What beer made from 5,000-year-old yeast tastes like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how they can be sure that it is the genuine beer yeast from the pot and not a more recent environmental contaminant from the site?

I wonder how they can be sure that it is the genuine beer yeast from the pot and not a more recent environmental contaminant from the site?

The yeast might have been contained inside the pottery somehow, just a guess. But yea, it's probably just a stunt to help with funding somehow. Anyway, drinking those gushers right from the bottle is a big fail from where I'm sitting, but the public is probably loving it.

They show a centrifuge, presumably to settle the yeast in those tubes

If you're talking about 0:58 on the video, that's not a centrifuge but a controlled temperature shaker-incubator for growing yeast.

As for contamination - yes it's always a problem, but it is manageable with care and the right facilities. But all yeast is 5000 years old if you think about it, it's just come to us from 5000 years ago via different routes...

Back