What are you making this wine season?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinman2012

Reaction score
I'll start -
I'm sourcing a little over a half ton of grapes and plan on making:
Cabernet Sauvignon (169 Clone from Suisun Valley)
Merlot - (181 Clone from Iron Oaks)
Syrah - (Suisun Valley)
Cab Franc (Paso Robles)

I'm really tossing around the idea of making a getting Nebbiolo grapes and making a Barolo wine as well.

I'm making 2 gallons of red muscadine wine from vines I planted 4 years ago. I'm planting 2 more vines this fall and hope to double or triple my wine production in the coming years. I'm still a newby (only my second year of wine making) but I've learned a lot on this site.

A half ton sounds like a lot, but it will give me approx 70 gallons, plus approx 25 - 30 gallons of 2nd run.
I used to make 6 gallon batches, this would give me about 2.5 cases, but once you start bringing a bottle or two to a party, or opening a few bottles a week with dinner, it didn't last very long, especially after aging the wine for a year to a year and a half in barrels.
Now the smallest batch I'll make is 7 lugs, this makes 17.5 gallons, enough to fill a 50 liter barrel and have plenty for topping off.
The 2nd run allows me to have a decent wine a little sooner.

I've been stocking up for winter winemaking to stave off the cabin fever.

Niagra/raisin with a concord seconds wine, concord pyment port, lots of strawberry, probably more blueberry, and I have about 3 gallons of honey left for mead.

Just started a cherry and a black braggot, about to bottle some chardonnay and pinot noir for holiday gifts.

I don't have room to increase my production much beyond my current 2 gallons a year (nor do I have the muscadine production yet). But I'll soon be an empty nester. May turn the spare bath and bedroom into my personal winery.

Mostly kits for me.
Bottled so far, Island Mist pomegranate zinfandel, WE moscato, both 6 gallon batches, 4 master vintner 1 gallon batches, chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir and merlot.
Clearing and bottling soon, WE pink moscato and WE Argentine malbec (just racked the malbec today) Secondary I have 5 gallons of skeeter pee and 2 1 gallon batches of concord grape wine (1 from Welches 100% concord juice and 1 from R.W Knudsen simply concord juice)
Starting in the next few days I have a WE special chocolate rasberry dessert wine.
I stiil want to do a dragons blood and a tea wine before the year is out.

Plum, bilberry, strawberry & cherry wines, dried fig melomel, huckleberry melomel, Tupelo mead, buckwheat mead, crabapple cider, various graff's. As soon as temps drop a bit more (2 weeks maybe?) Fermentation season will start for me.
Regards, GF.

I'll be attempting a chokecherry wine this winter. I've only got about 12lb of choke cherries though so I don't think it'll be a full 5gallons.

In the southern hemisphere the season has already finished. I made 95 litres of shiraz and 25 litres of sauvignon blanc, which I have already started drinking. The red wine takes at least 15 months to be drinkable, I am presently drinking the 2013 shiraz.
I have my own small vineyard, this week I was pruning for next season's harvest.

I'll start -
I'm sourcing a little over a half ton of grapes
We can't really get any good grapes at all here unless you grow your own. A homebrew shop 3 hrs away brings in truckloads from California/Washington but that's a lot of trouble and I wonder about the quality of grapes they ship east. Where are you getting those grapes, I see you are in NY?
A local orchard has a few rows of grapes, but he had a bad freeze 2 years ago and the vines haven't recovered. I picked 2 buckets of Marchal Foch which came in at 27 brix, his seyval blanc had more yellow jackets than grape clusters in the row. I separately bought a 6 gallon bucket of California Reisling juice.
We've got lots of orchards around here so I mostly do cider, about 40 gallons a year.
A couple of questions for pumkinman: How much do you have to pay for grapes ? Also, I've tried to make second run wine before, but it came out terrible, how do you do it?

Last edited:
Some of those wines sound amazing!! I just have 5 gallons of blueberry and 5 gallons of a mixed berry (pomegranate, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry) it smells delicious :)

madscientist451 -
I get my grapes usually from Washington state and California through M&M Wine Grape Co. in Hartford CT, they carry some of the best grapes that I've seen, but it helps that they have very strict rules for how the fruit is packed and shipped, I haven't been disappointed yet! You can visit their website at www.juicegrape.com. We also get some white grapes locally, such as Seyval Blanc and Catawba from a local winery that not has their own vineyards, they also manage vineyards for others, these are the nicest people that you could meet, the head winemaker\Gen Mgr is very forthcoming with anything that you could want to know, if you're ever up this way, Poughkeepsie, NY check them out at Benmarl winery.

I make cider as well, I made 18 gallons last fall, it didn't last long...lol
As far as a second run, the rule of thumb is that if you made 20 gallons (I'll use 20 gallons as a reference) of wine from the grapes you can make 50% of that 2nd run, or 10 gallons after pressing. I've found that if reduce that to 5 gallons you get a much better, richer wine that is usually much better than the light rose' type wine you'll get from make the whole 50%.

I've made it two ways, you can either use juice buckets and add the grapes, test for PH and TA and adjust, or the way I prefer is that I'll use acidulated water (water with tartaric added), and add can sugar until I reach 1.090, add the pressed grape skins and it will start fermenting, you'll still have to punch the cap down until it has fermented to dry, but you won't have to add yeast because the skins still have yeast on them.
I age the 2nd run just like my other wines, I barrel age it as long as one of the barrels is about to be racked, it tends to be ready a little sooner.

I hope that this helps.

Back