What are you doing with your unused priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Since I started kegging, I've been holding on to the priming sugar packets that come in the ingredient kits that I order. I don't foresee myself bottling again anytime soon so I'm wondering how I could make this sugar useful. Does anyone use them to boost ABV of their beer?

Use it to keg condition your beers. Use a out .75 oz per gal. Seal the keg w / CO2 & store at room temp about 1@ days. Cold crash 48 hours then serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Go to the grocery store and buy 5 jugs of either apple juice or grape juice. Pour your choice into a bucket, add 5 of your sugar packets, two packs of (yes) bakers yeast and stick an air lock on it. In two weeks, cold crash it. Stir in a couple more cups of sugar and keg it!

Go to the grocery store and buy 5 jugs of either apple juice or grape juice. Pour your choice into a bucket, add 5 of your sugar packets, two packs of (yes) bakers yeast and stick an air lock on it. In two weeks, cold crash it. Stir in a couple more cups of sugar and keg it!

Why? Curious what this tastes like? Hard cider or wine?

Its funny that you mention that. I just kegging my first hard apple cider. I had to splash rack it a few times to get rid of the super strong sulfur taste. I fermented 4 jugs and then back sweetened it with 1 jug. The keg is now sitting in the fridge to prevent those champagne yeast from eating through the 5th jug's sugar.

Why? Curious what this tastes like? Hard cider or wine?

I just did the grape juice experiment and let me tell you it is GREAT. It was mainly for the wife....to get her involved. She is loving it very much. I made her decide on how much sugar to sweeten with. Started with just a cup and I shook the heck out of it. She tasted, added a little more until it got to where she liked it. I just started a apple juice test yesterday. Find out in a few weeks what it will be like.

urg8rb8 said:
Its funny that you mention that. I just kegging my first hard apple cider. I had to splash rack it a few times to get rid of the super strong sulfur taste. I fermented 4 jugs and then back sweetened it with 1 jug. The keg is now sitting in the fridge to prevent those champagne yeast from eating through the 5th jug's sugar.

I hope I don't end up with that taste, but it will be good to know that it doesn't take much to get rid of.

I just did the grape juice experiment and let me tell you it is GREAT. It was mainly for the wife....to get her involved. She is loving it very much. I made her decide on how much sugar to sweeten with. Started with just a cup and I shook the heck out of it. She tasted, added a little more until it got to where she liked it. I just started a apple juice test yesterday. Find out in a few weeks what it will be like.

I love it, great idea. Let us know how the apple juice tastes. My parents made wine by adding yeast to grapejuice. They put it in a big glass jar with a balloon on top so they could tell when it was done. Always wanted to try it but never have. I think you've inspired me to try it now.

Apfelwein. Its corn sugar, or dextrose. 2 lbs plus 5 gallons of apple juice with montrachet wine yeast for 6 weeks at room temp = delicious.

An alcohol boost to a regular brew.

Making wheaties into frosted flakes.

I wouldnt use it for starters as supposedly it gets the yeast used to simple sugars and does not give them the nutrition like a weak wort will for cell health.

Back