Wet vs. Dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicbrew2011

Reaction score
Can someone let me know if it is ok to use a wet yeast when the the recipe says to use dry? What kind of adverse effects can happen if I do it this way?

Stay (Sic) and keep the dream alive!

Which yeasts are you using? It really depends. Wet vs dry really isn't the biggest question.. it is what strain and are you pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast for your wort.

White labs American ale yeast but i can't find this exact yeast

Yes, there are american ale yeasts in liquid. You may not get the flavors the orignal creator of the recipe intended but you certainly won't make a bad beer.

us-05 is a clean yeast, and gives no flavor to any beer needing any yeast character. it is my favorite for apa's and american ipa's, but it doesn't work for most non-us beers. i usually use dry due to ease of storage, but i use liquid sometimes due to diversity and accuracy. what recipe and what yeast?

It's my uncles recipe for a pale ale that he made over the years and it says to use a white labs American ale yeast. I found a yeast that is actually the same product number as the one the recipe calls for but it's a wet yeast. I might just use it because it is so similar to what the recipe calls for. What do think? It should be ok shouldn't it?

Just FYI - White Labs doesn't make dry (powdered) yeast, but they do make dry (attenuation) yeast. That is most likely what your uncle's recipe was calling for. As already stated - WLP001.

Discerning pallet's often say wet. But I live in a hot climate and getting wet yeast shipped in the summer is a pain. I usually only make ale and US-05 dry yeast has been good to me not matter how hot the time of year was.

Back