What’s wrong with my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is how my two hartwicks look.
I tore out all the really bad bines down to the root and left the good ones but now the biggest good one is starting to discolor.

We did get a lot of rain the last week and some of the roots have popped out of the ground so i added more soil to the raised bed.
i was wondering if it was just too much water?

Attachments

• hops_bad.jpg
    hops_bad.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Very tough to diagnose problems like this from a distance but do a search for downy mildew (and images). Those light spots look like the plants initial response to some spores splashed up to the underside of the leaves. One of the most common diagnostic symptoms is the growing tip being stunted (compressed) with downward curling leaves. Here is a link to some good info : Downy mildew in Ontario hops

looking at the lowest leaves, they are starting to get some black on the underside and i found a weed with some powder on the leaves.
what are my options?
I've read spray with hydrogen peroxide mixture.
i can just cut them all down again also and see what comes up.
these are 4th yr hops. i'd hate to have to tear them out.

I just started growing hops so, i cant say this tonic will work, but I use it on my tomatoes for fungus, 1 Tbl spoon baking soda, little dishsoap to make it stick to gallon of water. Spray on. Just once a week, it will burn the plant if you use it to much.

Also some old milk or powdered milk to a gallon helps with fungus believe it or not, but may attract critters.

Get rid of all the shoots with the problematic leaves. Generally, if you can grasp them near the base and pull with an even and steady grip, you can usually get them to dislodge right where they come off the crown. At this point, I would do a very thorough spray with the peroxide vinegar concoction listed in this forum from a few years ago. This should fry any spores in the immediate area. Now just let some new shoots come up and train them. If the disease is systemic, you may have to remove the plant as most , if not all, the new growth may be infected - it's not really a black and white issue as you have to know what you're looking for so you can take action to nip these situations in the bud. There's tons of resources out there.

I didn't have any vinegar so i went with the peroxide and baking soda spritze last night after tearing all but one bine out.
the one not infected.
this morning it had some leaves with black on the bottom so i yanked that one also.
when i pull them they are usually attached to extensions from the crown so i pull that also.

I've got more shoots coming out away from the crown so I'll just wait and see how those do before getting the vinegar.
we haven't even really hit the hot weather yet so i didn't have a lot of long bines except hollow bull shoots and the rest were short and there was a lot of them.

I see now i should of been thinning them out the last month with all the rain we have gotten.

Back