What BJCP category for wood-aged Wheatwine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Dog

Reaction score
I brewed a wheatwine that I aged with oak cubes that I'd like to enter in a local competition. I'm wondering which category to enter it in. The competition is using the 2008 BJCP style guide which doesn't recognize wheatwine as a style (in the 2014 draft it is 22D).

If it wasn't oak-aged, I would probably enter it in category 23. The oak is noticeable. I'm wondering if I can enter it in category 22C (Wood-aged beer), which states: "Specialty or experimental base beer styles may be specified, as long as the other specialty ingredients are identified."

Should I enter it in 22C as "Wheatwine aged with oak cubes, 50% wheat malt as base"?

I'd like to avoid category 23 if possible because I have another beer I'd like to enter in there.

I think it absolutely qualifies as 22C- the oak is present and wheatwine is definitely a specialty/experimental base beer. You're good to go.

Sounds like a good fit in 22C to me. I wouldn't bother specifying the wheat percentage. May cause the judges to look for more wheat than might actually be there (unless it's pungently wheaty or something, in which case they might say it's too much). As long as wheat is a prominent character, I'd think judges can figure out what a wheatwine means.

As long as wheat is a prominent character, I'd think judges can figure out what a wheatwine means.

You'd be surprised. Wheatwines don't scream "wheat!" because typically, you are more focused on the characteristics of a big beer - fruitiness, bitter, sweet. The wheat ends up being most noticeable as a mouthfeel element.

Latest posts

Back