What beer am I looking for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p38a

Reaction score
I want to start a brew in the next few weeks to be ready for the winter months. I'm looking for something with some heft and sweetness but I don't like anything too hoppy. I'd like something with a high ABV content that is dark yet with a certain crispness to it. Any thoughts on what style of brew would fit this?
I'm wondering if a wee heavy or barley wine fits this description. I don't want anything too syrupy if you know what I mean.

Or an export stout. Also farm stouts and milk stouts will meet the stated parameters.

Baltic Porter if you can lager, but time is short for that one.

Well, I like the German darks as well... But they tend to be lagered to some degree... Altbier, Schwarz bier, Dunkel and the like... malt w/lil hop taste... As a noob I have no way to lager, but when the right Craigslist/freecycle fridge comes along, I'll be in business...

It sounds like a bock to me. Can you lager? If not, maybe a bock recipe with a cool (60 degree) fermentation with nottingham could work.

I think barley wines are good, but can be very syrupy and "heavy", not crisp like you described. Same with wee heavy.

Along the same lines, you could brew a Baltic Porter and ferment it cool using US-05. A long period in the primary, 6 weeks or so, and 2 or 3 months in the bottle should result in a good winter warmer. If you want it drier (less syrupy), add some molasses to it. The added sugar will ferment out, up the ABV, and the flavor will add another layer to the complexity.

I decided a couple days ago that I wanted to do the same thing, but I also wanted to try one of Jamil's recipes. The two I were looking at were the Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (you can find the recipe to that here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/tr...-kit-jamils-chocolate-hazelnut-porter-127746/) and the Winter Spiced Ale (recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/doing-partial-boil-lot-malt-extract-127888/). I personally decided on the Spiced Ale, because I'm going to try to make a spice profile similar to my grandmother's gingerbread man recipe.

Would suggest an Old Ale, Foreign Stout, Scottish Export. Since you're shooting for higher OG, aim to age as long as possible before drinking. The longer the smoother. Whenever possible, I try to set aside a 12 rack or more for aging till following year. I have an Old Ale brewed in Oct '08 which I'm planning on serving this winter.

"12 rack" or, in other words, 2 six packs--New England lexicon I suppose. Personally I don't use 02 absorbing caps or vacuum seal with my bottles. Just brown bottles, standard caps and cool dark cellar. Haven't had any quality issues yet.

Hey guys, thanks for all the options! I've got some reading to do tonight and some lagering research.

Latest posts

Back