Weyermann Pale Wheat vs. Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Wanted to check to see if anyone has any experience with Weyermann floor malted bohemian wheat versus Weyermann pale wheat. I'm making a pretty traditional hefeweizen and usually use the pale wheat. I came across the floor malted variety and it peaked my curiosity.

Interested in this as well.
My local shop carries some Weyermann malts and they can special order from distributors for customers. If you guys are doing a certain method or process using malts/grains for German or Continental styles, I'd be interested in catching some insight on that, and why you chose a certain wheat grain. :)
I've gotten to using Belgian Pilsner as a go-to base malt for my beers and wheat is another of my indispensable ingredients, too.

I brew 1-gallon batches - I plan to order 4 pounds of this and use it for:

1. A batch of "Winter Wheat" - I'll post some details when I get the project started, but it consists of wheat, Munich, Special B and Biscuit.

2. A batch of Edelweiß, which I am particularly fond of:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=585203

3. A straight-up Hefeweizen consisting of 50/50 wheat and pilsner (I'll also order floor-malted for that one, for what it's worth) and Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops.

All three will use DanStar's Munich Classic,which by all accounts is a dry version of 3068.

I'll try to remember to post about the results on this thread.

Ron

I'm going to be a nerd and reference something called the Kolbach Index which measures a range of modification for the grains. More or less, based on which grain you were choosing, I'd be interested in whether you preferred a step mash, an infusion, or a decoction and what might work better with Continental grains and wheat beer.
My experience level is fairly low regarding what brand of malt might be best suited for certain processes to get the best tasting wit or weizen beer, so picking other folks brains on the forum is a good alternative.

Hi, Lefou -

Many of those terms are beyond my ken, and probably beyond my stovetop equipment; however here's what I do:

I "think" what I do is an infusion mash and batch sparge - the procedure is pretty much the same as this:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/11354805[/ame]

As for the sparge, I run the sparge water over the grains once, then recirculate it twice, for a total of three times.

With the Edelweiss, I bottle it on BrewDay+72 hours; the fermentation finishes in the bottle, which also has the effect of carbonating the beer, of course (in fact, it is actually a very nice, smooth carbonation). I've considered doing this with other beers of similar style, but the idea seems so tricky and fraught with potential tragedy that I've only had the guts to do it with Edelweiss, which is a tried-and-true recipe that is followed carefully.

I regret that this is not much information, but that's what I know -

Ron

PS - this is a complete sidebar, but from what I've observed, it "looks" like the method I'm using results in an efficiency of 65% to 70%. If you have any thoughts on the matter as to a more precise number using this method, I'd be interested in reading them so that my calculations on the Brewer's Friend app can be more dialed-in.

Thanks -

Ron

Well, here's something you may want to know. My local brew shop doesn't carry Weyermann floor malted Bohemian grain, so I had to get some insight on it. BSG and a few other shops selling the Bohemian Pils had info on the grain characteristics.
That particular grain may be less modified, so it will require a longer mash. It won't be fully malted so it will have more unconverted starch. To deal with that, I keep a second pot handy and use a thinner mash (2qt/lb or more) so one-third can be removed, boiled, then re-added. I do this once, so it's a single decoction.
As insurance, I also keep some amylase powder handy.

Your efficiency numbers are exactly the same as mine. The last two brews have given me 68-70% efficiency....and yes, your sparge method is similar to mine. I drain first runnings, then add all of my remaining sparge water to the grain bed, then stir. Second runnings get drained after 10-15 minutes. I've gotten some very good beers doing this but have had to buy a bit of extra malted wheat grain ( and amylase) to compensate for the lower efficiency numbers I was getting early on.

Good information, Lefou - many thinks.

When I ramp this project up, I'll review all of this and let you know how things go. I'll try to keep detailed notes and as well as answer any questions or engage in any specific issues. :mug:

Back