What about the water???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaper79

Reaction score
hey guys i come to you completely confused when it comes to the water to use. My first brew i used distilled water and now no that was a bad idea and the second i just used tap water and didnt boil or screen it. Im wondering whats the best way to get brew quality water with the least amount of effort. Let me know what you guys think i should do to get the best water possible.

from what i have learned distilled water doesnt have the needed minerals to make for a good brew. The water is to soft. this may or may not be true but it is what i have come to understand?

anybody else know

reaper79 said:
from what i have learned distilled water doesnt have the needed minerals to make for a good brew. The water is to soft. this may or may not be true but it is what i have come to understand?

anybody else know

You got it:rockin:

As far as what water to use, +1 if it tastes good, its fine to brew. Also water quality is less important if you are doing extract. It becomes MUCH more important with AG.

It is nutrientless but there is enough nutrients in malt anyway. It's more a flavor/mouth feel thing for most brews.

Distilled is different than RO water. RO water should still have some nutrients in it.

Softer water is better for lighter styles like Pilsner and wheat beers where hard water is better for dark beers like stouts.

It also depends on extract v. all grain. Extract is concentrated wort. It therefore also has all the minerals in it that the extract producer boiled down. That means its OK to use RO/deionized/distilled water with extract. May even actutally be better. If you were going to mashing, however, these varieties of water might not fly.

There's research out there that basically states that the nutrient issue is really a non issue with beer (as far as ability to mash/ferment - taste is another issue), AG or not. That said, RO does contain enough to be considered soft water but not "pure" water. (Pure meaning 100% H2O not minerals). That said, distilled shoud IMO have brewing salts added.

If you are worried about water due to it being to hard then try blending your hard tap water with distilled or even RO water.

If it's a "my water tastes like skunk s.hit" situation, then try RO and maybe add some salts to it or start using a water filter. (Filtration options depend on what you need to remove though).

I would never brew an all grain batch with distilled water - it'll wreak havoc with the mash.

I used to think that distilled water should be avoided at all costs in all nearly all brewing applications. However, for the same reasons that clay states above, I wouldn't be afraid to try it with an extract batch - particularly one that would traditionally be brewed with very soft water (like a kolsch or pilsner).

wow thanks for all the answers guys. So my next question then would be what is Ro water and about ag brewing. I have all the equipment to do ag brew i just wanted to start with extracts to get the feel of brewing and technique down. When i start ag brewing is tap ok then or is there a better water that can be had?

Back