good there.

FWIW, there are some brewpubs where you can get more out of looking through the glass than you get in the tours of some production facilities...

In no particular order I've done these:

Houston:
No Label
St. Arnolds

Austin:
Thirsty Planet
Independence
Jester King

Fort Worth:
Rahr & Sons

Blanco:
Real Ale

And the kicker! Longmont, CO
Left Hand (I didn't tour, but got to chat with one of the owners over their Peaotch, Octoberfest, Fade to Black, and Nirto Milk Stout (all damn good beer)

New Belgium
Dry Dock
Grimm Brothers
Big Beaver

I need to get back up to Boulder and Ft. Collins and hit up Odell and Avery.

Asheville Brewing Co
Highland Brewery
Kona Brewing
Foothills Brewing
Smokey Mtn Brewery
Natty Greens
Oyster House Brewing @ The Lobster Trap (a Sabco behind the Bar) The smallest brewery in Asheville!

Breckenridge Brewery (Breckenridge, CO)
Dogfish Head (Milton, DE)
Boulevard (Kansas City, MO)
Harpoon (Boston, MA)
Hopworks (Portland, OR)
Annheuser-Busch (St. Louis, MO) - In my defense, I was a kid and this was part of a family trip to St. Louis!

I've visited,
Rogue Brewing in Newport, OR
Coors in Golden, CO
New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO
Bluegrass Brewing Co. (BBC), in Louisville, KY

New Belgium was the most interesting and state of the art. I highly recommend their tour.

Rogue was awesome too; when I visited the brewery was located along the bay and had a nice bar made of recycled wood on the second level offering nice views of the bay on one side and and the brewery production on the other side. Also, across the bay they have public house that is aslo a two room B&B, how convenient!!

Anheuser Busch, St. Louis, MO
Dunedin Brewery, Dunedin, FL
Yuengling Brewery, Tampa, FL
Southern Tier, Lakewood, NY
Flying Bison, Buffalo, NY
Cigar City, Ybor City, FL

Of these, I think the most memorable was Flying Bison, as it really was a small batch community brewery. Tim Herzog, the owner, took us on the tour himself and was very accomodating in a way your average tour guide just could never be. Their Rusty Chain brew is excellent.

Of the list, Southern Tier was definitely the most impressive (besides the pure scale of AB). The Southern Tier brewery is all state of the art, and they obviously spared no expense whatsoever in putting the place together. Definitely the coolest tasting room I've ever been to as well. My favorite of theirs is the Farmer's Tan, which goes great with their Pulled Pork sandwitches from the tasting room.

Anyone in Western NY should definitely check out these two!

Cigar City definitely produces the best beer of them all. They operate out of a relatively small warehouse in the ghetto. You'd never know it was there if you didn't have directions. They make world-class craft brew, so I'm sure as they expand they'll move it on up to a better facility. They are very experimental and everything they put out is unique and great. They are the Dogfish Head of the South. They are also very supportive of local home brew clubs, putting on lots of club-only events and always inviting us to their exclusive events. Definitely support these guys if you run into one of their brews.

I visited Loe's Brewing Co. (Hickory, NC) over the weekend. It was this awesome little nanobrewery place, basically a glorified homebrew setup.

Star Hill, Devils Backbone and Blue Mountain right around Waynesboro, Va
Flying Dog this week and Heavy Seas first week in March :mug:

Flying dog is a great tour, you get several additional samples throughout the tour and it's a pretty big facility.

Heavy seas is actually pretty small considering how much beer they actually produce, and the tour isn't as good as flying dog, but none the less, very enjoyable. If you get a tour with the founder, Hugh, he's much better than the drunk lady in the cowboy hat.

Here's a tip.....at Heavy Seas, get there a little early, be one of the first at the bar and tip the GUY bartender well...and he'll remember that. If you tip him well, he'll just hand u ur beer an u walk away w/o having to spend a token and u can get 3 or 4 freebees. The same is not true for Flying Dog; I tipped the girl a 20 and didn't get 1 drop extra w/o burning a token. But being able to buy a growler kinda makes up for that....cuz u can stay there as long as you want and pound it out if u want to.

Let's see...

Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn, NY)
Hooker Brewery (Bloomfield, CT)
Captain Lawrence (Pleasantville, NY)
Harpoon (Boston, MA)
Sam Adams (Boston, MA)

This summer I'm hitting Omegang...

Sweetwater - Atlanta, GA
Redbrick - Atlanta, GA
Jailhouse - Hampton, GA
Pensacola Bay Brewery - Pensacola, FL
Jack Daniel's - Lynchburg, TN