Westmalle Problem. What the hell???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroberts1204

Reaction score
I just opened a 11.2 oz bottle of a Westmalle Tripel after having it sit upright in my fridge for a few days. Immediately after opening the bottle, it started pouring foam out of the top. After having paid about $5...I'm a little unhappy. Has this ever happened to anybody else? :mad:

You only paid $5 for it? Nice!

I haven't had a gusher before, but I have had flat ones in the past. I've been able to go back and get a refund when I've actually tried it in the past.

I've had the same on several different Belgian brands.
They're bottle conditioned to much higher pressure,
so some of them try to crawl out of the bottle.
Not a problem.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with a Westmalle Tripel. It had been sitting in the fridge for a few months. Took it out and placed it on the table and opened it up and it foamed all over the place. Lost about half the bottle...

Its a great beer but I feel like foaming out of the bottle is pretty weak. I was a little disappointed...but for some reason knowing that it has happened to other people makes me feel a little better. :p

Never had a foaming problem with Westmalle Tripel and I drink it a lot - I can buy in the supermarket for about $1-50.

Here's a rarer bottle I bought about a month ago - it was probably about 30 years old. Unfortunately, the beer itself was past it's best.

fk0jza.jpg

I paid $17 for a 22 oz of Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere (specialty beer stores in Philly have a 100% markup it seems). The same thing happened. It was also undrinkable. I've enjoyed that beer before but this bottle was sour enough to let us know something went wrong.

I hope that makes you feel better about your waste of $5 :)

Latest posts

Back