What a brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
I was brewing Norther Brewer's Moose Drool clone (Caribou Slobber) and had quite the day. It went pretty smoothly outside with my propane burner and new big 10 gal pot, but I ended up running back and forth when it came time to cool it and get it into the fermenter.

The main "problem":
I have to put a tshirt around my better bottle because my fridge is temperature controlled with a heating lamp inside which turns on when it gets too cold and since I don't want light hitting it, I put a tshirt around it. Well, I put my starsan in before I start brewing to start doing its thing (about 1/4-1/2 gal) and completely forgot about it. Sure enough, I racked my cooled wort right ontop of it. I didn't realize it until I heard it foaming like crazy after I had already put about a gallon in. By that time I couldn't do anything about it so just continued pouring. There was a TON of foam, but other than that, things should be OK right? I just need to relax, don't worry and have a homebrew?

Was the Star San properly diluted with water or was it a straight 1/4 - 1/2 gallon of Star San? If already diluted I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Thats a lot. It will probably impact some of the flavors in the beer b/c it could be up to 20% of your volume in the fermenter. At least you know it wont get infected......

If it was me I would have sacrificed the gallon of wort you put in there instead of the whole 5. Oh well, chalk it up to experience.

PS Go Gators! I was in G-ville for 3 years for undergrad and now our "brewery" is called Rowdy Reptile Brewing.

Back